Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Planning travels around Silverton and Ouray in late August so I am not worried about road conditions. I am staying in Ouray proper. I will have my dog with me so I don't want to do much of anything that will bounce him around the back of my JKU. He is a Great Dane/Bull Mastiff who weighed in at 172lbs a few months ago. He would make a terrible missile in the rig while bouncing off rocks. I have a 2017 Winter Edition JKU with a 2" AEV lift and will probably have a 34" tire by that time, if not 33" Patagonia M/T's.

Looking at doing two seperate days of trails, one day of hiking in town.

Day 1. Engineer Pass. My question is I do not want to go all the way to Lake City and do the long drive back. Can I head up to the pass to explore and then come back west bound again or is there an equally suited easy/moderate trail that would bring me back west bound I dont care if I go into Ironton or Silverton, just don't want to go all the way out to Lake City?

Day 2. Considering Silverton San Juan County Road 2 up to Minnie and Maggie and then maybe Picayne and Placer, then coming back into Silverton.

Anything I need to be aware of or any advice on routes that help me keep it easy peasy? Looking to enjoy the views, relax and let my dog chase a squirrel or two.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Alpine Loop Day 1 is a nice one day loop. I would never run the trail half way and then back. I have done this probably 20 times over the last 40 years.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I didnt see that as clearly on the maps I was looking at. So this puts me into Lake City but I can come back through Cinnamon, down to Animas and out through Silverton? That makes more sense than driving up and around to Montrose.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Day 2: I would hit Animas Forks, California Pass, Corkscrew Pass, by Red Mountain 1, on up into Ironton.

But I am far from expert on the area and would refer to Old man for advice.
There are soo many trails in the area.... it's worth multiple visits.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Yes, what you are describing is what is commonly called the Alpine Loop. I agree on the day 2 that Prerruner1982 proposed. Or optionally, Black Bear/Imogene loop.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I looked at Black Bear but going solo wont work. Really looks like you need a spotter above and around the falls.

I guess my bigger question is about two way traffic. Is there a preferred N/S/E/W direction on any of the routes I listed above. Obviously Poughkeepsie is a single direction with the two major obstacles....

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If your are an experienced off roader, you don't need a spotter. Then again I have been running it for 30 years.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

You can start off going Mineral Creek (just south of Ouray off highway 50) to the sign for Engineer pass were it starts you can run up Engineer to the top and turn around return to were it started from there you can drop down into Animas Forks and from there you have several choices, you can continue to explore California gulch to Hurricane pass to Corkscrew. (Which will return you to highway 50 so you can drive north back to Ouray that is doable if you start first thing in the morning) Those trails are pretty spectacular and other than a few spots those trails are not much more than a dirt road that require transfer case low to navigate the steepness of the grade. You can also from Animas forks take the southern route down to Silverton. I don't understand not wanting to go into Lake city it's pretty cool. But it is out of the way and Cinnamon pass (which take you to Animas forks) isn't anything to write home about.
I'm hoping to go with our OB front range group to this area in late July to do some train that we haven't done yet.
I think you will find 90% of these trails are easy, but take you to some of the most amazing view in the world.
Hope this helps?

Last edited: