Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Come camping with us! We are headed to Elsie Lake Idaho on the evening of July 26 through Sunday July 28th. In full disclosure, I have never been to Elsie Lake. I have compiled the following information, and if anyone has been there or can give current conditions please let us know in the comments!

Getting there: From Coeur d’Alene go east on Interstate 90 for 39 miles. Take exit 54, turn right toward Big Creek Rd. Go 9.5 on Big Creek Road to a T-junction, turn right. In 2.2 miles you will reach a T-junction, turn right. Drive another 1.9 miles down a winding road to Elsie lake. There appears to be camp sites on a road to the right and left (NW and SW) sides of the lake. GPS coordinates are 47.426943, -116.023622 in Shoshone County, Idaho.

Accommodations: Elsie Lake is 16.2 acres in size and there are public camping spots along the shore are first come, first served. There is at least one vault toilet but be prepared to supply your own toiletries. There is no running water and I would recommend bringing plenty as I wouldn’t recommend using the lake water. Elevation is 5,072 feet, so it is likely to be in the 50’s in the mornings and warm up to the 70’s by afternoon in July. As always, there is a chance it will rain and be cooler!

Schedule: For anyone that wishes to caravan, we will be leaving the Mobil 1 gas station off of Sherman Ave (Exit 15) in Coeur d’Alene at 6:00pm on July 26th. Upon arrival at Elsie Lake, activities can include fishing, hiking, and mountain biking. I understand that there are quite extensive motorcycle/ATV trails on the ridge to the west of Elsie Lake, and there are Kelly humps to keep out vehicles. There is also an upper Elsie Lake to the southwest of the lake, reached by hiking trail. We will be leaving on Sunday afternoon, but feel free to stay as long as you like.

BRING YOUR OWN SYRUP & BUTTER! WE WILL BE PROVIDING HOT PANCAKES ON SUNDAY MORNING FOR EVERYONE!

References:
https://thedyrt.com/camping/idaho/idaho-lake-elsie
https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/route/be32fbf2-7253-42ac-954b-c34102eabe91/

View Rally Point
Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow and Jedi

wanderlusttaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
ChrisAmy
Last Name
Naegele
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7DRQ
Mike,
My wife (Amy) and I (Chris) will be attending. We will try to make it to the caravan point, but I am starting a new job, and not sure how my end time will coordinate. We can meet the group there if we are running late.

Reactions: Mike Dubya

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Mike,
My wife (Amy) and I (Chris) will be attending. We will try to make it to the caravan point, but I am starting a new job, and not sure how my end time will coordinate. We can meet the group there if we are running late.
No problem, we will try to save as many spots as we can for those that arrive later Friday and Saturday morning. Don't forget to RSVP!

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Jabba the Mutt and I will be there, the Okd Man may actually make an appearance as well.
So glad you and Ellis can make it! Bring the kayak as well, we'll be there with one. My dog officially has been uninvited after being such a brat at McCrosky :).

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I decided to hit the rally instead. Hope to see you all at other meet-ups though either before or after this one!
Thanks for the invite!
-Aaron

Reactions: Mike Dubya

wanderlusttaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
ChrisAmy
Last Name
Naegele
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7DRQ
I decided to hit the rally instead. Hope to see you all at other meet-ups though either before or after this one!
Thanks for the invite!
-Aaron
Aaron Niemi,
My wife and I use to be members of NW Overland, and got away from it for a couple of years. We are now back into Overlanding, built up a new rig, and moved to Spokane. We are trying to get tied into this overlanding community and are looking for some local folks to go out with. If you are so inclined, we are up for some outings. Feel free to contact me (Chris) @ 253.732.2103 or wanderlusttaco@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Christopher Naegele

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Aaron Niemi,
My wife and I use to be members of NW Overland, and got away from it for a couple of years. We are now back into Overlanding, built up a new rig, and moved to Spokane. We are trying to get tied into this overlanding community and are looking for some local folks to go out with. If you are so inclined, we are up for some outings. Feel free to contact me (Chris) @ 253.732.2103 or wanderlusttaco@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Christopher Naegele
Definitely! I'm almost always game for exploring, tinkering and getting outside!

wanderlusttaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
ChrisAmy
Last Name
Naegele
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7DRQ
Aaron Niemi, not sure how to do a private message. Want to pick your brain about places to go around this area, are you available for a conversation?

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Aaron Niemi, not sure how to do a private message. Want to pick your brain about places to go around this area, are you available for a conversation?
Hey Buddy, I know we already chatted yesterday, but just FYI to start a message with someone you can just mouse-over their screen name and then click the start conversation button.
HTH (Hope that helps)
-Aaron

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I'm so excited for next weekend! We got a new Gazelle T4 tent and this will be our first time using it!
My brother may also make the trip, he will be coming with his kids and plans on riding trails with his dirt bikes.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I have to drop to a maybe. I may have to take my Mom's dog in to cross the Rainbow Bridge this week, so I'd want to stick around for her.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Ugh, we've hit another glitch. Both our Fire Chief and Deputy are gone for a week starting Tuesday, leaving Ellis as the only officer in the Dept. It's wildfire season, so he needs to stay in the area.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
***Update!! Weather in the area for the weekend of June 21-23 is calling for thunder storms, rain, wind, and cold! We are moving this event to July 26-28***

Reactions: britz