Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Some of you may know that OB has a weekly echolink net. Perhaps you aren't sure how to get on Echolink or there isn't an Echolink repeater near you, don't fear...there is an app for that.
You can get the Echolink app for Android or Apple, you can also get it for your computer.

Once you have downloaded and ran the app you will have to validate your callsign with Echolink. This a probably the most difficult part, especially if you don't remember or have a log in for the FCC ULS system to download a copy of your license (for the new hams). Older hams should have a hard copy of their license already. Go here: EchoLink Validation and enter your call sign, you will be able to upload a copy of your license and submit it.
You will receive an email requesting to validate your email and then in about a few days to a week or so you should get another email with a validation code to enter on the app.

Once you successfully log in your screen should look something like this:
EL1.png

The next tab is a chat window which looks similar to the above unless you are in a QSO.
The 3rd tab looks like this:
EL2.png
You may use the ECHOLINK Test to listen to your audio and see if you need to adjust your mic gain. Locations and Node Types is used to search for nodes to connect to.

The 4th tab looks like this:
EL3.png
Except yours will likely be blank, this is your Favorites tab to make it easy to connect to nodes you use often.

To Find the *Starlink* node go to the 3rd Tab and click the magnifying glass, enter 357087 (node number).
EL4.png
Echolink net.jpg

Click the -----> button at the bottom right and you should get something like this:
Echolink net2.jpg

Click on *Starlink* and this screen will pop up:
Echolink net3.jpg

Click Connect and you are in.
Echolink net4.jpg

To talk click the transmit button and when the next screen comes up you are live:
EL9.png

The blue bar at the bottom will move with your voice, click the big mic when you are done. The Screen will go back to the previous screen.

Unfortunately at least with the Android version the PTT on a mic'd headset does not work. You still have to push transmit on the screen but can talk into the headset mic if you are using one.

To leave the node click End.
To exit the app click the triangle on the bottom left, the app with ask to confirm that you want to leave.

Hopefully this may help someone who wishes to join the net but maybe wasn't quite sure how.
Perhaps an Echolink etiquette tutorial should follow below if anyone wants to write one up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Submitted license info and received validation email. Email said I was validated to use the app but it fails to login. Guess I have to wait until next week to join the net ;)
Thanks!!!

Just opened app again and was logged in. Woot! Thanks!
Was able to check in to the net and listened for a bit before the boss called me to dinner ;) Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Thanks for the info. My problem was that I first did the windows app and found the net from the number. I expected to do the same on the cell phone app. Thanks for how to do a quick search by the name (*USA-GNG*) to find it. I added it to my favorites.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Having messed with this most of the evening i fail to understand what I am to do with this.
When the OB net is active (4:30 Fridays you time?) you can sign in and listen in and transmit to check in. Turns your phone into a net capable radio of sorts that uses the internet rather than RF to communicate. Pretty neat IMO.

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I gathered that, was hoping to hear random people on talk here. Did find the list of nodes in my area and added several to my favorites.

RiptydRick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fontana, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Lebel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6TJR
will i only be able to find this when the net is active? My iPhone interface is completely different than what is shown above.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

No the USA-GNG server is always there and I believe Will's (W8ILL) node is always connected as well.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Some of you may know that OB has a weekly echolink net. Perhaps you aren't sure how to get on Echolink or there isn't an Echolink repeater near you, don't fear...there is an app for that.
You can get the Echolink app for Android or Apple, you can also get it for your computer.

Once you have downloaded and ran the app you will have to validate your callsign with Echolink. This a probably the most difficult part, especially if you don't remember or have a log in for the FCC ULS system to download a copy of your license (for the new hams). Older hams should have a hard copy of their license already. Go here: EchoLink Validation and enter your call sign, you will be able to upload a copy of your license and submit it.
You will receive an email requesting to validate your email and then in about a few days to a week or so you should get another email with a validation code to enter on the app.

Once you successfully log in your screen should look something like this:
View attachment 92819

The next tab is a chat window which looks similar to this unless you are in a QSO.
The 3rd tab looks like this:
View attachment 92820
You may use the ECHOLINK Test to listen to your audio and see if you need to adjust your mic gain. Locations and Node Types is used to search for nodes to connect to.

The 4th tab looks like this:
View attachment 92821
Except yours will likely be blank, this is your Favorites tab to make it easy to connect to nodes you use often.

To Find the USA-GNG (Grits N Gravy) node go to the 3rd Tab and click the magnifying glass, enter gng.
View attachment 92822
View attachment 92824

Click the -----> button at the bottom right and you should get something like this:
View attachment 92825
Around Net time you will see a couple of other names listed, typically a couple of the net controllers. You may click on any of them and connect through their node. I have had trouble lately going directly into the GNG node and will "piggy back" on one of the Net controllers that are already log in. You can always log in through Will's node.

Click on someone and this screen will pop up:
View attachment 92827

Click Connect and you are in.
View attachment 92828

To talk click and transmit button and when the next screen comes up you are live:
View attachment 92831

The blue bar at the bottom will move with your voice, click the big mic when you are done. The Screen will go back to the previous screen.

Unfortunately at least with the Android version the PTT on a mic'd headset does not work. You still have to push transmit on the screen but can talk into the headset mic if you are using one.

To leave the node click End.
To exit the app click the triangle on the bottom left, the app with ask to confirm that you want to leave.

Hopefully this may help someone who wishes to join the net but maybe wasn't quite sure how.
Perhaps an Echolink etiquette tutorial should follow below if anyone wants to write one up.
just found it and added as favorite. I hope my radio will be here in the next day or 2.