Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Folles, Haute-Vienne, France
First Name
paul
Last Name
Newbold
Member #

We spent a long time camping out of the back of our defender and were starting to feel that we could do a little better, Nicky has some health issues that were starting to make camping difficult.
We decided to plan out a system so we no longer had boxes stacked up in the back and we could set up the kitchen for a brew easier.
This led us to start looking at drawer systems and being of modest means we embarked on a difficult journey for me (I'm useless at woodwork) to build a system ourselves.
We wanted to have to have a fridge some drawers and storage, but also a flat surface to sleep on if needed luckily we are not big people.
We opted for plywood which is glued and screwed together in sections so we can remove them if we need to use the back for another job. So we drew some "plans" loosely and set about making some cases, in all we made 4 cases one to house the fridge and drawers, two long boxes to sit over the wheel arches and a final box which fits up behind the bulkhead leaving a void in the middle. This void then has a lid to create a flat sleeping area.

We bought heavy duty drawer runners for the fridge slide and the stainless table that we made to fit (using recycled materials from an old washing machine)

It's not pretty but it works for us and if it can inspire someone to have a go then I will be really happy.

Cheers Paul and Nicky

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Looking good Paul! I hope the fridge gets enough air, we had some problems with the fridge in a similar situation.
If you ever need help with something like this, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Reactions: paul87250