El Cheapo Maxtrax Storage Bag

• HTML tutorial

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

Due to concerns about thievery & UV exposure, I've been contemplating the notion of using a bag to store my Maxtrax in instead of the external mounts I currently use. Maxtrax sells a bag for $150 and others range from $85. Nice bags I am sure, but way too much for me.

I noticed that the traction bags out there look very similar to soft double rifle bags, which got the old hamster wheels turning. There are tons of double rifle bags out there that fit the bill (just needs to be around 48-50" long), and I found this NcStar bag for 34 bucks. I like this one in particular because it isn't too tacticool'ed out (would you like some MOLLE for your MOLLE?), yet still has that military look that evokes concern from my neighbors.

Construction seems to be pretty darn good with 600D PVC material inside and out. Stitching looks solid and has an apparent water proof lining (looks like vinyl). I don't believe the bag is anywhere near water proof, but the vinyl lining will probably prevent most muck from leaking out.

Both sides of the bag have a removable foam insert and the center divider is removable as well. I took out one foam insert and the divider to fit my two Maxtrax, and it has some room to spare. I am pretty sure it will fit four, but cannot verify unless someone in SF has two more to check.
IMG_2589.JPGIMG_2591.JPGIMG_2592.JPGIMG_2593.JPGIMG_2594.JPG

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Due to concerns amount thievery & UV exposure, I've been contemplating the notion of using a bag to store my Maxtrax in instead of the external mounts I currently use. Maxtrax sells a bag for $150 and others range from $85. Nice bags I am sure, but way too much for me.

I noticed that the traction bags out there look very similar to soft double rifle bags, which got the old hamster wheels turning. There are tons of double rifle bags out there that fit the bill (just needs to be around 48-50" long), and I found this NcStar bag for 34 bucks. I like this one in particular because it isn't too tacticool'ed out (would you like some MOLLE for your MOLLE?), yet still has that military look that evokes concern from my neighbors.

Construction seems to be pretty darn good with 600D PVC material inside and out. Stitching looks solid and has an apparent water proof lining (looks like vinyl). I don't believe the bag is anywhere near water proof, but the vinyl lining will probably prevent most muck from leaking out.

Both sides of the bag have a removable foam insert and the center divider is removable as well. I took out one foam insert and the divider to fit my two Maxtrax, and it has some room to spare. I am pretty sure it will fit four, but cannot verify unless someone in SF has two more to check.
View attachment 71677View attachment 71678View attachment 71679View attachment 71680View attachment 71681

This is a cool gear hack.

I don't hang/display my Maxtrax or Traction-Jacks. My Traction-Jacks came with a very durable bag (made by BROG) but the MaxTrax didn't. I haven't had a good solution to making them easy to deal with in the trailer or tow vehicle and don't want to mount them in a permanent place inside. They are not the easiest thing to slide gear across or up against. Your inexpensive solution will solve that for me.

Cool solution, thanks!

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I ended up getting a soft Double Rifle Case from the same outfit @willnicks put in his original post, though got the black one with zippered pouches on the front, which I use for straps and stuff. Same price, only $33.99. It's available on amzn, too, though their price jumps around depending on whether they're selling it or it's third party vendor only.

The one I got is a bit shorter than the green one willnicks has, but still fits FOUR maxtrax snugly. Had to remove one of the foam liners, as he did, but am able to get both pair in there and still zip it up. The description for mine doesn't say it's 600D PVC but just says Heavy Duty PVC Material.

After using it to store my maxtrax on an eight month adventure to the mountains, swamps, bayous, and desert and storing it loaded inside my trailer, on top of the tonneau cover, or strapped to the rack, and throwing it around wherever I needed to store it when in camp, I can see there are definite wear spots, especially at points where the tracks or nubs rub the fabric and along the bottom, mostly from the truck-liner inside my trailer, I think.

Still, for thirty-four bucks it is a pretty damned handy way to keep both sets together and out of sight. I often just stratchit-strapped it under my canoe while it was strapped to my tonneau cover for highway travel. If anyone is interested and would like to see two pair and how they fit, or the wear holes I've noticed, let me know and I'll get some pics together.

Last edited:

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
When I got my recovery boards I was afraid they would get stolen and the other thing was damn almost all the mounting systems were a ton of money. Went to Walmart picked up a ratchet start and bicycle lock for under $20 and it’s worked great since. I drive up and down the Easter US with them mounted and till now they been solid. IMG_6904.JPGIMG_6905.JPG

Reactions: Louiston

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
When I got my recovery boards I was afraid they would get stolen and the other thing was damn almost all the mounting systems were a ton of money. Went to Walmart picked up a ratchet start and bicycle lock for under $20 and it’s worked great since. I drive up and down the Easter US with them mounted and till now they been solid. View attachment 124227View attachment 124229
I do the same thing using 2 ROK straps and a bicycle lock. When they get muddy they can hang off the spare tire rather than messing up all my gear inside the truck.

Reactions: AD Davis

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

ARB and MaxTrax are proud of the products. I am sure there is a study tariff on everything coming from AUS, but man... my first set of knockoffs were $65 and ahve lasted me tow years. A little fading but thats it. Have used them about a dozen times. No cracks or issues. The second set I won in some online raffle and they came with a bag. $150 for $350 boards is absurd. I can get a nice winch for that price.

Great hack with the rifle bag.

I like this guys reviews. He is thorough and has no bias. Interesting watch:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Due to concerns about thievery & UV exposure, I've been contemplating the notion of using a bag to store my Maxtrax in instead of the external mounts I currently use. Maxtrax sells a bag for $150 and others range from $85. Nice bags I am sure, but way too much for me.

View attachment 71677View attachment 71678View attachment 71679View attachment 71680View attachment 71681
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:

For those of us that do not run Max Trax, do you think that those of us who run X-Bull and it's clones, might fit a pair in this double rifle case? I ask because 2 X-Bull= approximately 3-4 Max Trax in stacked height. Did you ever get to test 4 at one time? The bags my OSRICH boards came with are fairly fragile with continuous use (zipper), as are the other clones that come with bags. They are the same, just multi branded depending on final middle man retailer..

As someone posted.......................NICE HACK:sunglasses: and thanks for the link....green, black, camo=nice. NcStar bag

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:

Did you ever get to test 4 at one time?
See my reply (#5) above.

Reactions: Desert Runner

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi

What a great idea! I don‘t like displaying my Maxtrax and this was the perfect solution.
Thanks for the heads up

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I was looking at these just to keep the sun from making the boards brittle over time but the rifle bag looks more heavy duty.
board bag

AD Davis

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Florida, USA
Member #

I'm still looking for the right case. It needs to hold four MaxTrax and have the right amount of molle on the outside for extra top secret squirrel type stuff.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I just bought it for my non-maxtrax boards and they (2) fit just fine. Good product for $25.
Price has dropped quite a bit,....sub $10.00 (good price). The big question is what type of boards you bought, as a Amazon commenter said his off-brand did not fit.

(A) What did you buy?........X-Bull or a clone etc, as they re very available and affordable. Some X-Bull clones have a optional bag, some don't..

(B) The included bags get mixed reviews and are pretty fragile (zippers). how do you like them, as far as quality goes? Will they stand-up to continuous use ?

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I have clone - don't remember who makes them. Prolly got 'em from Amazon. They fit just fine.

Bag quality is okay for what it does. I don't know if it would stand up to numerous pack/unpack cycles, but I don't plan on needing the boards that much.

For under $10 I don't think you can go wrong. YMMV of course.