Enthusiast II

Bradford, Ontario
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brouwer
Member #

Hello All,

Rookie overlander Pete from Ontario here. It looks like the stars have aligned and I was able to get approximately 3 weeks off in August. I am trying to plan an eastern Canada overland trip and definitely would love to hit up Cape Breton and Newfoundland.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to get a few short weekend trips to Halifax and Charlottetown during weekend leave from Gagetown but it left me wanting to check out a lot more of the east coast. My plan is to set off from Onterible and make my way east, exploring as much of the hidden gems as possible.

I've searched the forums and looked through previous trips but wondering if anyone would have some input on great spots to check out or places to stay. Id love to be on dirt road as much as possible.

Thank you in advance,

Pete
"dirt every day!"

Hosemonkey143

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bradford, Ontario
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brouwer
Member #

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Ha ha ha same here 043! I’m out in June, at IPSC since last year phiso and othe med stuff, then civilian life from there.
Hope to see you out and about!
PS: don’t sell yourself short no such thing as “just”, res or reg, we all bleed the same bro. Don’t let anyone tell you any different

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

If you’re in Gagetown, then you are already in the best Overland playground the east Coast has to offer. NB has amazing networks of dirt roads and scenery like you wouldn’t believe. Check out NBexpeditions.com

Reactions: Hosemonkey143

JoshT4R

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Goose Bay (Labrador), NL
Member #

I’m from Newfoundland (Currently living in Labrador), lots of great trails on the west coast around Deer Lake and Corner Brook area, also be sure to hit up my home town of Rocky Harbour. Beautiful area for some camping.

Thanks - Josh

Virgil

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Last time I was in Gagetown you could still wheel and camp in the training area for free. Next time your there talk to range control.
You still can but the trails are no longer what they used to be. They are all full of super size gravel and I mean brick size rocks, massive “speed bumps” every 20m or so to “prevent erosion” or some nonesense. It’s not fun like it used to be

PROJECTaroid

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

I live on the west coast of NL. I usually only stick to the logging roads in my area, but there are some nice places to explore. You can also see a lot of great places by sticking to the pavement. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Hosemonkey143

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bradford, Ontario
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brouwer
Member #

I’m from Newfoundland (Currently living in Labrador), lots of great trails on the west coast around Deer Lake and Corner Brook area, also be sure to hit up my home town of Rocky Harbour. Beautiful area for some camping.

Thanks - Josh
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the information, I'm starting to compose a list of spots to check out. Is the T'Railway Jeep friendly? Everything i research mentions ATV/Adventure Bike specific.

Thanks,

Pete

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Newfoundland Here too! iyellattraffic, is that your pat with the RTT?

FYI, I have backcountry routes to get from burgeo to Twillingate. I am sure there are more going east. But these I am familiar with.

Patriot overlander here as well btw!

PROJECTaroid

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

Newfoundland Here too! iyellattraffic, is that your pat with the RTT?

FYI, I have backcountry routes to get from burgeo to Twillingate. I am sure there are more going east. But these I am familiar with.

Patriot overlander here as well btw!
Yeah, my profile pic is of my Patriot and RTT. Cool that you have a route from Burgeo to Twillingate. I've been trying to keep track of nice overland camp locations and routes here on the west coast.