Rank II

Enthusiast I

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Bertell
Member #

Has anyone ever seen a fully enclosed bed rack? I’m imagining a half height topper or cap with slots or bars for RTT mounting.

ABerte

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Bertell
Member #

Thanks for the rec. I’ve see these, looks like a solid product. I’m thinking though of something about half that height and made of solid material so as to be bear/theft proof, at least in theory. Surprised to not be finding anything on the market given the huge jump in demand for RTTs and bed racks. A half-height hard shell cap/rack system could provide security and preserve some aerodynamics.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Thanks for the rec. I’ve see these, looks like a solid product. I’m thinking though of something about half that height and made of solid material so as to be bear/theft proof, at least in theory. Surprised to not be finding anything on the market given the huge jump in demand for RTTs and bed racks. A half-height hard shell cap/rack system could provide security and preserve some aerodynamics.
There is a really nice one on the market another Ranger member of this forum has on his truck. You can even buy a kitchen that mounts in the side of it! Truck Caps, Pick-Up Truck Canopy & Camper Shells

Reactions: ABerte

ABerte

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Bertell
Member #

Oh yea, those are sleek caps! Pricey for sure but they seem well-built and fun to mod up with all the options and accessories. Maybe I can sell them my half-height idea. I’d be willing to lose that extra foot of storage space in the cap to have a more aerodynamic setup with my big ol’ RTT. Not to mention set up and breakdown of the tent would be way easier just a foot high over the lip of the bed instead of having to get on top of a full-size cap like the SmartEvo.

Reactions: GLOCKer