Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Looks like electric chainsaws are getting really nice these days. Does anyone carry one with you in your rig? I've never carried one just because I didn't want the hassle of also carrying and potentially spilling gasoline and other fluids on/in my rig. An electric chainsaw seems like I could keep topped up on a charger and ready to go at any time.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Greenworks 80v and love it. Use it as much as I can. It has never given me problems in almost 3 years

Reactions: Outdoordog
D

Dave in AZ

Here, best reviewer on youtube, Project Farm. He has 3 shiws on electric chainsaws. This one is on compact saws, which is probably what you want for overland. Kobalt won surprusingly, then dewalt. The supercompact 8" ones also covered.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Here, best reviewer on youtube, Project Farm. He has 3 shiws on electric chainsaws. This one is on compact saws, which is probably what you want for overland. Kobalt won surprusingly, then dewalt. The supercompact 8" ones also covered.

I think I've watched almost all of his videos, even if I'm not getting the products he's testing, it's just so well done.

Reactions: HighVoltOverland

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ

I've never seen a supercompact chainsaw. Looks like it'd be fun to carve a Thanksgiving turkey with one.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a Greenworks 80v and love it. Use it as much as I can. It has never given me problems in almost 3 years
I have this one. Its about 4 years old. works great. about the same as my old gas powered with the same chain size.

Reactions: K12

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I found myself asking this several years back, definitely more options in the market now

I purchased a pruning blade for my reciprocating saw as a stop gap for a trip (also only cost like 10 bucks) and never got around to actually getting a chainsaw as that stinking blade has been so useful and exceeded anything I’ve needed from trail clearing up to 10” thick logs and branches, to processing firewood around camp

Also so nice to not worry about new batteries, or gas, or bar oil

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I put a 2000 watt inverter in my truck and it’ll run the $40 homelite electric chainsaw from Home Depot no problem with a 100 ft extension cord.

I’ve also used the ryobi battery powered chainsaw while actually clearing trees and cutting firewood and was impressed. Both beat doing it by hand if you’ve got the need and the space.

Reactions: Blu12T

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
I run ego tools in and around the house so picked up the 14" saw 3 years ago and love it for adventures. It's helped clear roads and fell trees for processing all the firewood. Lately I've been looking into a dewalt 20" as I carry a few cordless items in my kit so having matchig gear would save on packing being they use the same batteries.

Reactions: Blu12T

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I use the Dewalt 20v chain saw. Works great for my needs. I've used it to clear a few small logs on trails. I've mostly used it to process firewood from downed trees at camp though.

I went that route because I already carry a Dewalt 20v impact and charger in the rig.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have an 18V Ryobi chainsaw with a 12" blade and that little saw has cut a lot without fail. I'm so impressed with it I'm going to eventially order Ryobi's 40V 18" chainsaw! With those two I should be able to handle most chores around the house and on the road!

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have the RYOBI 40V HP Brushless 14 in. Battery Chainsaw (see at Home Depot).

image (25).jpg

Full honest review here, as I've been using it for several years now both in my yard and on the trail.

PROS- The battery life is great, I have 2 batteries but rarely on a job in my yard have I needed to swap over to #2. The charger is great and all the lights and indicators are easy to use. I also like how firmly and secure the battery feels attached. It's a nice sized saw, not too big or small, I have felled a few large Pines in my yard with no issues. The chains are widely available and are pretty inexpensive.

CONS- In my experience, this thing drips too much bar & chain oil. So much so that I keep it on a sheet pan when not in use in my shed. When on the road for a few days, it looks like about 1/2oz lost in the truck bed. Not the worst but still a huge mess. Another common problem for me is this chain loosens quickly, it will need to be checked often or it will fall off mid-cut.

For a cheap saw that I can take anywhere, it gets the job done well. I would buy again, but I'm sure better options are out there.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I carry the Makita 36v 14" chainsaw. Have had it for several years and been impressed with what it will cut and the battery life. Major influence for Makita is that I have a bunch of other Makita tools and batteries that are interchangeable. can bring along an impact and small angle grinder and share batteries and charger. I pack the single battery charger since it is a lot smaller than the double charger, and batteries charge fairly quickly on the off chance I need more than one pair to clear the path. Easy enough to top them off while travelling after clearing each section of downed trees. We keep it stored in a fabric case in a compartment where the rear seats were in the JK and plan on adding a scabbard to the rear tire carrier to place it in while on the trail especially in the springtime here in the PNW after the winter winds have blown down trees everywhere. I also keep the bar oil in a small bottle when the saw is in storage in the Jeep as I have had many saws seep oil and make a mess, its easy to drain it back into the bottle when done using it on a trip.
1703004424944.png

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I had some Greeenworks 24V tools so I bought the GW24V chainsaw wo/battery super cheap, I bought the GW 24V air compressor and 1/2" impact also. All run on the same battery. Batteries recharge fast using my inverter. 6 years old and chain is still sharp.

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
I use the Craftsman 20V 10in. I have the collection of 20V Craftsman at home so it made sense to keep like-for-like on the batteries.
It works well for my needs, small tree clearing, small landscaping and firewood collection. Not the best chain but replaced with a better one once it dulled out. For $99 worth it. One 4Ah battery will last me a long weekend of camping of firewood collection. Another plus for it, its size/weight. My tiny wife and daughter feel comfortable using it and having control.

Reactions: bcmedicxj

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I'm attached to the 18V Ryobi line of tools. I use them daily for work & since I have a dozen batteries, I purchased the brushless chainsaw. It came with a 12" bar, but it has enough guts to pull a 14" bar/chain.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Just going back on my comment of the 18V Ryobi.....I simply bring this along for firewood chores. If I was heading somewhere after a storm & NEEDED to get thru, than my Stihl MS260 is on board.

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
I have the Craftsman 20v and have been happy with it. I mounted a battery charger and inverter in the XJ to keep a second battery at the ready.