DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
On to my next adventure area. Got the day use map and am starting to plan a route. Another area not yet covered by the Purple Lizard.

So, right off I got a question.

Ridge Road campsites. Any one know anything about them.

They do not show up in searches or on the interactive camping map I have shared in other posts.
20211109_232551.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got the first scouting route figured out

I plan to come out of Moshannon at Medix Run and then take 555 into Benezette turning left onto Summerson Rd. Then onto Porcupine rd following Dents Run Rd back to 555. Then left into Hicks Run Rd to check out the camping area and then Barr Hollow to Huston Hill to Sheddy to Mason Hill (checking out the Bucktail Overlook) back to 555. Then left onto 120 to take a right onto Grove Hill rd and then starting the tedious task of scouting for those campsites. And enjoying all the vistas.

I can then easily make this connect with my Sproul route.

Good times. I can not believe today flew by with no dirt road timeScreenshot_20211113-160934.png

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

On to my next adventure area. Got the day use map and am starting to plan a route. Another area not yet covered by the Purple Lizard.
Does this place have some decent trails and sites? Comparable to BESF or no
So, right off I got a question.

Ridge Road campsites. Any one know anything about them.

They do not show up in searches or on the interactive camping map I have shared in other posts.
View attachment 215443

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Cody_Gorsuch
Had to figure out where your question was.

Well. So far I have not found the sites yet.

As far as roads. It is pretty hard to beat BESF. I am sure a few roads in Elk will be fun but most are just normal State Forest roads.

That being said...if you are looking for "off road challenges" stay going to BESF. If you want a great dirt road system...head to Moshannon and Elk.

For scenery and wildlife...Elk beats BESF.

Moshannon has a few roads that will rival BESF...but again not as much camping.

Rothrock has much nicer camping...and is much more scenic than BESF.

I am pretty much over BESF until the popularity wanes some.

I did not get to Elk SF today. But did get to spend 3 hrs in Moshannon.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Once hunting season winds down I plan to do some Dirt Road scouting in Elk State Forest.

Since Purple Lizard Maps does not have a map here yet, I will be using the public use map from the forest service and checking to make sire roads and gates check out.

Main scouting will be the motorized campsites that seem to be fairly secret still.

Not sure when I will get dirt on tires here(as I have tried the last couple weekends...but can not get time to get past Moshannon SF)

The Elk herd seekers should have settled down by now. The area is pretty popular in the fall, and it seems Ridge Road is a popular stretch of road...but the rest doesn't seem to be too popular.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We went up to the Elk Country Visitor Center yesterday for a workshop on shed hunting.

It was great and very informative.

If you have never been to the Winslow Hill area and the visitor center just outside of Benezette, you need too.

Had hoped to get on Ridge Road. But everything up there is a smooth sheet of ice.

It was nice getting up to forest area. Will be even nicer when I can get deep into the forest...both to find the campsites and maybe a big ole Elk shed

Reactions: Dusther210