Rank III

Enthusiast I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Waterhouse
Member #

My wife and I are planning a trip from SC to CO/UT, leaving 3rd week of August. Plan is to pick up the TAT eastern side of TN. Not sure if we will follow the entire way. Looking for dispersed camping suggestions…any other couples heading that way would be cool?

PS my apologies for posting twice, not sure how that happened…new to posting, probably hit send twice

Attachments

Reactions: grubworm

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

State forests are gonna be your best option for some dispersed camping. Best thing to do is figure out how much driving you plan to do a particular date, and then see what's around you in a certain milage. That's what I've done when making similar treks at least.

Good luck out in the San Juans this year. The snow from last season seems to be hanging around longer than usual.

Bill W

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Waterhouse
Member #

Thank you very much, sound advise.

Yes sir, you’re not kidding…been reading the trail reports out there, still buried in areas.

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Indeed, and from what a friend of mine has been telling me everyone will likely all be there around the same time so may be fairly crowded and wetter/muddier than usual.

Wanted to go back out this year but cancelled, so will try again next year and pray for earlier snowfall. Fun part is, you can always just to Utah and add New Mexico. Lots of nice stuff if you dont mind the heat.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Hey, Bill!

We actually pushed our big trip out from CO to Canada until mid-August because of snow reports and the like. Our first stop in the Flat Tops just north of Glenwood Springs JUST opened up so far as I can tell. Problem is...while it may be wonderful the first two nights in CO, it's going to be really hot across the low areas in WY. I think we'll manage with the route I've planned out.

One thing I'll warn you about through TN and the like is to pay close attention to the temps and the real feel. When we went out to CO last July we camped the first night in TN and it was awful. Especially with both the dogs in the RTT. I had a cordless 10" fan on the cross bar and all the windows open and it was just bearable. I canceled our HipCamp site in Arkansas for the second night and grabbed a hotel as it was a real feel of 110. That's just miserable for two-leggers, and potentially harmful/fatal for Crazy McBitey, and Sir Spins-a-lot.

We want to tackle the TAT at some point. But that's a tough call on when to leave; particularly with potentially insane weather out west! Re: camping, though...we absolutely love using HipCamp as an option. It can be an easy button approach, particularly when hauling a trailer and we can't get much ground truth/area knowledge. Sometimes it helps to know you have a suitable spot waiting for you instead of stressing out and not being able to find one where/when you need one.

Love to your far prettier half, and give the big guy a belly rub!