haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hey everyone, looking for suggestions as to where might be some good spots to look out for camping in north eastern Tennessee. I am considering purchasing some property up that way, and since my wife is going to be visiting the inlaws for nearly a month I figured now is a great time to use my free time to look at properties. To keep my expenses down since I already spent (and will keep spending more) a good amount to send my wife and 2 girls to England, I would like to keep y expenses low and have a bit of an adventure at the same time.

Hopefully looking at properties near Johnson City, Morristown, Rogersville, and anywhere up that general vicinity.

Reactions: Tina&Larry

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

West of Johnson City and south of Tusculum...Horse Creek NF Campground. Nice and secluded. We went there last month.

That looks interesting. Do you happen to recall seeing any dispersed campsites in that general area? I know there aren’t typically any around campgrounds, but perhaps you went deeper into the forest.

Tina&Larry

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Market, Jefferson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Tina
Last Name
Sutherland
Hey everyone, looking for suggestions as to where might be some good spots to look out for camping in north eastern Tennessee. I am considering purchasing some property up that way, and since my wife is going to be visiting the inlaws for nearly a month I figured now is a great time to use my free time to look at properties. To keep my expenses down since I already spent (and will keep spending more) a good amount to send my wife and 2 girls to England, I would like to keep y expenses low and have a bit of an adventure at the same time.

Hopefully looking at properties near Johnson City, Morristown, Rogersville, and anywhere up that general vicinity.
Hello, my husband and I just moved to the Morristown area. We haven’t found much luck in dispersed camping locally. However, in Southwest Virginia there are plenty of National forest sites. Mt. Rogers is our favorite.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hello, my husband and I just moved to the Morristown area. We haven’t found much luck in dispersed camping locally. However, in Southwest Virginia there are plenty of National forest sites. Mt. Rogers is our favorite.
Good to know, thanks. I have been searching some of the overlays in Gaia and really haven't noticed much of anything either.

Reactions: Tina&Larry

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If Shady Valley, Elizabethton, or Mountain City are part of your property search, you may want to consider Little Oak Campground on the eastern shore of South Holston Lake. Just know that that is one of the most conservative parts of the United States.

Reactions: haaken675 and Road

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Sounds like home!
Indeed. But there are plenty of carpetbaggers who seek lower tax bills, move to Tennessee, and immediately push to make it feel like their old home. "Why can't I get a Martini with dinner?" "Why are stores closed on Sunday?" "Why does my neighbor keep inviting me to church on Sunday?" If you move to a new state, it should be because it is already home and you never knew it.

Also, Southern hospitality often surprises outsiders. People will welcome you, and make conversation in ways that catch outsiders by surprise. They think "I'm accepted as part of this group now". But they aren't - it is likely that they will never be accepted as locals, not unless they grew up there, so while their children may go through school and become locals, their parents will always be the newcomers who recently moved in just 15 years ago.

Kingsport is more industrial, and Johnson City more academic, so both might be better fits for outsiders. Bristol is more traditional. Minor differences. These counties stand out even compared to the rest of the South. They voted to stay Union in 1860, with little desire to bleed on behalf of low country plantation owners. Sullivan County voted for Carter the first time but has otherwise stayed Republican. Carter County has not voted for a Democrat since the Civil War. In Washington County, the only time they didn't vote Republican was when Teddy Roosevelt ran as the Bull Moose candidate.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Indeed. But there are plenty of carpetbaggers who seek lower tax bills, move to Tennessee, and immediately push to make it feel like their old home. "Why can't I get a Martini with dinner?" "Why are stores closed on Sunday?" "Why does my neighbor keep inviting me to church on Sunday?" If you move to a new state, it should be because it is already home and you never knew it.

Also, Southern hospitality often surprises outsiders. People will welcome you, and make conversation in ways that catch outsiders by surprise. They think "I'm accepted as part of this group now". But they aren't - it is likely that they will never be accepted as locals, not unless they grew up there, so while their children may go through school and become locals, their parents will always be the newcomers who recently moved in just 15 years ago.

Kingsport is more industrial, and Johnson City more academic, so both might be better fits for outsiders. Bristol is more traditional. Minor differences. These counties stand out even compared to the rest of the South. They voted to stay Union in 1860, with little desire to bleed on behalf of low country plantation owners. Sullivan County voted for Carter the first time but has otherwise stayed Republican. Carter County has not voted for a Democrat since the Civil War. In Washington County, the only time they didn't vote Republican was when Teddy Roosevelt ran as the Bull Moose candidate.
Again, you're speaking my language, lol. I showed your comment to my wife who grew up in the English countryside. Her first comment was "that sounds like where i grew up". And yeah, too many people flocking to free states and then trying to ruin them...We have a saying here; "Leave your yankie ways at the border"... Too many northerners flooding into Florida and then trying to bring new york with them. Not a fan. I grew up in a more rural part of Florida and now live around the Tampa area simply because of work. The area is only getting more blue thanks to the transplants.

We are looking at properties over 10 acres as a hunting camp, place to build a cabin, and if we love the land enough build that into our permanent home. The smaller areas the better, and the more remote the better. I already have a few friends that have homes in Johnson City and they love the area. I'm looking no further west then Knoxville, and trying for as north as possible for some more elevation if I can.

Team4M

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martell
Member #

I know you said North/East but... I just passed through Tennessee and spend two days in the Cherokee national forest around Tellico Plains. Although I didn't care for that city, the drive northeast towards Knoxville took me through some really pretty country that bordered the Cherokee National Forest. The Tellico river and Citico Creek areas offered some great dispersed camping and the fishing was excellent if that matter to you. The Tellico Reservoir had some beautiful property around it and I was intrigued to go back. I too live in Tampa and echo your frustrations. We're likely to move to NC in the next year or so as well. Good luck!

Reactions: MiamiC70

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
The C
I know you said North/East but... I just passed through Tennessee and spend two days in the Cherokee national forest around Tellico Plains. Although I didn't care for that city, the drive northeast towards Knoxville took me through some really pretty country that bordered the Cherokee National Forest. The Tellico river and Citico Creek areas offered some great dispersed camping and the fishing was excellent if that matter to you. The Tellico Reservoir had some beautiful property around it and I was intrigued to go back. I too live in Tampa and echo your frustrations. We're likely to move to NC in the next year or so as well. Good luck!
The Cherokee National forest is a really pretty area. We did a little of that when we did the western portion of the Georgia Traverse. Definitely liked the area.

Reactions: Tundracamper

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
So it looks like we are looking at a number of properties in Robbins, Jamestown, and Oneida. Not exactly very eastern at this point, since my dad has now partially coopted my tripand offered to take a friend to Knoxville i don't think I can see these properties and still make it to Johnson City/Mountain city on this particular trip...

There is the Big South Fork RIver and Recreation area, but none of that looks like dispersed camping is available, and all the campsites look like reservation only and pretty meh at that.....The daniel boone national forest isn't that far.....Anyone have good suggestions for in the forest?