Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Budapest, Hungary
First Name
Ferenc
Last Name
Elekes
Member #

We’re starting the Pan American in April this year starting in Canada.
We’ve done several big trips before using a Toyota Land Cruiser (Prado).
This time it will be different, as we’re driving a 4x4 Iveco Turbodaily.

Is anyone here with Ivecos? In particular, has anyone driven in the Americas with an Iveco. I’m expecting issues, as it’s a 23 year old truck, but I guess we’ll just have to figure it out. Parts and expertise may be an issue, apart from in a few countries along our route.
It would be great to me lots of members while we travel.
We’ll be vlogging about it here:

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looking forward to watching your VLOGs. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable even in obscure non-North American market vehicles, and I had to Google Iveco. It looks like yours would be after the Ford Trucks merger, right? What is the drivetrain in it? Does it use many Ford parts?

-TJ

Reactions: Overlandsite_Ferenc

Overlandsite_Ferenc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Budapest, Hungary
First Name
Ferenc
Last Name
Elekes
Member #

Looking forward to watching your VLOGs. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable even in obscure non-North American market vehicles, and I had to Google Iveco. It looks like yours would be after the Ford Trucks merger, right? What is the drivetrain in it? Does it use many Ford parts?

-TJ
Thanks!
I don’t think it has compatible Ford parts at all unfortunately.
It is pretty robust and the fact that it’s old means that it’s a simple mechanical vehicle so hopefully it’s not difficult to fix, should it break down.

Reactions: Billiebob

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great trip! Looking forward to your vlogs.

It's true that you cannot carry every spare part. However, if the vehicle is not available in the region or has never been officially sold there, I would at least always pack all consumables such as all filters, relevant gaskets, etc. It is really annoying to wait a long time for a small thing like an oil filter or similar. In addition, pack the spare parts, where it is known that it can go broken and of course the usual material to improvise and manuals. Then with a well maintained vehicle (including preventive maintenance and improvements where possible) everything should run well. And if something unexpected breaks, you also have time on such a long trip to wait for parts in that case. For this situation it is helpful to have a contact person at home who knows a bit about overlanding and vehicle technology and can get and send the spare parts. With this person you could also store a box with parts.

Safe travels!

Bjoern

Reactions: Overlandsite_Ferenc

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We ran across lots of Iveco Daily's on the Pan-Am. IIRC, the first Iveco service center is in Costa Rica when going southbound. It's a great platform. Use iOverlander to find reputable mechanics if you need one. It's a great trip. Please feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions, need advice, or just need a fellow Pan-Amer to listen. Enjoy the ride!