East Coast Meet & Greet

• HTML tutorial

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Yep.

We are leaving ohio wed April 19th. Making a stop at organ Cave in wv, and then ending the day at the pines. Thursday morning well hit the trail bright and early. Never been there, not entirely sure how long it will take us, or if we'll run in both directions yet so we have Thurs and Friday set aside for it, with a plan b for Friday if we only need Thursday. Goal is to be in Charleston wv Friday night for a differant trail sat morning.

Group will consist of.my bronco ii on 35s (its decently built) a basically stock 2000ish 4runner on mud tires with the fancy yota traction control, a samurai on 30s, with lockers (or his 4 runner which is also locked but on 32s) and possibly a Mitsubishi Montero in 33s but open difs, we all have winches.

I'm a tad worried about the Montero but we have no issue running winches, rock stacking, or what ever it takes for him if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Well give me a shout, I doubt the K5 will be going but I might run out to camp and meet you. That's only about 20min from the house. The C&M had station in New Castle had a surprising variety of craft beer if you're into that.

Are you trailering or driving?

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

We will be driving down. Part of the adventure is putting 800 miles on our rusty beat up high mileage vehicles.

I'm sure the guys would be interested in some local brew.

If you have any insider info on Potts I could use it. It seems info is hard to come by. I know where we are going and have watched some videos, that's about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

sailor96

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfax VA
Member #

If anyone is interested I have 3 .gxp files that run from Morgantown WV to about Wytheville VA, if memory serves me correctly.
im me email addy and I'll forward on.
Heads up, they're about 2 years old, but a good place to start.

Reactions: Grant H

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

If anyone is interested I have 3 .gxp files that run from Morgantown WV to about Wytheville VA, if memory serves me correctly.
im me email addy and I'll forward on.
Heads up, they're about 2 years old, but a good place to start.
I'm assuming these are fire roads and other trails?

hopdup

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Aliquippa
Member #

I would be willing to meet & greet in the GWNF. Pending my work schedule. Been wanting to make it out there for a few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm assuming these are fire roads and other trails?
I have that file that I purchased from them. Unfortunately there is a lot, I mean a lot, of blacktop running. However, it is about as good as overlanding gets for the central Appalachians. There are a couple of nice remote camping spots in PA, WV, VA, NC, SC, TN etc, but not really any overlanding travel/camping experiences. It is ironic, that if one wants to get off the grid here in the central eastern seaboard, that Cape Lookout National Seashore is about the only place for remote solitude overland camping. There is, a lot of 4-wheeling to be had in the national and state forests, but that is not just the same as long distance-off-the-grid-overlanding.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That's too true Moak, but we could still manage a couple days of at least hitting one dirt road and getting to see some beautiful scenery. I don't have the time or money right now to do a lot so I've been doing day trips around my area checking out what there is to offer. I've found some really neat roads and places and have begun weaving them into a track from around New Castle, Va North. I'm as far as Staunton right now, but need to check out some of the northerly tracks as I've never been in that area before.

I like just riding around, pavement or dirt either one. I'm still free while I'm out there!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
How about Hungry Mother State Park in Marion VA. Lots of mountains, camping, cabins and RV sites.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I think you and I talked about this before, but I used to go there as a kid with my parents and my wife and I spent our first anniversary there. It's been several years since I've gotten off the interstate in Marion though. I think last time was to get some Carharts from the Army/Navy store downtown.