Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ever since I saw my avatar XJ for sale online nearly a decade ago (nope I didn't buy it) I have been fascinated with outfitting vehicles in unique ways, and ultimately overlanding. As much as I would love to buy all the latest and greatest (would not be wheeling a ZJ), my budget does not allow for much at all, so most often creative and outside the box (Junkyard) upgrades are my only hope. I have been wanting for some time to get my spare out of the rear hatch, but didn't want to strap it down to my roof rack. So I have found how I want to mount my spare, but I have not decided where...

I am thinking an OEM tire carrier off of a jeep liberty or a YJ/TJ when they were still metal.

$_57tjmnt.jpg
or

8b98b4f30ecd40cdad9507a46f96b50fsparetm.jpg

And use some Simpson strong tie 12 ga bars as the backing/mounting bracket and grade 8 hardware.

Now roof rack makes the most sense, HOWEVER I have thought of another idea that I am sure is not smart... I want to use the mount and bars and mount on my hood like the old Land Rovers. I want the tire on the passenger side and a hood vent on the driver side. I am thinking that with how thick the hood is and being steel not fiberglass that it could possibly work well, What I am not looking for is this.

0129071122bondo.jpg

tirertrd.jpg

But rather something built solid and will not come off in a roll over or rear end situation. Thoughts? am I special needs for thinking this or does anyone think this is plausible?

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I mean you can make anything work if you want to, but personally, I would not mount anything to the hood. I spend a lot of time under there, and even just a hood falling on you sucks, now adding the weight of a wheel/tire/mount just seems like a recipe for disaster for me. Not saying it couldn’t work, and I get the logic, but I think the pitfalls outweigh the benefits. Your mileage may vary (and suffer with added drag...)

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I mean you can make anything work if you want to, but personally, I would not mount anything to the hood. I spend a lot of time under there, and even just a hood falling on you sucks, now adding the weight of a wheel/tire/mount just seems like a recipe for disaster for me. Not saying it couldn’t work, and I get the logic, but I think the pitfalls outweigh the benefits. Your mileage may vary (and suffer with added drag...)
Not to mention the visibility issues... Back of the vehicle seems like the best option.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Not to mention the visibility issues... Back of the vehicle seems like the best option.
I know the back is the best, however unfortunately I am not in a position to invest or have skills required to fabricate a rear tire carrier. I could (and I am sure will) put it in the rear of my roof rack. I just wanted to kick out a "redneck engineering" idea. The key is I really don't want it in the hatch as I want to put in a cubby from mountain vista fabrication.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
What size tires are you running?
Currently 225/75R15, got a set of 5 brand new take offs(still had nipples on the tread) with rims from a TJ for 200. When budget allows I plan on going 31/10.5/15, but no bigger than that, and that's several months/a year away.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Hope you enjoy hoisting a tire up on your roof rack, and then having to get it back down again when you need it... maybe try that first before comitting to the idea. (Plus that takes away valueable space for other things on the roof)

Even though it takes up space inside, it’s really a great place for a spare because it is easy to get to. Very practical.

If it were me I would wait unti you can put it on the rear hatch, or leave it inside...

James

Reactions: Bouncer

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Hope you enjoy hoisting a tire up on your roof rack, and then having to get it back down again when you need it... maybe try that first before comitting to the idea. (Plus that takes away valueable space for other things on the roof)

Even though it takes up space inside, it’s really a great place for a spare because it is easy to get to. Very practical.

If it were me I would wait unti you can put it on the rear hatch, or leave it inside...

James
You make a very valid point. GAHHH why do people always have to come in being logical and throwing me off of my impractical ideas?!?

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

You make a very valid point. GAHHH why do people always have to come in being logical and throwing me off of my impractical ideas?!?
At the same time, a 29" or 31" tire weighs next to nothing. You're probably only at 40# or so. If you were running 35s or larger, I'd stay away from the roof rack for sure (86#+).

I'd be inclined to just keep the spare in the cargo area and put some storage boxes on your roof rack if you need more space. They'd be light and easy to get to, while keeping your spare in an ideal location for when you need it.

Reactions: Arailt

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

40lbs PLUS wheel weight, all being lifted over your head while in the mud... during a rainstorm... on an uphill grade...

My wife would also remind me about the tire’s air weight also... since it’s compressed it must weigh more than regular air, right???

:)

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Could be!!!!

She was helping me move an air compressor once and asked why I hadn’t let the air out, complaining about how heavy it was...

that joke will never die :)

S

SubeeBen

Awesome air compressor joke or not. Ha ha . My wife would probably say the same thing. Gotta lovem

Reactions: Azb