Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
My question is specific to Tacoma as I've heard so much negative about driver comfort. I'm not biased towards Tacoma, but I would like to go that route due to all the aftermarket (and obviously parts supply as it's the number 1 seller).

I'm 6 foot 2 inches - (bad back from Army, but not concerned about that since I can always add a lumbar pillow - have one in my 2012 WRX and 2017 Outback).

What are people's thoughts on the driver comfort? Will be my first truck, and I do like all the features with the 2015-2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad so want to buy one. I could always go Colorado Z71 or ZR2, but it seems like the Tacoma is the way (This is the way).

Thoughts?

Reactions: Corrie

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

My question is specific to Tacoma as I've heard so much negative about driver comfort. I'm not biased towards Tacoma, but I would like to go that route due to all the aftermarket (and obviously parts supply as it's the number 1 seller).

I'm 6 foot 2 inches - (bad back from Army, but not concerned about that since I can always add a lumbar pillow - have one in my 2012 WRX and 2017 Outback).

What are people's thoughts on the driver comfort? Will be my first truck, and I do like all the features with the 2015-2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad so want to buy one. I could always go Colorado Z71 or ZR2, but it seems like the Tacoma is the way (This is the way).

Thoughts?

I've heard a few ways to make the seats more comfortable if you find a problem with them.
1) "Seat jackers" or similar risers that slip between the front seat mounts and the body to raise the front edge tends to help folks with long legs, as long as the seat is deep enough with your lumbar support installed.
2) Seat relocate brackets that move the seat back an inch or so. Again milled brackets that shift the mounting points back to provide more leg room.
3) Recovering/padding the stock seats to meet your needs. Thinner+firmer cushions shaped to meet your comfort preferences
4) Swapping in Lexus seats (Success! Lexus F-Sport Seat swap)

Boort

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

You should sit in the seat and judge for yourself. I am 6’ 5” tall and face the same issues you face but a little bit more. I drive a Jeep Wrangler which when reading reviews about comfort suggested that I would not fit (or that I would). In the end I had to sit in the seat to judge for myself. It seems that more than overall height come into play as two people with the same height can have different torso and leg heights for example.

Although I fit just fine in the Wrangler I find that the seats aren’t the best for comfort especially for long trips. Other people have no issues with their comfort. Again it comes down to you and how you feel actually sitting in the seat.

I did install a set of seat jackers and those do help with regard to comfort. I understand that those are more popular with the Tacoma community so that may be something to look into if you go that route.

Reactions: RedHawk

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
At 6'2" and a long torso, I didn't really have any issues with the Tacoma or 4Runner seats themselves......but more so the proximity with the floor. My legs couldn't find a comfortable position on longer drives. I think seat jackers would cure or help with that. And, like @socal66 says above......everyone is different, I find my JKU seats to be very comfortable, LOL!

I found the Toyota Sport seats much better than the non-sport seats that I had.

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
At 6'2" and a long torso, I didn't really have any issues with the Tacoma or 4Runner seats themselves......but more so the proximity with the floor. My legs couldn't find a comfortable position on longer drives. I think seat jackers would cure or help with that. And, like @socal66 says above......everyone is different, I find my JKU seats to be very comfortable, LOL!

I found the Toyota Sport seats much better than the non-sport seats that I had.
yes, I used to have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler, and those seats were very comfortable. But I need a small truck and still want to go off road. The Gladiators are way too expensive and a wrangler won't work :(

Reactions: zgfiredude

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
You should sit in the seat and judge for yourself. I am 6’ 5” tall and face the same issues you face but a little bit more. I drive a Jeep Wrangler which when reading reviews about comfort suggested that I would not fit (or that I would). In the end I had to sit in the seat to judge for myself. It seems that more than overall height come into play as two people with the same height can have different torso and leg heights for example.

Although I fit just fine in the Wrangler I find that the seats aren’t the best for comfort especially for long trips. Other people have no issues with their comfort. Again it comes down to you and how you feel actually sitting in the seat.

I did install a set of seat jackers and those do help with regard to comfort. I understand that those are more popular with the Tacoma community so that may be something to look into if you go that route.
I have sat in many Tacomas but never drove one. Seemed fine, but the floor did feel very high. I did like my 2007 Wrangler, which was very comfortable but I need a small truck.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I had a 2019 Tacoma TRD short wheel base out when it came in, it was NOT comfortable at all. it was like you were lying down with no room for my legs. I am only 5'7". It was back to the dealer with that, and moved on from wanting one. The aftermarket will take care of all other smaller trucks too. The Colorado/Canyon, Ranger, Frontier are all more comfortable than the taco.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'm 6'6, I put seat jackers in my Gladiator, changed my world.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Nice. Gladiator is my top choice, but even used are so much more expensive than Tacoma TRD Offroad and Colorado ZR2. Sounds like I may go the ZR2 route.
You can order a Ram 2500 with a Power Wagon equipment package cheaper than you can order a Gladiator Rubicon. Of those choices on the used market I would guess the ZR2 is the least expensive based entirely on demand. I looked at them before I bought the Gladiator, nice trucks but there were some items I didn't like and they were comparable money new.

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
You can order a Ram 2500 with a Power Wagon equipment package cheaper than you can order a Gladiator Rubicon. Of those choices on the used market I would guess the ZR2 is the least expensive based entirely on demand. I looked at them before I bought the Gladiator, nice trucks but there were some items I didn't like and they were comparable money new.
Thanks, but I live in the city and want a midsized truck :)

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I love Tacomas, but have only driven a few. I'm 6'1", but all my height is in my torso, 28" inseam, so short legs. I had some trouble getting into the truck, with the taller floor, then I was only about 1/2" from the ceiling. Comfortwise I was fine, but the height concerned me enough to question if I could actually own the truck. Everyone fits and feels different, so ultimately you have to make the call, but that is my experience in a Taco. Had similar issues with 4 Runner I drove as well, to a lesser extent.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS

Thoughts?

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
I’m 6’2 and I absolutely love my Toyota Tacoma. It’s been on many road trips where I’ve spent 13 hours sitting in the driver seat going from California to the grand Tetons and I have absolutely no complaints about comfort

Saywashing

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brunswick, Maine
First Name
Aron
Last Name
Labbe
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
I'm 6'2" 260lbs with an old back injury. I've put 300,000 miles on my 2013 Tacoma and my only issue so far is the cushion is breaking down, allowing part of the steel in the seat back to put pressure on my lower back. However, at my size and mileage I guess I shouldn't be surprised that things are wearing out.

bear_den_overland

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pittsburgh
First Name
Greg
Last Name
StClair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXQ724
I didn’t know this was a thing. I’m 6’2” and am totally comfortable in my Tacoma . Much more than my Wife’s Crosstrek. I guess people need things to talk about. We just drove 11 hours yesterday.

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
I'm 6'2" 260lbs with an old back injury. I've put 300,000 miles on my 2013 Tacoma and my only issue so far is the cushion is breaking down, allowing part of the steel in the seat back to put pressure on my lower back. However, at my size and mileage I guess I shouldn't be surprised that things are wearing out.
wow, congrats on the 300K! Yeah, sounds like a new seat is in order :) I have an old back injury as well.