Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

I have the exact one that you did the video on. I love it! I got it at overland expo east 2019 and the device was free if I bought it during the expo. I actually linked it to my phone and was texting with my wife that was home during the expo. I had very spotty cell (AT&T) signal while at the expo and this device came in real handy. I have also used it while on the trail and thankfully I haven't needed to use the SOS button yet.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I have the exact one that you did the video on. I love it! I got it at overland expo east 2019 and the device was free if I bought it during the expo. I actually linked it to my phone and was texting with my wife that was home during the expo. I had very spotty cell (AT&T) signal while at the expo and this device came in real handy. I have also used it while on the trail and thankfully I haven't needed to use the SOS button yet.

They are great! What an awesome deal and a great use of one too! I hope I never have to use the SOS function, but it is comforting to know that I have a backup plan in case something goes very wrong.

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I picked up the Garmin Inreach Mini last year. Hoping I won't have to use it, but if I do, it's there.
I have a sister who uses the Inreach mini for backpacking. It seems to work well. She has used to communicate with us and share her location when she go into a sisutaiton that required her to leave the trail early. It has done everything she has asked it to so far.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a sister who uses the Inreach mini for backpacking. It seems to work well. She has used to communicate with us and share her location when she go into a sisutaiton that required her to leave the trail early. It has done everything she has asked it to so far.
Yes for back packing I think it is a necessity. You hear so many stories of people getting hurt, lost, etc. Had they had an emergency device like this, they would have been in a better situation.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

A few years ago I bought a GPS Communicator for emergency’s. If you are looking into purchasing a GPS device here is my personal experience using the SpotX. What GPS device do you own? If you have not bought one already, would you consider one?

Interesting to see positive reviews on Spot.

When researching GPS locators a few years ago for back country borderland adventures, all Spot had was similar to the Spot 3 Messenger that's out now, which is 1 way. The reviews leaned far more to the negative, with lots of "useless in the real world" type comments.

I went with the Garmin InReach--more advanced and reliable at the time--and quit researching options. I see reviews for Spot products are more positive now, though hover around 50-55%.

Though I've spent extensive time along the border camping alone for months in the desert, several times, I have yet to need it for emergency. That's the way with a lot of gear we use, don't really use it, and for some, don't actually even need it.

Nice to have in case, though.

I'm interested to see here what experience others have with Spot X 2way, how it fares in coming years, and to see what else they develop.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
The research I did, and talking to our guys here, I chose the Garmin inReach Explorer+. Crawling up the Dalton Highway, with very few services far apart, I kept it on my 72 hour bag, Bluetooth tethered to my iPad. Traveling alone, that’s the only way family would let me go. It pings Iridium satellites every 10 minutes and it could provide almost real-time tracking (via a web page) and two-way text. How good was it? On the way back, I told them I would grab something on the way in. They saw me stop at a friend’s burger joint, called my cell, placed their order...

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've used gen 1, 2 and 3 spots. Never had the ones you can send custom messages with but never felt the need to have that feature either. with the OK, HELP, and 911 buttons on the units. I left them mostly over cost. Their prices would creep up year after year with no prior warning from the company. YOu would just see a new charge on your account for 40 or 50 dollars more than last year.

They didn't make it easy to leave they have it setup to where you HAVE to call in to cancel your membership and it takes the better part of an hour to get it done

with their introduction of a monthly plan I may take them up on that and reup my membership.

Reactions: rkerr188

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

The research I did, and talking to our guys here, I chose the Garmin inReach Explorer+. Crawling up the Dalton Highway, with very few services far apart, I kept it on my 72 hour bag, Bluetooth tethered to my iPad. Traveling alone, that’s the only way family would let me go. It pings Iridium satellites every 10 minutes and it could provide almost real-time tracking (via a web page) and two-way text. How good was it? On the way back, I told them I would grab something on the way in. They saw me stop at a friend’s burger joint, called my cell, placed their order...
Exactly what we have and love it. Can't recommend it enough!

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Contributor I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Powers
I carry and have used the InReach.

Riding my Honda In Central Oregon miles from anyone and hours from an ER a couple years back. Left leg is broken, but the original pain felt like I destroyed my ankle (another story!).

The road was filled with rocks and ruts and then I came to this thick sand like (talcum powder?) material covering the road. I’ve ridden in this moondust before - just power through…. I should have stopped, thought about the rocks buried under the powder and chosen lines accordingly. Instead, “powered through it.” Went down hard. Activated the InReach SOS (worked!) after I noticed 4 quarts of oil leaking besides me (upper left corner by the rocks), and walking out seemed impossible.

Process went good and learned some things: The sun was directly overhead, it was probably 30 minutes into the event before I adjusted the screen setting to be able to see. I did have the InReach setup on bluetooth with my phone, but forgot about using the phones keypad to communicate back/forth with the staff. It was a tedious to scroll through and enter each letter. I finally spent 10 minutes and detailed how they could best help by communicating with immediate medical help that was only 30 minutes away, versus the County Sheriff (who had been contacted) putting a team together, which would have taken hours. Well, the event from damage to help arriving to delivery to local medical team, on site treatment (IV, pain meds, splinting) to the trip to the ER was still probably four hours.

Anyways, all said = it worked as designed and I’m glad I carry it. I equate it to the “wear safety glasses when you mow the yard”. I’ve always told my boys, “if you mow your yard for the next 50 years a rock is coming up at your face….if you know when just wear them on that day, otherwise, you have to wear them every time”.

Before and after it also gives the wife security of knowing I’m not “by myself” and she can click the URL I send her and see where I’m at anytime. We also use Google for the live map, but the satellite through InReach is 100%.