Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
I'm planning a 1-2 week trip trip for late June / early July. It will be family oriented, with kids ages 4-8. Three options on the table include Montana, Central Utah, & Eastern Sierra. We've traveled through each of these locations in the past few years, and would like to hit some spots that haven't been before. Of the three I'm leaning towards Eastern Sierras, to avoid the heat and potential monsoons in Utah, mosquitos in Montana, eliminating a couple days of transit time maximize exploring time (I'm from Sacramento area), and to enjoy cali camping before getting smoked out and camp fire restrictions.

Rough itineraries include:
Eastern sierras: White mountains / bristle cone monument, coyote flats, laurel lake, owens valley hot springs, mono craters, bodie, mt patterson, east fork carsen hot springs, blue lakes area / deer valley 4x4 trail. This trip will likely have some segments removed as all of it would be a lot to cover in 2 weeks.

A couple other family rigs may join for all or parts of the trip. Each rig is a family of 4 with kids in same age range. Will refine plan include exploring multiple attractions along the way (hot springs, mines, rock climbing, hikes, etc).

Reason for posting here is to gauge interest of others who might want to join us. Not looking to start an overland expo caravan, but would like to meet others who share an interest in exploring, and outdoor recreation.

A few pics from recent trips to stoke interest.7EF5E21D-6B17-44B2-91D0-4564A3E9A068.jpgIMG_9640.jpeg821800EF-3A24-404F-8AD5-F114BB60CA19.jpg

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Tough age group, 4-8.... coming from Sacto I'd hit old Genoa, South of Reno. Camp at Bighorn campground, the Walker River runs through it. Next I'd head over to Berlin-Ichhtyosaour State park, dino's and ghost town, campgrounds. Nearby is Grantsville ghost town and if you go there you can go over Grantsville Pass and return to Berlin via Union Pass. South of Grantsville is Golden Spring and Golden Summit. Further East is Peavine Campground near Round Mountain. The drive to the end of the road is beautiful.

If you stay at altitude (6000') it will be cooler than the valley floors.

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
Tough age group, 4-8.... coming from Sacto I'd hit old Genoa, South of Reno. Camp at Bighorn campground, the Walker River runs through it. Next I'd head over to Berlin-Ichhtyosaour State park, dino's and ghost town, campgrounds. Nearby is Grantsville ghost town and if you go there you can go over Grantsville Pass and return to Berlin via Union Pass. South of Grantsville is Golden Spring and Golden Summit. Further East is Peavine Campground near Round Mountain. The drive to the end of the road is beautiful.

If you stay at altitude (6000') it will be cooler than the valley floors.
That's further east than we were looking to go on this trip, but adding it to future trip. I've been around the Shoshone mountains before, but didn't go here. Thanks for pointing out.

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
I’ve really wanted to explore that part of the Sierra too! My family may already have a conflicting trip but I’ll check this out and follow.

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Check out Brown Meadow in the Southern Sierras...no running water, but pit toilets and not many people...I believe it in the South part of the Sequoias

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I'm planning a 1-2 week trip trip for late June / early July. It will be family oriented, with kids ages 4-8. Three options on the table include Montana, Central Utah, & Eastern Sierra. We've traveled through each of these locations in the past few years, and would like to hit some spots that haven't been before. Of the three I'm leaning towards Eastern Sierras, to avoid the heat and potential monsoons in Utah, mosquitos in Montana, eliminating a couple days of transit time maximize exploring time (I'm from Sacramento area), and to enjoy cali camping before getting smoked out and camp fire restrictions.

Rough itineraries include:
Eastern sierras: White mountains / bristle cone monument, coyote flats, laurel lake, owens valley hot springs, mono craters, bodie, mt patterson, east fork carsen hot springs, blue lakes area / deer valley 4x4 trail. This trip will likely have some segments removed as all of it would be a lot to cover in 2 weeks.

A couple other family rigs may join for all or parts of the trip. Each rig is a family of 4 with kids in same age range. Will refine plan include exploring multiple attractions along the way (hot springs, mines, rock climbing, hikes, etc).

Reason for posting here is to gauge interest of others who might want to join us. Not looking to start an overland expo caravan, but would like to meet others who share an interest in exploring, and outdoor recreation.

A few pics from recent trips to stoke interest.View attachment 222652View attachment 222653View attachment 222654

Check with the FS regarding laurel lake. A good portion of the road was washed out and it is unclear if it has been repaired.

Reactions: Norcalocal

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Leavitt Lake is beautiful, Buckeye Hot Springs is really cool, pun intended

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Just to add, the kids might get a kick out of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest in the White Mtns. Especially if you teach them ahead of time. I don't know when it opens due to snow. I forget the name, there is a mine you can drive in, in the Owens Valley.