First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Hey everyone,

I'll be spending the weekend in Edmonton this coming weekend and was planning on grabbing a campsite on Friday night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can set-up camp for free/cheap? Would anyone like to join in? I'll probably be leaving relatively early Saturday to drop off my Xterra for a front bumper to be built, just gotta confirm with the guy doing the work.

@Trotter @15Canyon @davis_664 @dblack or anyone else?

Reactions: Carnivore

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Some people like wal-mart. It's probably the best campground in the city. I usually try to get there 30 minutes before closing and hide inside a rack of pants until they close. It's bright with the lights and everything on, but the a/c is nice.

Yeah. My wife says I'm not helpful too.

Joseph lake is nice and close to town. Not a lot of dispersed camping close the city.

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Hahaha! How's Costco this time of year? I was hoping I could camp out in the bakery. Those fresh loaves of bread make wicked pillows.

I'll check out Joseph Lake! I'm not opposed to a standard campground, as long as it's not camping under someone's RV and swarmed by children (asking a lot... I know)

Reactions: dblack

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
If in the city itself, Rainbow Valley just off the Whitemud, a little west of 122 St. Not quite sure how to get in there exactly myself.

http://www.rainbow-valley.com/

We just got in from Elk River/Cardinal River area a couple hours ago. (Had to check out the washed out road @dblack wrote about, it's definitely not passable in anything larger than a quad lol)

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If in the city itself, Rainbow Valley just off the Whitemud, a little west of 122 St. Not quite sure how to get in there exactly myself.

http://www.rainbow-valley.com/

We just got in from Elk River/Cardinal River area a couple hours ago. (Had to check out the washed out road @dblack wrote about, it's definitely not passable in anything larger than a quad lol)
got more pictures then what dblack did?

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
got more pictures then what dblack did?
Not many really. Just before the "road block" on Cardinal River Road, we found a quad trail (and what appeared to be a makeshift horse coral) and took the truck as far in as we could. Ended up having to turn around.

20170807_132141.jpg
At the quad trailhead.

20170807_141839.jpg
A km or so before the washout, we decided to take a lunch break. Two quads rolled by just as we were finishing up.

20170807_144632.jpg
The washout. The quads that passed us while we had lunch made it across by hugging the "shoreline" on the right.

The wife took a pile more than I did. Most of them were posted on FB...

John

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
That doesn't look too bad and should be passable but for how far is the question
Drops off pretty good at the lip. I was just told a Jeep can make it but in my 3/4 ton long box, it would be sketchy as hell (especially when it's our only vehicle lol).

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

@dblack @davis_664 what end of Cardinal River Road is washed out? Just trying to do some route planning
Well. I went at it from the Cadomin side. When you cross the cardinal divide, you can drive about 5km (give or take) east before you hit the concrete dividers and ditch that's been dug into the road. After that it's another 2km east and the creek washed out the road on the bend you can see in @davis_664 photos. Riding the bank as mentioned above would work for a bike, quad or side by side. Maybe even a jeep or dedicated off road machine, but the drop off from the road to the river that I saw was about a 5' drop.

Close to the washout I could see where quads had been crossing and heading into the bush, and I'd guess it's a bypass, but it was a narrow cut in the bank with a sharp climb to get in and out of the creek bed. Again easy peasy with a quad or bike.

If a determined person took a shovel and had some time the creek drop off could be done. John was running solo. As was I and it'd be a bitch of a walk home. So we lived to explore another day.

Then I back tracked and tried to take the Pembina road (starts east of Cadomin) south to the cardinal river road. I explored a bit and took a wrong turn a few times before giving up due to time restrictions. Next time I'd take the cardinal river road in and the pembina road out. Or vice versa.

Reactions: Carnivore

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Well. I went at it from the Cadomin side. When you cross the cardinal divide, you can drive about 5km (give or take) east before you hit the concrete dividers and ditch that's been dug into the road. After that it's another 2km east and the creek washed out the road on the bend you can see in @davis_664 photos. Riding the bank as mentioned above would work for a bike, quad or side by side. Maybe even a jeep or dedicated off road machine, but the drop off from the road to the river that I saw was about a 5' drop.

Close to the washout I could see where quads had been crossing and heading into the bush, and I'd guess it's a bypass, but it was a narrow cut in the bank with a sharp climb to get in and out of the creek bed. Again easy peasy with a quad or bike.

If a determined person took a shovel and had some time the creek drop off could be done. John was running solo. As was I and it'd be a bitch of a walk home. So we lived to explore another day.

Then I back tracked and tried to take the Pembina road (starts east of Cadomin) south to the cardinal river road. I explored a bit and took a wrong turn a few times before giving up due to time restrictions. Next time I'd take the cardinal river road in and the pembina road out. Or vice versa.
I don't blame either of you guys for not venturing further while your out there solo. I'm just making my assessment based on the information that I have because of your guys' photos. So where on this map is the wash out?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ejjtZWbynKqz-DOs8CZVotJZiIc&usp=sharing

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch