spfd jason

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
As we continue our Death Valley planning, I'm trying to figure out what our fuel consumption will be. The truck 6.6 Duramax has a 35 gal capacity and unloaded gets around 18mpg highway. Towing our work cargo trailer (3000lbs) around town is about 12-14mpg. With a rack on top of the canopy and loaded for six days, I'm planning on 10mpg.

Does this seem reasonable? Are any of the popular routes more than 250 miles? We have a typical 5 gal. diesel can from the hardware store. Should we bring it along? Thanks.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
When we went to DV, we passed through Baker coming from Mohave. We filled up with diesel there thinking that even at the high prices it would be cheaper than buying fuel in DV. We were wrong, diesel was .30 a gallon cheaper at Furnace Creek than in Baker. Who would of thought?

Reactions: Road

spfd jason

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rice
When we went to DV, we passed through Baker coming from Mohave. We filled up with diesel there thinking that even at the high prices it would be cheaper than buying fuel in DV. We were wrong, diesel was .30 a gallon cheaper at Furnace Creek than in Baker. Who would of thought?
What rig do you drive and what are your numbers? Thanks.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a 6.6 Duramax too, though in an extended body van, towing an expedition style trailer with a GVW of 3500.

I would definitely take the 5gal and even get another if you have room to stow it. Then fill them when you get there and keep 'em full when rolling through DV, rotate the fuel into your tank and refill the jerrys whenever you pass a place, even if not close to empty.

May seem like overkill and there may be enough spots to fuel up without having extra storage, though I can tell you from experience in the desert that you never know what might happen, especially if gone more than a week. From letting it idle a lot more than usual for any number of reasons, to getting stuck, to running it more just for heat if something happens, to losing fuel for whatever reason, etc. And, you may be able to help another diesel guy out if they're having problems.

Always better to have it then not.

I typically get 20-21 mpg with my van at highway speeds if not loaded heavy. That drops to anywhere from 14-17 towing the trailer depending on terrain and how loaded both van and trailer are, and lower if back country, aired down, and up and down a lot at lower speeds.

qman_3271-900.jpeg

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
There is diesel in the park at Panamint Springs, though check park postings in case it's down. There is diesel in Trona, Lone Pine, Panamint Springs, Beatty and Stovepipe Wells. That should get you into the park and out onto daily excursions with 35 gallons internal and a Duramax. I have a couple friends that run Ford 6.7's and have done trips to DV. Zero issues. Wish I had their range.

Last edited:
Reactions: spfd jason