Enlightenment and the Full Size Truck

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Up until a few months ago, our adventure rig was a well used, well built, well traveled Xterra. she took us pretty much everywhere we wanted to go, in one manner or another. I'm a DIY kinda guy so I spent countless hours here, and on the theNewX forum gleaning useful information on repairs, and modifications, tips and tricks, and stuff for "overland" or adventure/expedition type travel. Whenever I had an issue, a repair or mod required, or was looking for a new part or concept to bolt on to help solve a problem or make the adventure better there was always 100 folks offering 1000 pieces of well worn true and tried advice.

As our long term focus and life goals have changed, I bid farewell to the trusty old Xterra and said hello to a 2014 Tundra. This will be my new build. The plan is to make it an expedition and adventure worthy self-sustaining rig. I have already replaced all the suspension components added larger (and better) tires and wheels, and have bumpers, sliders, and a winch on their way. Most exciting of all, we ordered a Four Wheel Camper Hawk which should arrive in late winter of early spring.

And here is the thing of interest I've been learning over the past few months. Trucks are different. Full size trucks are more different...and full size truck owners are even more differenter as a whole. The truck seems more a symbol of the USofA, like apple pie and football, than a specific tool used for a specific, or non-specific task.
It has been an interesting journey so far, trying to source information on build queries that I have, as it pertains to utilizing a 4x4 pickup truck as a...well.....4x4 pick up truck. I'm certainly not making a judgement here at all, I just find it interesting that "the truck" has a special place in the USA that isn't necessarily associated with anything to do with off-road travel at all. Further, the modified, lifted, suspended, winched and bumpered up and lit up truck also has less to do with being associated with adventure travel, overlanding, off-roading, exploring, and gravel travel than it does with showing ones individuality in a concrete ocean of other trucks.

It's been an interesting beginning to this new adventure so far.

Reactions: livewithnoworries

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

And here is the thing of interest I've been learning over the past few months. Trucks are different. Full size trucks are more different...and full size truck owners are even more differenter as a whole. The truck seems more a symbol of the USofA, like apple pie and football, than a specific tool used for a specific, or non-specific task.

I like a full size truck because I'm a full sized guy. I have a house at one location, and some land and a hunting cabin another location so I haul stuff. And I'm a builder who builds stuff which needs hauled. An SUV or a 5 foot Tacoma bed will not work for me. A lot of my travel is Interstate, so my rig isn't lifted or wearing fat knobbies, it's rather stealthy actually. Yep, it's a tool for sure.

But, I'm boycotting Football.

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

I own a house and do most of my own work/remodeling so I need a full-size truck to haul lumber,drywall,insulation.
I also like the abundant interior space in it.
In the past,I've owned a '97 Jeep TJ and an '03 Grand Cherokee and I wasn't comfortable in either for extended periods/long trips.
I bought a 2012 RAM Power Wagon and it does everything I need of it.I've driven from Massachussetts to Moab twice,and multiple trips to New-Brunswick,Canada.
It has OE electric lockers on both ends,skid plates and a winch.I lifted it an inch and a half and fit 37s on it.
On trail,I very rarely wish I had a shorter wheelbase.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
My regular cab short bed (6.5 Feet) is Goldilocks to me. Long enough to not worry about death wobble on the highway and sleep in the back. Short enough (with IFS) to U turn on double track.
The factory suspension is fairly stout and capable.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Traveler I

NY
Up until a few months ago, our adventure rig was a well used, well built, well traveled Xterra. she took us pretty much everywhere we wanted to go, in one manner or another. I'm a DIY kinda guy so I spent countless hours here, and on the theNewX forum gleaning useful information on repairs, and modifications, tips and tricks, and stuff for "overland" or adventure/expedition type travel. Whenever I had an issue, a repair or mod required, or was looking for a new part or concept to bolt on to help solve a problem or make the adventure better there was always 100 folks offering 1000 pieces of well worn true and tried advice.

As our long term focus and life goals have changed, I bid farewell to the trusty old Xterra and said hello to a 2014 Tundra. This will be my new build. The plan is to make it an expedition and adventure worthy self-sustaining rig. I have already replaced all the suspension components added larger (and better) tires and wheels, and have bumpers, sliders, and a winch on their way. Most exciting of all, we ordered a Four Wheel Camper Hawk which should arrive in late winter of early spring.

It has been an interesting journey so far, trying to source information on build queries that I have, as it pertains to utilizing a 4x4 pickup truck as a...well.....4x4 pick up truck. I'm certainly not making a judgement here at all, I just find it interesting that "the truck" has a special place in the USA that isn't necessarily associated with anything to do with off-road travel at all. Further, the modified, lifted, suspended, winched and bumpered up and lit up truck also has less to do with being associated with adventure travel, overlanding, off-roading, exploring, and gravel travel than it does with showing ones individuality in a concrete ocean of other trucks.

It's been an interesting beginning to this new adventure so far.
I like the topic! I've owned all types of vehicles so I don't think I'm too biased in my opinion.

There will always be those who buy a truck, simply just to have a truck, regardless if they plan on using it for work, hauling or nothing at all. The self employed contractor who relies on the truck which in turn houses and feeds his family, also the guy who works at the high end tech company who may as well have bought a hybrid hatchback averaging 3-4x the mpg

Location and territory also take into play. Some people need the clearance and durability of trucks, and/or the use of 4wd, but like the bed for those random occasions.

Traditionally, the truck is used as a tool. A tool used for so many generations. We all grew up with them or saw them in the pictures of our grandfather's, father's, mother's and grandmother's. It is a symbol no doubt especially iconic to our past-time, and some people decided to continue that tradition in their own way. Similar to wearing a suit just for going to the grocery store, versus a more casual outfit. Gets the job done, but just in a different way depending on the end user.

I know people who have a business or are ranch hands with multiple trucks. One is beat up like crazy. Tools tossed in the back, rust, scratches, in need of work, off-roaded on all kinds of properties, pretty much abused like a tool as advertised. Meanwhile they have a brand new lifted truck sitting back at home that has, and never will see dirt.

I get what you mean though. I'm planning a full size build myself and offroad examples are few and far between, before getting into the "just for show" scene.

Reactions: trikebubble

CRB357

Rank 0

Traveler I

I run a full size Tundra on trails. Once you accept that you will scratch it to hell and pickup some dents etc, they go pretty good. So far, I've been everywhere I've wanted to go. I'm a big dude, so I appreciate the extra space and all the stuff I can bring along. Trails are so blown out these days that full size rigs don't suffer like they used to.

Reactions: livewithnoworries

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
There's plenty of overland build's on tundras.com and the guys over there will give you as much advice as you want. I just bought my Tundra for the purpose of overlanding and daily driver. I'm not going to baby her, but I'll build her up. Go check them out.

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have a Ram 1500. It is a tool for sure but also real comfortable and has plenty of room for my family and dogs. It has only been off the beaten path a few times but we plan to do more of that in the near future. Also need to figure out wheels/tires soon. The stock 20's look nice but the tires are absolute junk. I would prefer 18's with more side wall but I am not about spending $2k for wheels and tires right now.

ram4.JPG

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

After driving trucks for 30+ years on the job, I learned to love them. But now I am retired and have 3 big dogs, a chevy suburban suits my needs best. If I need truck work capabilities I put my utility trailer on back.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Full size van guy here, even long wheelbase at 155". Prefer full size vans over other vehicles because I can put more in them than in even a long bed pickup. I can put twelve foot lumber in my van and still close the doors. Have over ten feet from the rear of the driver's seat. AND, I can walk from the driver's seat all the way back without opening a door. That is super handy when stealth camping, a quick nap at a wayside stop, or the weather is just plain lousy.

Super utilitarian, super versatile, super strong (no death wobble that some guys seem so worried about w/ full size), great mileage, and durable. After so many years of using just about every other kind of vehicle for long-distance travel and camping, vans are the way to go for me.

roaddude_van-interior-9810-600.jpg

Last edited:

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I have a 99 Silverado that has been a daily at times, currently it’s a once a week vehicle because gas is expensive. I love the capability and space (have a cap on the back), and the fact that I don’t have to be concerned whether or not it can handle whatever I throw at it. We camp with it, and haul the pop up for the state park camping trips. We are debating using it as an overland rig, though it’s not as comfortable or efficient as our Outback.

I love owning a truck, and will always need one around based on my career and hobbies, so when the heavy Chevy dies, I’ll get another truck, and probably something I can build into an overland rig. The new F150s are pretty impressive (and quite out of my price range), and of course I’m always tempted by Tundras. We shall see what finances say when the time comes!

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Full size van guy here, even long wheelbase at 155". Prefer full size vans over other vehicles because I can put more in them than in even a long bed pickup. I can put twelve foot lumber in my van and still close the doors. Have over ten feet from the rear of the driver's seat. AND, I can walk from the driver's seat all the way back without opening a door. That is super handy when stealth camping, a quick nap at a wayside stop, or the weather is just plain lousy.

Super utilitarian, super versatile, super strong (no death wobble that some guys seem so worried about w/ full size), great mileage, and durable. After so many years of using just about every other kind of vehicle for long-distance travel and camping, vans are the way to go for me.

View attachment 47266
You should check out some van builds on www.cheaprvliving.com
There are some awesome builds out there.

Reactions: Road