Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

I'm looking at a dual battery setup from Off Grid 4x4 and they recommend the Full Throttle Group 35 or "any other high quality group 35 AGM battery". I had to buy a new battery from Advance Auto a few weeks ago since mine died and wanted to see if anyone knew if I could use just another one of those? I believe it's a Die Hard with the gel inside?...I will confirm, but if I can just buy an additiona battery and not 2 more new batteries, that'd be ideal.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
It looks like that kit uses a Blue Sea ML-ACR to handle the battery connection. It is not a proprietary unit.

If the battery you bought is an AGM, I would not hesitate to purchase another to round out your dual battery setup.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It looks like that kit uses a Blue Sea ML-ACR to handle the battery connection. It is not a proprietary unit.

If the battery you bought is an AGM, I would not hesitate to purchase another to round out your dual battery setup.
Concur.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I've seen two identical batteries on a shelf have 9 months difference in born on dates. Check to see if your existing battery still has its sticker and then see what's on the shelf. I bought two AGM's about 8 months apart, the second to make a dual battery setup. The system is four years old now with zero issues.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I'm looking at a dual battery setup from Off Grid 4x4 and they recommend the Full Throttle Group 35 or "any other high quality group 35 AGM battery". I had to buy a new battery from Advance Auto a few weeks ago since mine died and wanted to see if anyone knew if I could use just another one of those? I believe it's a Die Hard with the gel inside?...I will confirm, but if I can just buy an additiona battery and not 2 more new batteries, that'd be ideal.
This looks like a great kit, I actually went with Painless Performance Dual Battery Kits, upgraded my Alternator on both the Jeep and Ram. I use to run two Yellow Tops on my Jeep, but I had some issues and I recently replaced them with sears group 34 AGMs on the Jeep, for the Ram my Painless Performance Kit is sitting in a box waiting to be installed. My primary starter is also a 990CCA Die Hard AGM, and I plan on using the same - mounted in the truck bed. Now I do have on my short list to add to both rigs - the Redarc 25A DC charger.

Reactions: REDARC_Ryan

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Yeah I can do a lot of things myself, but wiring has been a little 'eh' for me. I'd rather have a kit that's essentially plug and play.

In other news, I catch fire! More at 11...
Same here, now I will say that my dual battery setup on the Jeep, and soon to be installed on the Ram are just 1/2 of my power options. For the Jeep I'm running the Bestek Inverter in the center counsel, but I also have a Jackery 1000, 2 100W Saga Solar Panels, and for a back up a Yahima SC2300i. I actually feel cheated with Jackery's new E1500 and E2000 being released just two months after I picked up the E1000. For ER I also carry a Type S Lithium Jump Starter. Keep us posted on the add-on, and post some pics please.

Reactions: Brock Samson