Electrical Help? Inverter Tripping Breaker

• HTML tutorial

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have a 1,500 watt inverter installed on a second battery. It has an inline breaker in between the battery and the inverter. It works fine. I can run a 500 watt margarita machine or several chargers totaling 300 watts, no problem. However, when I try to run this portable kuerig machine I bought (OxxBoxx) I hear the inverter alarm sound and the in-line breaker kicks off. I can see the watt reading on the inverter crank up to 980 watts as the heater turns on before the breaker kicks off. Any ideas?
- Inverter: - Breaker: - OxxBoxx: https://oxx.com/oxx-store/oxx-coffeeboxx-black-ops/

The OxxBoxx is 1,450 watts and the inverter is 1,500 constant and 3,000 max. I suppose it is just too close to the limit of the constant draw. I should have installed a slightly larger inverter.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I can see the watt reading on the inverter crank up to 980 watts as the heater turns on before the breaker kicks off. Any ideas?
- Inverter: - Breaker: - OxxBoxx: https://oxx.com/oxx-store/oxx-coffeeboxx-black-ops/

The OxxBoxx is 1,450 watts and the inverter is 1,500 constant and 3,000 max. I suppose it is just too close to the limit of the constant draw. I should have installed a slightly larger inverter.
Dumb question, is the vehicle feeding the battery when you place that load on the inverter? How much battery is on the other end of the inverter?

At nearly 1500 watts, 115 amps at 13v plus any inefficiency in the wire and inverter, you're pulling juice quick. Unless it is a massive bank, that will cause a noticeable voltage drop. If you aren't supplementing the battery, my guess is problems at the input side. If you are supplementing the battery it could be the overload protection on the inverter, like you mentioned.
I just know that's about the draw of my portable winch and even a short tug on my old deep cycle will shut down any inverter I have with low voltage alarms.

Reactions: Mouflon

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks. The inverter is running off a second battery - Optima Yellow Top D75. The inverter is connected via 5’ of 4 AWG.

As you mentioned, I can hear the inverter alarm sound just before the breaker trips, but didn’t consider that it could be the input side. I tried the same with engine on and the second battery receiving charge with the same result. The battery could be weak and dropping voltage too quickly, will check that. Thanks again,

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I would probably bump up the gauge of the input wires as well. Optima's are not the best on high current draws.

Reactions: Mouflon

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thank you for the replies. The battery was on its way out. Replaced it and the inverter is running well again. Many thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk