Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I started out cutting up onions, peppers, etc until I actually read the ingredients in Pace Picante Sauce. This is a family favorite and easy.

• 1lbs lean steak (flank, round, sirloin)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can chili beans
  • 1 medium size jar Pace Picante (your choice mild, medium, or hot)

• Trim fat from the steak and cube to 1/4" to 1/2"
  • Sear the steak in the cook pot
  • Drain and thoroughly rinse the pinto beans (unless you want to reenact the Blazing Saddles campfire scene)
  • add tomato sauce, pinto beans, and chili beans
  • Bring to a boil
  • Turn the heat down to simmer with lid off the pot
  • Stir regularly
  • Simmer 1-4 hours depending on time and personal preference
  • Serve

Reactions: Offroadtails

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Oooh. Touched on a nerve here my friend. I enjoy a good chili as much as the next man, but I have taken to selecting (dried) ancho and pasilla chilis, splitting them open, cleaning the seeds out and very finely chopping them before grinding half. I usually go with 2 lbs of Angus ground been (personal preference) but have respect for those who cube up a nice steak like you do. I add three types of beans. Two types of onions. Obviously the green peppers as well. But I use tomatoes paste and whole peeled tomatoes - when I can chop them up against the side with a wooden spoon, I know I'm making progress...cilantro...

In a large frying pan, I brown up the meat with chopped onions, some of the ground chili peppers/powder, along with some olive oil, butter and garlic and Adobo. Everything else gets put in a stock pot and I start simmering. Once the beef and onions are good and browned, I add it all to the pot. Bring it all to a boil for a while, then down to a simmer. Like you say, the longer it simmers, the better. So good with crushed tortilla chips in it

Anyway, not so easy. So unfortunately I dont tend to make that when camping. That's for cold autumn and winter Sundays at home. That or my beef stew, which is equally involved

Reactions: Gpschef and terryg

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
No pinto beans, thank you. And I prefer to use hot italian sausage for my meat. 1/4c of raw honey is added also. along with chopped onion and green pepper, dash of cinnamon, small dash of cayenne pepper, cilantro, chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
Agreed no pinto beans. I hover between dark kidney beans, light kidney beans and black beans.
I also go back and forth between light and dark, but I have also found mixed chili beans...has both plus black beans in chili sauce. But now that I look at the can again, I'm seeing it does have pinto beans in it as well.

Reactions: Mr.bones