Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
This product looks interesting, but I'm hoping that someone in the OB family has first hand experience with this product. Would this be robust enough for Overlanding use. I'm thinking it would be cool to carry for day use, not necessarily for overnight sleeping.

IMG_0016.JPG

Reactions: Barbara Wada

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Looks like it takes up a fair amount of space even broken down. You have a solid bumper. Just pull up near a tree or a another rig with a bumper... lol

Reactions: dziner

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Looks like it takes up a fair amount of space even broken down. You have a solid bumper. Just pull up near a tree or a another rig with a bumper... lol
I often travel alone, so a second bumper isn't available. In the woods, or Jungle, finding stable mounting points are easy. In the desert, not as easy. I'm thinking this would work in that use case. I'm looking at my trip next year, through the Hi desert of Chile. Often, no treats around.

Reactions: Barbara Wada

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What about that roof rack one that folds out off the roof rack. That, I would think, would take up less real estate.

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

They are bulky and expensive. I got a collapsible hammock stand on amazon was $60 I believe and folds down really nice. I use it for trips that might not have many trees.

TxRiverman

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
Seems like a good concept but because hammocks stretch when you get in them and the tie off points aren't high enough off the ground,you will find yourself on the ground.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Seems like a good concept but because hammocks stretch when you get in them and the tie off points aren't high enough off the ground,you will find yourself on the ground.
Good point, however an ENO hammock measures approx 9'4" full length and the Roadie requires a minimum wheelbase of 7'10" to use. With the flared out support posts, you'll have the 9'4" or better with the minimum wheelbase. The OP's JKU has an approx wheelbase of 9'8" so it should work fine.

Jeff Tyson

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

I prefer hammock to tent. It's never been an issue around here because I have always had plenty of trees to choose from. But just like OP said, it doesn't do any good for solo trips where there aren't trees.

I don't like the roof top idea because 1: my rack probably won't have much room and 2: it's more open for air flow, especially where there aren't any trees. I'd prefer to at least have the jeep block some of the elements for me.

I think I'll make one like this that folds up nicely and can be stored easily on the roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk