Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I am building a tundra. I used a duel battery kit. Upgrading the alternator is not the best way. You have to increase your charging wire also. The battery isolator will only charge one at a time. And I hear at low rpm it doesn’t charge.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you want to mod a tundra 150 amp in then yes. For a crap ton of money you can get a custom 200amp that bolts in. I went with the 150 amp tundra style. Have you looked over in the MUD forum? Photoman over there makes a conversion. Its real simple. That's what I did.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
Some people in Jeeps are reporting a 2 mpg bump because load is being taken off of the alternator. Solar is expensive, but it might be your answer.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Some people in Jeeps are reporting a 2 mpg bump because load is being taken off of the alternator
I would like to see how they did that math. It takes about 90 watts to run a vehicle in the daytime (cant use solar at night). That equates to .120 hp. (100 watts =.134 hp) You gain or loose that much on tire pressure. Assuming they didn't remove the alternator, the drag from the belt is going to be around .01hp.

The stock FJ80 alternator is 80 amp. Add in a second battery and your at 100% of its output. To be close to covering just that you would want no less that 120 watt panel.
The hood mounted panels also are nowhere as efficient as one mounted with airflow under it. Its a heat issue. If the panel was on the hood, it should be over 150 watt.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I would like to see how they did that math. It takes about 90 watts to run a vehicle in the daytime (cant use solar at night). That equates to .120 hp. (100 watts =.134 hp) You gain or loose that much on tire pressure. Assuming they didn't remove the alternator, the drag from the belt is going to be around .01hp.

The stock FJ80 alternator is 80 amp. Add in a second battery and your at 100% of its output. To be close to covering just that you would want no less that 120 watt panel.
The hood mounted panels also are nowhere as efficient as one mounted with airflow under it. Its a heat issue. If the panel was on the hood, it should be over 150 watt.
I'm just repeating what they told me. It was in a diesel if that makes a difference. No spark plugs.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm just repeating what they told me. It was in a diesel if that makes a difference. No spark plugs.
All Good. Even less hp draw then.
I've squeaked 2mpg more out of things, its normally not too easy unless the vehicle was purposely restricted. That was how K&N could claim the numbers they did for their air cleaners.