Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
What part are you thinking? That's a pretty broad swath of Virginia. I live pretty much right in the junction.

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

What part are you thinking? That's a pretty broad swath of Virginia. I live pretty much right in the junction.
I plan on running Big Levels here soon and camping out. Then running both parts of Shoe Creek the next day and heading home. Was also talking with a guy on FB today who wants to run Flagpole Knob and whatever else is around there.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I plan on running Big Levels here soon and camping out. Then running both parts of Shoe Creek the next day and heading home. Was also talking with a guy on FB today who wants to run Flagpole Knob and whatever else is around there.

I could be in up for that! I'm not familiar with those trails though, I'd imagine they are pretty stock friendly? Were you thinking dispersed camping or is there a campground in that area?

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I love that you guys are planning something. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Reactions: TerryD

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

I though shoe creek was closed?
to my knowledge as of last november, a middle section of shoe creek is closed. The owner of the land put up 2 gates blocking access to his property.. but maybe the whole thing is closed now? I'm not sure.... I coulda sworn it wasn't, but maybe I'm wrong.

I could be in up for that! I'm not familiar with those trails though, I'd imagine they are pretty stock friendly? Were you thinking dispersed camping or is there a campground in that area?
Flapole Knob is probably more stock friendly. Not too many rough patches. Both are decent trails for stock 4x4. Both Flagpole and Big Levels have camping spots on the trails.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

to my knowledge as of last november, a middle section of shoe creek is closed. The owner of the land put up 2 gates blocking access to his property.. but maybe the whole thing is closed now? I'm not sure.... I coulda sworn it wasn't, but maybe I'm wrong.

Flapole Knob is probably more stock friendly. Not too many rough patches. Both are decent trails for stock 4x4. Both Flagpole and Big Levels have camping spots on the trails.
Those two gates are probably what I heard about.

Isn't there something on Bald Knob?

I am heading to Potts Mountain in a few weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

Those two gates are probably what I heard about.

Isn't there something on Bald Knob?

I am heading to Potts Mountain in a few weeks

Not sure... never been over there. I'm sure there is somewhere though.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

I have that file that I purchased from them. Unfortunately there is a lot, I mean a lot, of blacktop running. However, it is about as good as overlanding gets for the central Appalachians. There are a couple of nice remote camping spots in PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, TN etc, but not really any overlanding travel/camping experiences. It is ironic, that if one wants to get off the grid here in the central eastern seaboard, that Cape Lookout National Seashore is about the only place for remote solitude overland camping. There is, a lot of 4-wheeling to be had in the national and state forests, but that is not just the same as long distance-off-the-grid-overlanding.
You haven't looked hard enough..there's a bunch of hidden gems in the Midwest..wv is tricky because of landowners but they do have a lot of public lands like Blackwater falls and cannan loop!

I've got some routes on my website and more I haven't shared yet.. Www.midwestoverlandtraining.com

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Butt Hurt

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Not sure... never been over there. I'm sure there is somewhere though.
Thinking I was reading something about Bald Mountain somewhere but I could be mixing up Virginia's Bald Mountain with something in the Rockies

Here is the map that I laid out using some of Mountain State over lands Maps along with information I got from friends of mine I have not done this trip yet so I don't know how accurate the map is but if any of you guys that live in the areas I have this thing laid out could check it out that would be sweet

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1qFRCLE8rblQyMq4nbvWYYwFzxdc&usp=sharing

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Which direction are you running that track? You are literally circling my house. I'd be up for about everything in the Bath/Alleghany/ Craig/ Botetourt county except Potts Jeep Trail, as a driver at least. There are several roads there I've been on a bunch and some I've been wanting to check out.

I don't remember where we talked about that before, maybe this thread, but when are you planning on being in this area?

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

If I ever get to run that route the plan is to start up by Douglas West Virginia and run down to Potts Mountain.

But we will not be running that route on the trip we are taking in three weeks. We are going straight to Potts mountain and then headed back up to the Charleston area

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

We will be stopping at the organ cave in West Virginia and then we will travel to Potts Mountain from Potts Mountain we have no designated route but we will be heading back to Charleston West Virginia trying to hit some two-track wherever possible

Reactions: Butt Hurt

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
@yabbaz Was just looking at the map and the area we've been talking about could easily cover most of the state as a meeting spot. It's about 2hr from Winchester, Norfolk, and Roanoke. It still kind of leaves Southwest Va out in the cold though but there aren't many people down that way.

Or we could do something like three meet ups, NOVA, RVA, and Roanoke areas, as just meetings/ meals and work on a statewide trip in the future.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Wanderer351

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

@yabbaz Was just looking at the map and the area we've been talking about could easily cover most of the state as a meeting spot. It's about 2hr from Winchester, Norfolk, and Roanoke. It still kind of leaves Southwest Va out in the cold though but there aren't many people down that way.

Or we could do something like three meet ups, NOVA, RVA, and Roanoke areas, as just meetings/ meals and work on a statewide trip in the future.

Thoughts?
Myself and @Chris Jones are working on the VA meetups right now. Id love to do one near Richmond or in GWNF in stuarts draft area.... bout 1.5 hours from me and 3 hours for the beach people. little closer for yall western folk. We may split it up into two separate meetups though east/west. Easier that way as most people wont wanna drive 3 hours just to meetup for an hour or two. But I think as far as doing a VA trip, I think our locations are pretty spot on. I think run Big levels and a few others local, camp for the night on big levels, then drive to flagpole and run flagpole with everyone, then either leave or camp and go home in the AM. would be a nice leisurely pace to not rush everyone and get to hang out for a while.

Reactions: SorrTrek and TerryD

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Yeah, what @yabbaz said. The monthly meetups are way in the air but we are trying to pull them down. As for this trip, please let me know if I can help in any way. I want to support your efforts here and help you guys make it a success.

yabbaz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Richmond, VA
Member #

a formal route is coming once i get some time. I wanna make one and share it and get everyones feedback on it. I promise it will be a decent route! I'm new to this whole thing, but I'll figure it out sooner or later lol