US Rocky Mountain emonomics and son - long trek to Denver via Yellowstone (cross regional post - US West/Rockies)

• HTML tutorial

emonomics

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

Friends,

Mulled and mulled over figuring out a rally point and it made my brain hurt because it would be too convoluted. So I resolved to leave it to the last minute and just write an inform for those of you that can bug out, drop in, be local, etc. (Poor decision - as I write this I realize some folks might have wanted to join with more notice). Anyway, below is a summary and date list of our journey from Alameda, CA to Denver, CO via Wyoming and Montana over the course of ~12 days. We tend to switch every other or two nights between camping and hotel/bnb. My son is now 12, and I haven't been up there since I was his age. RTT is mounted, school is out, I have been WFH for 15 months...so there is no time like the present!

Potential "hangouts":
  • Loneliest Highway - Wed 6/16 - ~Sat 6/19
  • Jackson, WY / Tetons - Sat 6/19 - Mon 6/21
  • Yellowstone - Mon 6/21 - Wed 6/23
  • Bozeman Area - Thurs 6/24
  • Mosey the slow way to Denver CO, via Cody, Casper, etc. eventually to I-25

Date Range: Tuesday, June 15 through Sunday, June 27.
(For me, I have to be like...online at work until Thursday 6/17 so I will be chasing cell signals during the day)
T 6/15 - Reno, NV because I haven't gambled since fall of 2019 (not hardcore, like Pai Gow poker and hold 'em)
W 6/16 - Work till around 2 or 3, then hit US-50 and sleep at Spencer Hot Springs
Th 6/17 - Early drive to Ely, find a signal around there to work, then find camping defaulting to Cave Lakes SP
F 6/18 - Maybe camp, maybe not as I putter up to SLC
S 6/19 - picking up my son in Salt Lake City midday - then drive to Alpine, WY for a hotel for two nights
S 6/20 - Tetons, Gros Ventre, fishing, napping, etc.
M 6/21 - Fishing, Tetons, camp near south entrance
T 6/22 - Obligatory Yellowstone drive and walk, camp outside west entrance
W 6/23 - Have booked white water rafting with Big Sky outfitters out of Gallatin - 1pm-4pm less challenging course. Hotel in Bozeman. Meeting my boss for the first time ever for dinner in Bozeman
Th 6/24 - Mosey back through the park, maybe stay around Cody or camp, maybe try to get down to Wind River to camp a night north of the dam
F 6/25 - Start making a real effort to go to Denver
S 6/26 - maybe do a long drive to Denver, maybe not
S 6/27 - definitely want to be in Denver and hopefully never operate a motor vehicle again ever

Well, that about sums it. I welcome feedback, suggestions, advice, etc. If anyone out there would like to meet for a beer or show us a creek that would be rad and by all means feel free to DM me to see if we can connect. I have some potential camp spots mapped and have our bear country strategy sorted - will tread very softly.

If this is an inappropriate post for content or placement, apologies and will take it down if so.

Be well,
Emerson, Jonas, and Zia