HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Over 10,000 years ago, Lake Lahontan was North America’s largest ice-age lake with an area stretching 8500 square miles from northwest Nevada and northeast California to southern Oregon. Depths of the lake were estimated at 500 to 900 feet.

The only remnants of the Lahontan ice-age Lake are Pyramid and Walker Lakes and a vast expanse of the Black Rock Desert, including Soldier Meadows and the trails through the surrounding mountains and canyons. The remote and rough environment whets the HappyOurOverlanding gangs appetites for the history and pre-history of the area and the desire to follow a portion of the old Applegate Trail for the next 5 days.

1 Blackrock Route.png

For the modern-day art folk, you may recognize this area as the place where the yearly Burning Man festival is held. In September Burning Man takes over a portion of the lower playa and erects a temporary city aptly named Black Rock City.

Making our way to Applegate Trail

After about three hours of driving on smooth asphalt from our home base with stops for dog walks, snacks and topping off our tanks in Gerlach NV, we entered the west end of the Playa just below where Burning man is held. Our goal that day was to zoom across the playa to the east side and headed for Black Rock, an Iconic outcrop near the middle of the playa, with a few stops on the way and meet up with the Applegate Trail.

2 Entering the Playa.JPG
We pushed on across the playa, kicking up dust and turning our vehicles into the color of cement-white. We zigged and we zagged over the sand and eventually picked up the designated route to our first destination and requisite stop at Black Rock Springs for a picture.
connie at black rock springs.jpg

Even though this is a rather warm spring, it doesn’t compare to our next stop. So, from here we connected to the Applegate Trail and headed to Double Hot springs.

10 Double Hot Springs.JPG

We decided to camp on the high side of Double Hot Springs which made a great backdrop for out campsite.

14 Camp site.JPG

Signposts Along the Trail

At this and many other stops along the way, Trails West, Inc. has placed markers (placards mounted to what look to be cut railroad tracks) that give insight to the places emigrant travelers came through along with quotes from their written history.

IMG_0185.JPG

Continuing down the trail, we came to our first river crossing—or should I say, a very muddy, rutted, boggy river crossing which wanted to push the vehicles into the tall Rushes on the sides. Once this obstacle was overcome, we stop at Mud Lake.

18 Mud Meadow.JPG

From here we drove to the high side of the lake and found a campsite to stay two nights in Soldiers Meadow. There are certain areas that BLM has set up as designated campsites so folks don’t disturb the surrounding environment. Soldiers Meadow is one of those areas. The benefit of this campsite is the access to several warm spring pools in which you can soak your tired bones and muscles after being jostled around on the trail.

Selfie in hot springs.jpg

After two days of scrumptious meals, soaking in a hot-spring pool, a hot shower, and two nights of Coyotes singing, we headed off—skirting Mud Meadow, and into Fly Canyon.

From a couple of rut filled river crossings to climbing over, around, and down some butt puckering terrain, everything along the trail was fairly straight forward. Well– until I started driving the incorrect line down a rock step. Leave it to the ‘Newby’ overlander to miss the mark.

14.1-Bill-going-down-rock-step-badly-225x300.jpg

Thank goodness for Spotters

Once we were out of the canyon, we found a campsite about 100 yards from a steep grade with worn ruts made by the wagons that came this way. We decided to name the site ‘Wagon Rut Campsite.’ The site had a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains and the trail from where we came.

Wagon Rut night shot.JPG

Once on the other side of the hill, it was into the tall shrubs and through a narrow canyon to follow a meandering trail to the next water crossing. But first we had to herd some free ranging cows and calves. It’s astonishing to see these large beasts staring at you eye-to-eye through the window as we calmly passed to ensure we didn’t scare them. Sure glad they didn’t decide to come up for a visit –though they did deposit ‘pies’ along the trail that we had to maneuver around when possible.

Further down the trail we continued to East Fork High Rock Canyon wilderness and pulled into the High Rock Canyon Garage. Not that we were in need of any service since this garage has been abandoned for quite a while.

IMG_0236.JPG

Well five days of 4-wheeling fun was coming to an end along with our water and gas supply. We decided to spend our last night overlooking the Playa within a few miles of Gerlach where we could fuel up again.

IMG_0255.JPG

On our drive back home, we stopped at one of the two lakes left over from the Ancient Ice Age Lake—Pyramid Lake, and captured our final shots of our Happy Our Overlanding adventure.

IMG_0263.JPG

Over 10,000 years ago, Lake Lahontan was North America’s largest ice-age lake with an area stretching 8500 square miles from northwest Nevada and northeast California to southern Oregon. Depths of the lake were estimated at 500 to 900 feet.

The only remnants of the Lahontan ice-age Lake are Pyramid and Walker Lakes and a vast expanse of the Black Rock Desert, including Soldier Meadows and the trails through the surrounding mountains and canyons. The remote and rough environment whets the HappyOurOverlanding gangs appetites for the history and pre-history of the area and the desire to follow a portion of the old Applegate Trail for the next 5 days.

View attachment 45970

For the modern-day art folk, you may recognize this area as the place where the yearly Burning Man festival is held. In September Burning Man takes over a portion of the lower playa and erects a temporary city aptly named Black Rock City.

After about three hours of driving on smooth asphalt from our home base with stops for dog walks, snacks and topping off our tanks in Gerlach NV, we entered the west end of the Playa just below where Burning man is held. Our goal that day was to zoom across the playa to the east side and headed for Black Rock, an Iconic outcrop near the middle of the playa, with a few stops on the way and meet up with the Applegate Trail.

View attachment 45971
We pushed on across the playa, kicking up dust and turning our vehicles into the color of cement-white. We zigged and we zagged over the sand and eventually picked up the designated route to our first destination and requisite stop at Black Rock Springs for a picture.
View attachment 45972

Even though this is a rather warm spring, it doesn’t compare to our next stop. So, from here we connected to the Applegate Trail and headed to Double Hot springs.

View attachment 45973

We decided to camp on the high side of Double Hot Springs which made a great backdrop for out campsite.

View attachment 45974

At this and many other stops along the way, Trails West, Inc. has placed markers (placards mounted to what look to be cut railroad tracks) that give insight to the places emigrant travelers came through along with quotes from their written history.

View attachment 45975

Continuing down the trail, we came to our first river crossing—or should I say, a very muddy, rutted, boggy river crossing which wanted to push the vehicles into the tall Rushes on the sides. Once this obstacle was overcome, we stop at Mud Lake.

View attachment 45976

From here we drove to the high side of the lake and found a campsite to stay two nights in Soldiers Meadow. There are certain areas that BLM has set up as designated campsites so folks don’t disturb the surrounding environment. Soldiers Meadow is one of those areas. The benefit of this campsite is the access to several warm spring pools in which you can soak your tired bones and muscles after being jostled around on the trail.

View attachment 45977

After two days of scrumptious meals, soaking in a hot-spring pool, a hot shower, and two nights of Coyotes singing, we headed off—skirting Mud Meadow, and into Fly Canyon.

From a couple of rut filled river crossings to climbing over, around, and down some butt puckering terrain, everything along the trail was fairly straight forward. Well– until I started driving the incorrect line down a rock step. Leave it to the ‘Newby’ overlander to miss the mark.

View attachment 45978

Once we were out of the canyon, we found a campsite about 100 yards from a steep grade with worn ruts made by the wagons that came this way. We decided to name the site ‘Wagon Rut Campsite.’ The site had a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains and the trail from where we came.

View attachment 45979

Once on the other side of the hill, it was into the tall shrubs and through a narrow canyon to follow a meandering trail to the next water crossing. But first we had to herd some free ranging cows and calves. It’s astonishing to see these large beasts staring at you eye-to-eye through the window as we calmly passed to ensure we didn’t scare them. Sure glad they didn’t decide to come up for a visit –though they did deposit ‘pies’ along the trail that we had to maneuver around when possible.

Further down the trail we continued to East Fork High Rock Canyon wilderness and pulled into the High Rock Canyon Garage. Not that we were in need of any service since this garage has been abandoned for quite a while.

View attachment 45981

Well five days of 4-wheeling fun was coming to an end along with our water and gas supply. We decided to spend our last night overlooking the Playa within a few miles of Gerlach where we could fuel up again.

View attachment 45983

On our drive back home, we stopped at one of the two lakes left over from the Ancient Ice Age Lake—Pyramid Lake, and captured our final shots of our Happy Our Overlanding adventure.

View attachment 45982
Awesome trip and post! Looking forward to following up on your route.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I'm headed to Yellowstone in October and I think I want to check out Black Rock on the way there, any chance you can share some tracks?
@ScorpioVI , I need to check to see if I can download the waypoints and tracks from my inReach account for you. Even though my blog site gives a bit more detail as to each stop, I'll need to attempt a data dump for you. Give me a bit of time and I'll get back to you.

Reactions: ScorpioVI

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

View attachment 45970

View attachment 45971
View attachment 45972

View attachment 45973

View attachment 45974

View attachment 45975

View attachment 45976

View attachment 45977

View attachment 45978

View attachment 45979

View attachment 45981

View attachment 45983

View attachment 45982
Don't know how I missed this when it was posted, but noticed it today in Recent Posts.

What a great write up on an awesome trip! I'm a sucker for history like this and am fortunate in traveling solo a lot, which allows me to spend all day, sometimes multiple days, following historical markers, plaques, tidbits of local lore, and visiting the odd lonely museum. One of these days I'll find someone to travel with me who enjoys lollygagging with history as much as I do.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Don't know how I missed this when it was posted, but noticed it today in Recent Posts.

What a great write up on an awesome trip! I'm a sucker for history like this and am fortunate in traveling solo a lot, which allows me to spend all day, sometimes multiple days, following historical markers, plaques, tidbits of local lore, and visiting the odd lonely museum. One of these days I'll find someone to travel with me who enjoys lollygagging with history as much as I do.
Thanks Road. My wife got me hooked on tidbits of history and stories about the areas we visit. I drive and she reads interesting stories. It started with our 3 week move to Nevada from the east coast. There is a bunch of interesting stuff across the USA that most folks miss by not taking the roads less traveled. Now I try to add this interest to the blog site for family and friends to enjoy. I am sure your area has lots of interesting lore.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks Road. My wife got me hooked on tidbits of history and stories about the areas we visit. I drive and she reads interesting stories. It started with our 3 week move to Nevada from the east coast. There is a bunch of interesting stuff across the USA that most folks miss by not taking the roads less traveled. Now I try to add this interest to the blog site for family and friends to enjoy. I am sure your area has lots of interesting lore.
There is, though it is always more interesting to me when I'm out west, along the borderlands in Texas or in the southwest deserts, or up in the PNW, or up around the St Lawrence Seaway...I just become fascinated with it all, the long travels pioneers made, the way commerce and trade moved across the continent and helped form new towns, the incredible river histories, and on and on. Some states are better with historical markers than others and I've found more interesting ones out west, perhaps because there is more room. Texas is really great about marking historical places.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Agree! Awesome trip with a great write up. Every time I see stuff on the American desert areas, it makes me want to go there more.

I'll join you as one who loves lollygagging with history. I'm planning an expedition for next year to explore 3 ghost towns in northwestern BC. 2 of them can only be accessed by water, so it's going to involve me and my exploring buddies acquiring a small boat somehow...lol

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Agree! Awesome trip with a great write up. Every time I see stuff on the American desert areas, it makes me want to go there more.

I'll join you as one who loves lollygagging with history. I'm planning an expedition for next year to explore 3 ghost towns in northwestern BC. 2 of them can only be accessed by water, so it's going to involve me and my exploring buddies acquiring a small boat somehow...lol
You'll have to keep me in the loop on the BC ghost town trip. I hope to be up that way to get some work done in Kamloops, then, depending on time of year, may go exploring BC, Yukon, and Alaska. I've got a great 14' Hornbeck canoe, but don't know if that's the kind of boat that can get out where you want to go. Two person at most.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

You'll have to keep me in the loop on the BC ghost town trip. I hope to be up that way to get some work done in Kamloops, then, depending on time of year, may go exploring BC, Yukon, and Alaska. I've got a great 14' Hornbeck canoe, but don't know if that's the kind of boat that can get out where you want to go. Two person at most.
We'll need something with a motor. We were thinking of trying to scoop a cheap 14' aluminum or perhaps an inflatable from craigslist. Something that can carry 3-4 guys and get somewhere a bit faster than a canoe, as the longest section of water is 33km one way.

I'll for sure keep you posted, though! The more the merrier.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

@CR-Venturer, your trip to NW BC sounds interesting. We've only been as far as Vancouver Island. Looking to explore more though. Keep us updated on your plans.
For sure. When I get closer and further into the planning, I'll open a thread about it. Currently we have a newborn and wife is recovering from an emergency C-section, so things are a bit hectic lol.