Jacksonville, AL, USA
First Name
taylor
Last Name
haynes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OOT
Hello all! Cheap State Overland is looking to make a beach camping trip the weekend of November 15-18. We originally wanted to make a run to Outer Banks, NC. but it seems Hurricane Dorian changed those plans for us. We are looking to do some beach driving and camp on the beach. We have been told about Galveston, TX. and another near Corpus Christi, TX that can be driven for a good distance. We are from the north east Alabama (Anniston) area and thinking of limiting the travel time to around 10 hours from home to maximize out time. Anybody have any good ideas? or can anyone confirm Outer Banks being torn up bad enough to avoid?

cliff notes: I need to find a place to do a good few miles of beach driving, camping available somewhat away from people, within 10 hours drivetime from north east alabama.

thanks guys!
Taylor
Cheap State Overland.
image1.jpeg

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Tayzoid1

Rank I

Contributor II

Jacksonville, AL, USA
First Name
taylor
Last Name
haynes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OOT
Port st joe in Florida. Get a permit and drive on the beach
I will take a look, thanks! From what I’ve seen in Florida, there isn’t much beach that isn’t extremely populated, is that the case for port at joe?

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
No bea
So I think we have settle on sea rim state park outside of port Arthur, TX. Any opinions?
No beach driving at Sea Rim. You will have to go west past the park. Shortly after that, the old highway starts turning into sippy holes with rebar. But you should go check it out. The beach driving you seek is known as P.I.N.S. Padre Island National Seashore. 60 miles one way.

Reactions: jeepers29

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I will take a look, thanks! From what I’ve seen in Florida, there isn’t much beach that isn’t extremely populated, is that the case for port at joe?
It has condos along the way of the beach then a few stretches of nothingness. Haven’t been since before the hurricane came through

Tayzoid1

Rank I

Contributor II

Jacksonville, AL, USA
First Name
taylor
Last Name
haynes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OOT
No bea

No beach driving at Sea Rim. You will have to go west past the park. Shortly after that, the old highway starts turning into sippy holes with rebar. But you should go check it out. The beach driving you seek is known as P.I.N.S. Padre Island National Seashore. 60 miles one way.
l took a look at that but its gonna add about hours drive time over the 10 we wanted to stay under. We wanted to head to OBX but it seems the hurricane messed it up pretty bad, so we are looking for alternatives.