Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Just had leftovers for lunch. This simple recipe. Brown Ground Beef in DO, add egg noodles, a can of mixed veggies & cream of mushroom soup. Ive been making this in a DO for 40 years.

Reactions: M Rose

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Hello fellow Oregonian. I love cooking on and in cast iron. Lots of great simple recipes out there. Lodge actually has a couple pretty inexpensive cook books for dutch ovens. Also keep an eye out at Goodwill, I have found a few old cookbooks for campfire cooking there. IMO the key to dutch oven cooking is curing your new cast iron. I initially put mine in a nice big campfire and burn out all the impurities and then wire brush, wipe down with cooking oil and put on my BBQ at medium heat. I repeat the BBQ step a couple times.

Good luck and enjoy. Where abouts in Oregon are you?

Reactions: 64Trvlr and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello fellow Oregonian. I love cooking on and in cast iron. Lots of great simple recipes out there. Lodge actually has a couple pretty inexpensive cook books for dutch ovens. Also keep an eye out at Goodwill, I have found a few old cookbooks for campfire cooking there. IMO the key to dutch oven cooking is curing your new cast iron. I initially put mine in a nice big campfire and burn out all the impurities and then wire brush, wipe down with cooking oil and put on my BBQ at medium heat. I repeat the BBQ step a couple times.

Good luck and enjoy. Where abouts in Oregon are you?
I’m in La Grande, unless I’m out and about explorin. The past two years I have been dedicating trail runs along the southern border of the Eagle Caps. This year (2020) we plan on heading west and exploring the Coast, and possibly Central Oregon.
those are some great tips on DOs. I am very familiar with cast iron, and my newly acquired DO is actually my 4th cast iron cooking utensil. I have a gas oven, and I have found that by removing the heat shield I can get direct flame onto my piece of cast. I preheat my cast to about 200 degrees and wipe the whole thing down inside and out with virgin olive oil. Then place the cast back into the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I let it cool, then wipe down with lard on the inside and rebake. I do this until I get the color I’m looking for. Then I cook bacon or other fatty meat on the gas range top. I use the drained fat to then further season the cast iron to perfection.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Cook some cornbread in it. The cornbread actually seasons it pretty good. Biscuits also work.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I’m in La Grande, unless I’m out and about explorin. The past two years I have been dedicating trail runs along the southern border of the Eagle Caps. This year (2020) we plan on heading west and exploring the Coast, and possibly Central Oregon.
those are some great tips on DOs. I am very familiar with cast iron, and my newly acquired DO is actually my 4th cast iron cooking utensil. I have a gas oven, and I have found that by removing the heat shield I can get direct flame onto my piece of cast. I preheat my cast to about 200 degrees and wipe the whole thing down inside and out with virgin olive oil. Then place the cast back into the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I let it cool, then wipe down with lard on the inside and rebake. I do this until I get the color I’m looking for. Then I cook bacon or other fatty meat on the gas range top. I use the drained fat to then further season the cast iron to perfection.
Sounds like a great way to season it. Holler if you get this way.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Cook some cornbread in it. The cornbread actually seasons it pretty good. Biscuits also work.
I love beer biscuits in the Dutch. I usually make skillet biscuits, but was one of the reasons to get my DO.

im also going to try my chilli and stews in the Dutch Oven, and my wife makes a killer Crockpot Lasagna that we are going to try and adapt to the Dutch oven.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sounds like a great way to season it. Holler if you get this way.
I haven’t been that way in years, used to compete against you guys in Track when I was in high school. I think we are going through your area (or close to it) this summer on some of our adventures if everything goes as planned. are you going to the 2rivers 4th of July thing?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There is a cookbook by the National Museum of the Forest Service History called Camp Cooking 100 years It covers 1905 -2005 and has a bunch of DO recipes I look forward to trying. I linked to the book on Amazon, it is not very expensive.
I bought the digital edition