Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
How does everyone feel about a meet and greet? It seems most people are in the VA area so how about a meet and greet in the Tysons Corner area?

sailor96

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfax VA
Member #

Hey guys- I'm in Fairfax, so anywhere in the area is good- Any day of the week after work

Last edited:

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I'm in NE DC, depends on the date and I could be in. Have to balance work and family, so though to get away sometimes.

I have a red 4Runner with a snorkel and "drinklowbrau.com" in gold on the sides. Plus lot of breweries stickers in the window.

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Im out of VA Beach but NoVA is easy enough to go to. Saturdays are best so people can drive Friday and leave Sunday.

Reactions: Bananacooler

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I might be down! Im about two hours north of nyc.. But depending on the days and how it fits in between my vacations this year.. I could be a candidate.
The same applies for me as well but I'm in NE Pa.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
So, did this happen? Tysons Corner? Is there a camp there? I don't think so. Yikes.. Sorry, I cannot bring myself to driving into cities, (I did that for a living for 25 years) let alone NYC, Phil, Balto or DC. A meet and greet out in the GWNF would be a lot more likely for, I would think, everyone.

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

Well, lets all meet in the wilderness somewhere! I would love to hit the mountains, off the beaten path to do some real camping. Not at some numbered camp site that is paved and with hookups. Can anyone give me some suggestions for areas and some wilderness that I can legally camp at? I really want to hit these areas this spring. I'm open to driving 6 to 8 hours to get there too.

sailor96

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfax VA
Member #

Well, lets all meet in the wilderness somewhere! I would love to hit the mountains, off the beaten path to do some real camping. Not at some numbered camp site that is paved and with hookups. Can anyone give me some suggestions for areas and some wilderness that I can legally camp at? I really want to hit these areas this spring. I'm open to driving 6 to 8 hours to get there too.

sailor96

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfax VA
Member #

Plenty of places in GW Nat Forest- Flagpole Knob west of Harrisonburg past Rawley Springs- There are no campgrounds on this trail just look for a fire ring or make your own- legal in GW Nat Forest. You can camp at Flagpole- but the wind runs a constant 20mph or so- but a great view
Also the fire roads are good for camping and are everywhere.
Peters Mill Run is a decent short trail- camp anywhere along trail- look for the fire rings- can be crowded on weekends- I like this time year or better when snowing.
You'll need a pass to use the trails from the local ranger station- some stores carry them-
I get a yearly pass- $35 I think.

Also check out Mountain State Overland- they some decent routes for download- $15 per- I've done Morgantown to Frost (Wytheville)- about 400 miles- need a week- I break it up in legs

Hope this helps

Sailor96

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Sure, what did you have in mind?
Anything at this point. Even if it's grabbing lunch somewhere. Would be good to make some connections and see what people are interested in for upcoming season. I know it would be good to find a partner so I don't have to do solo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

aghadjip

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton NC
Member #

Given enough notice i would be game. there are a few OB members near me, im sure we can meet somewhere "local" Maybe a meet and greet camping trip? that way if its a bit of a drive, at least folks can stay overnight

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Given enough notice i would be game. there are a few OB members near me, im sure we can meet somewhere "local" Maybe a meet and greet camping trip? that way if its a bit of a drive, at least folks can stay overnight
Camping is doable when it warms up a bit. Could hit up a offroad park in PA too. Otherwise grabbing lunch or dinner would allow for a meeting sooner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: hopdup