Driving Across Canada in the Winter - West to East

• HTML tutorial

Should I drive to the Canadian East Coast in December or wait till Spring?

• No, Wait for Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Enthusiast III

Clare, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
Currently I am on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, about as far west as I can go in Canada.

I recently purchased a small home in Nova Scotia, which is over 6,000kms (3,700miles) away on the east coast of Canada. I would like to be in my new home sooner than later, so I have decided to head back in mid December, once I get my new tires.

I am going to stick to the Trans-Canada Hwy to hopefully give me the best chance for clearer roads.

I am not a super star that can drive a crazy amount of kms in a day, so I am planning on about 500kms a day. Considering the wild card, winter weather, I figured this is manageable. The tricky thing is, I also want to bring my canoe. I am a bit worried about prairie winds + ice + canoe sail.....

Also a concern is the winter driving, I haven't driven in snow for 30 years so I need to relearn the mindset.

I guess I am writing this to hear of someone else's experiences of travelling a lot in the winter months, any advice (besides get good tires...lol) is always welcome.

Is this silly? Should I wait for Spring?

Reactions: Vfrobin

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

No boubt Prarie winds will suck. Also coastal snows to keep in mind. Not saying it's not doable and if your mind is set on it than take it easy and if it doesn't feel right, stop. If the weather cooperates it could be fine, if not it could take significantly longer to accomplish. Use your best judgment with your driving skill and comfort in mind.

Reactions: Grasshopper's Path

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used to tell new drivers that when on snow covered roads, drive as if you have no brakes, because you don’t. Sell the canoe, you can always replace it, it’ll collect ice, snow and make your vehicle top heavy. Check weather forecasts hourly, don’t be the hero. Do not even attempt to drive on ice covered roads. IF you get caught in an ice storm get off the highway ASAP. IF - you do get caught in heavy snow, keep driving until you can get to a safe haven, truck stop, hotel, small town, etc. skip the rest areas, and whatever you do, don’t attempt to pull off to the side, you might get plowed in. Don’t drive so slow that you impede truck traffic. Speaking of truck traffic, I’d get a cheap hand held CB radio and listen to them when and if you find yourself in inclement weather. Have with you lots of water, extra food, cold weather boots, clothing, blankets and a top shelf sleeping bag, just in case. Tire chains, learn to put them on in your driveway. Don’t follow trucks too closely, instead, pace them about 100 yards back. I think you should go! Years from now it’ll be a great life’s moment that’ll become family lore. I must ask- what vehicle do you drive? No matter- just have a trusted mechanic get it up on a lift and fine tooth comb inspect it. If the mechanic won’t let you walk through it with him, then find another mechanic. Experience here? Hundreds of thousands of miles on compacted snow covered roads. Be smart, keep your head, be patient, you don’t want to be another statistic. Did I mention, drive as if you have no brakes, because you don’t.? It’s all about driving smooth. Good Luck !!

Last edited:

Marty_d3f81b

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Medford, Jackson County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Marty
Last Name
LaDuke
Member #

I used to tell new drivers that when on snow covered roads, drive as if you have no brakes, because you don’t. Sell the canoe, you can always replace it, it’ll collect ice, snow and make your vehicle top heavy. Check weather forecasts hourly, don’t be the hero. Do not even attempt to drive on ice covered roads. IF you get caught in an ice storm get off the highway ASAP. IF - you do get caught in heavy snow, keep driving until you can get to a safe haven, truck stop, hotel, small town, etc. skip the rest areas, and whatever you do, don’t attempt to pull off to the side, you might get plowed in. Don’t drive so slow that you impede truck traffic. Speaking of truck traffic, I’d get a cheap hand held CB radio and listen to them when and if you find yourself in inclement weather. Have with you lots of water, extra food, cold weather boots, clothing, blankets and a top shelf sleeping bag, just in case. Tire chains, learn to put them on in your driveway. Don’t follow trucks too closely, instead, pace them about 100 yards back. I think you should go! Years from now it’ll be a great life’s moment that’ll become family lore. I must ask- what vehicle do you drive? No matter- just have a trusted mechanic get it up on a lift and fine tooth comb inspect it. If the mechanic won’t let you walk through it with him, then find another mechanic. Experience here? Hundreds of thousands of miles on compacted snow covered roads. Be smart, keep your head, be patient, you don’t want to be another statistic. Did I mention, drive as if you have no brakes, because you don’t.? It’s all about driving smooth. Good Luck !!
Excellent advice!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I say go in December if you're planning to stay on a main highway. Stop and take a break if you run into a snowstorm and give it a day or two for the road to clear up again. I grew up in Minnesota and except during heavy snow events the main highways were always cleared and open so I'm betting the same is true in Canada.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
Hi Michelle. Said a bit more tactfully...if you had a lot of winter experience, treated it like a serious Overlanding trip, ditched the canoe, then it's doable. But you don't, are not and have a canoe still. People drive it all the time. But with your lack of experience, even with 4x4, you would be better off skipping, or minimum going in a group, with some experienced drivers. My only other suggestion is drive south into USA and tour way south and across USA and up east coast. But you'll still have winter to contend with from NY on up. So, go in early summer next year. Maybe just fly out and enjoy your new place for a bit. Cheers.
Thanks for the advice. I plan on going with another vehicle and the driver has more experience with winter driving, so that will help. I am thinking now to leave the canoe with a friend and make a trip back in the summer to retrieve it. Another reason for a road trip isn’t a bad thing.

Reactions: Viking1204

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
No boubt Prarie winds will suck. Also coastal snows to keep in mind. Not saying it's not doable and if your mind is set on it than take it easy and if it doesn't feel right, stop. If the weather cooperates it could be fine, if not it could take significantly longer to accomplish. Use your best judgment with your driving skill and comfort in mind.
Thanks for the sound advice. I do have time on my side, so the plan is slow and steady.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
Great advice. I am driving my 2017 4Runner. I have been living on the road for almost a year and have driven thousands of kms. I am hoping this experience carries over to my future adventures.

I am now thinking to leave the canoe and return for it another time. I have had the Toyota serviced, got new tires and know it well. I have emergency everything and a logical mind, so with adventure in my heart I think I can do it!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
I say go in December if you're planning to stay on a main highway. Stop and take a break if you run into a snowstorm and give it a day or two for the road to clear up again. I grew up in Minnesota and except during heavy snow events the main highways were always cleared and open so I'm betting the same is true in Canada.
Thanks. Yes, I will be staying on the main highway and it stays clear for the most part. I have the time and plan to go one mile at a time.

Reactions: Viking1204

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Excellent advice from MOAK.

Driving on snow hasn't changed much in 30 years. In the first week of snow every winter there are lots of fender-benders - people forget, but are reminded quickly - it's nearly always lack of caution and inadequate stopping distance With caution, common sense, and good Situational Awareness you;ll be fine as long as you stay on the TC. It's key to be prepared to stop and spend a day or two for conditions to improve if they deteriorate. I agree that you should leave the canoe behind, they have canoes in NS as well.

I'm not so sure about the chains - I have many winters' experience in Canada and have never used chains (have only ever used them in Europe). The problem is that you are not allowed to use studded tyres in Ontario (at least not in the TC) or I'd say just use studded tyres. If you get into snow thick enough (in terms of the layer on the highway) that chains are in fact useable, then it may be time to stop.

If you had never driven on snow I'd say wait until Spring, however although it has been a while, I think the skill will come back quickly.

Even if you wait until Spring it may not be long enough - I've had to turn back on the way north to Jasper because of snow.... in August!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great advice. I am driving my 2017 4Runner. I have been living on the road for almost a year and have driven thousands of kms. I am hoping this experience carries over to my future adventures.

I am now thinking to leave the canoe and return for it another time. I have had the Toyota serviced, got new tires and know it well. I have emergency everything and a logical mind, so with adventure in my heart I think I can do it!
You go! The 4Runner is a solid truck for that kind of journey. And honestly, some of the best drives we have ever taken were cross country ( upper states ) to the PNW and even more often up to Halifax, from Pennsylvania multiple times , in the dead of winter. There is something eerily attractive about driving in winter.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm

Driving on snow hasn't changed much in 30 years. In the first week of snow every winter there are lots of fender-benders - people forget, but are reminded quickly - it's nearly always lack of caution and inadequate stopping distance With caution, common sense, and good Situational Awareness you;ll be fine as long as you stay on the TC. It's key to be prepared to stop and spend a day or two for conditions to improve if they deteriorate. I agree that you should leave the canoe behind, they have canoes in NS as well.

I'm not so sure about the chains - I have many winters' experience in Canada and have never used chains (have only ever used them in Europe). The problem is that you are not allowed to use studded tyres in Ontario (at least not in the TC) or I'd say just use studded tyres. If you get into snow thick enough (in terms of the layer on the highway) that chains are in fact useable, then it may be time to stop.

If you had never driven on snow I'd say wait until Spring, however although it has been a while, I think the skill will come back quickly.

Even if you wait until Spring it may not be long enough - I've had to turn back on the way north to Jasper because of snow.... in August!
Thanks, all good points. I feel the same about chains.

I think the term you used, situational awareness is key. After thinking about it and the good advice I am getting here, I have decided to leave the canoe with a friend. Just gives me an excuse for another road trip back west sometime soon.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm

You go! The 4Runner is a solid truck for that kind of journey. And honestly, some of the best drives we have ever taken were cross country ( upper states ) to the PNW and even more often up to Halifax, from Pennsylvania multiple times , in the dead of winter. There is something eerily attractive about driving in winter.
Thanks . The 4Runner does give me some peace of mind.

I am really looking forward to the scenery in winter, a magical sight I’m sure.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Hey there, I’ve carried chains with me every time I’ve traveled long distance in my personal vehicle in the winter. I’ve never had to use them, but- one never knows. I’ve never had to use a spare tire, safety kit, tire repair kit, spare belts or hoses, but I keep carrying them, just in case. Anyone, traveling long distance in the winter ought to have a set of chains, and know how to use them.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hey there, I’ve carried chains with me every time I’ve traveled long distance in my personal vehicle in the winter. I’ve never had to use them, but- one never knows. I’ve never had to use a spare tire, safety kit, tire repair kit, spare belts or hoses, but I keep carrying them, just in case. Anyone, traveling long distance in the winter ought to have a set of chains, and know how to use them.
Yes, I take your point. As noted, I've never needed chains in Canada, however have needed:

- a spare wheel - three times in the last decade
- tyre repair kit - ten times in the last decade (twice for us, eight times for others)
- safety kit - rarely, however it's a legal requirement for us anyway
- spare belts/hoses - we've stopped carrying them, because we've never needed them (at least not since my 1947 MG at University).

We do carry spare bulbs (a legal requirement in some countries).

I guess we should buy some chains for the next Canadian trip, if we continue into winter. The ones I had in Europe were great - they were attached to a pair of circular plastic "rims" - to keep the chains from getting knotted up - easy to put on. ANnyone know whether this type is still available?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes, I take your point. As noted, I've never needed chains in Canada, however have needed:

- a spare wheel - three times in the last decade
- tyre repair kit - ten times in the last decade (twice for us, eight times for others)
- safety kit - rarely, however it's a legal requirement for us anyway
- spare belts/hoses - we've stopped carrying them, because we've never needed them (at least not since my 1947 MG at University).

We do carry spare bulbs (a legal requirement in some countries).

I guess we should buy some chains for the next Canadian trip, if we continue into winter. The ones I had in Europe were great - they were attached to a pair of circular plastic "rims" - to keep the chains from getting knotted up - easy to put on. ANnyone know whether this type is still available?
You’re making me cry- a 47 MG?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Michelle, sounds like you'll do just fine. Glad to hear you ditched the canoe and have new tires. I was going to suggest that, especially Blizzaks, but since you bought new already , that is still a plus. I would recommend a Sat communicator like Zoleo but perhaps that is something you are not able to deal with budget wise ?
in a very short time starlink will be available to anyone that purchases the app for their phone. All those expensive Satellite communication devices will soon be antiques. At this point an inexpensive PLB might be a better option. But for highway travel? Nah- plenty of traffic on the Trans Ca