Dual Battery Setups

• HTML tutorial

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I was wondering if most people patch together a dual battery system or if they go with some sort of a kit. After looking into it I think this might be the foundation of my electrical build out and I want to go about it in a smart way and don't know where to start.

So who has them? How you do it? Would you do it again? Would you have done anything differently?

Trey5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Dakota
Member #

I don’t have it but i am looking to piece one together to save money. I am trying to decide where to place the house battery in my 15 Tacoma. There isn’t much room under the hood.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have been beating around the idea of adding a second battery using a mechanical Battery Disconnect Solenoid such as the one below. A Continuous Solenoid is cheap and will cutoff the "house" battery from the starting battery when the ignition is off and then connect the batteries again when the ignition is stared and the alternator can charge both again. They are cheap and easy to wire....but it's finding a safe location for a second battery (probably SLE Deep Cycle) in my Jeep engine bay or somewhere else.

Trey5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Dakota
Member #

I have been beating around the idea of adding a second battery using a mechanical Battery Disconnect Solenoid such as the one below. A Continuous Solenoid is cheap and will cutoff the "house" battery from the starting battery when the ignition is off and then connect the batteries again when the ignition is stared and the alternator can charge both again. They are cheap and easy to wire....but it's finding a safe location for a second battery (probably SLE Deep Cycle) in my Jeep engine bay or somewhere else.

This is exactly what i was looking at. The guys over at Tacoma world have a good diagram for how to wire it up.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

87FoRunner

Rank 0

Traveler I

What is your budget? I’ll be installing a Rugged Ridge dual battery tray with stock Interstate batteries and a Freightliner isolator (100A continuous duty for $16).

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
What is your budget? I’ll be installing a Rugged Ridge dual battery tray with stock Interstate batteries and a Freightliner isolator (100A continuous duty for $16).
My budget is cheap. I am comfortable with wiring, and already have an SLE Deep Cycle I'll use from my Trailer.

ArmyofMike OB#7890

87FoRunner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Check out the Rugged Ridge tray. I purchased mine at Jeepin Beach Jam for $80. After that, check with your local Freightliner dealer for an isolator or BEP marine for a switch. Cheapest and easiest way of doing it. You can get heavy gauge wires from a welding supply store or tractors supply.

X Ranger

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pascagoula, Mississippi
Member #

I’ve got a JKU and I have a Genesis Dual Battery set up. I know they are developing one for Toyota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've got the Genis set up in my Jeep. I wont say installation was a snap, but I got it done. Shane is the contact person and will talk you thought it he also has a step by step video which I streamed to my Ipad and used. If you are considering this kit I would tell you about some limitations that you need to be aware of before you jump.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

If you want something a bit more automatic and intelligent, check out something like Traxide's SC80 or USI-160. I have an SC-80 setup (bought a kit for my Land Rover), but you can use the parts for any vehicle.

http://www.traxide.com.au/isolators/sc80---90-amps-standard.html

The NEW SC80 offers many advantages not found with other brands of isolators, but the single largest advantage to having an SC80 in a dual battery set up, is the speed with which used battery capacity is replaced.

Because of the way the SC80 operates, by keeping all batteries connected after the ignition is turned off, and sharing 12v accessories power requirements over both the auxiliary battery and the cranking battery, if you use the same amount of battery capacity that ordinary dual battery system uses, which only use a single auxiliary battery, the batteries in an SC80 up set will only be discharged to half the depth you would have to discharge a battery in a single auxiliary battery type setup, as used in ordinary dual battery systems ( including DC to DC type Dual Battery Systems ).

SC80 SHARED Mode Cut-In ( Turn ON ) at 13.2v, Cut-Out ( Turn OFF ) at 12.0v.

By Cutting Out at 12.0v, the cranking battery is still left with 50% of it's capacity, which is more than enough to start the most stubborn motor on the coldest morning and as the SC80 is used in countries all over the world, including many up in the Arctic Circle, this unique operation has been well and truly proven as being reliable in all types of situations.

NOTE, the CCA rating of a battery is maitained in a battery until it is discharged below 40%, at 0C. So the SC80 will always leave your Cranking Battery in a safe state of charge.