Drawer Build for a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

• HTML tutorial

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Let me start by saying I've never done anything like this before in my life. I've never built a drawer box let alone one that has to fit in a tight space.

Materials Used:
1 4x8 3/4 Birch plywood from Menards
1 4x8 1/2 Birch plywood from Menards
2 Quarts Kilz Primer
1 Quart Valspar Duramax exterior satin Black
1 Quart Valspar Duramax exterior satin "Overland Bound Yellow"
2 100lbs drawer slides from Lowes
Pocket screws, wood glue and brad nails.

Tools:
Table saw, made cutting the plywood so easy, just got this tool.
Brad Nailer
Kreg Jig <-- not sure this is really needed, screws and wood glue would do just as well.

Still waiting for the top rubber mat to come in to put on top of the drawers, should be here today. Also need to figure out a door latch idea, to keep the drawers open and closed.

Now for the pictures.

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0488.jpg IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0478.jpg IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0481.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Very nice, Kenny! This is similar to what I want to do in the 4Runner once the weather turns in the spring. I'm thinking more modular, so I can have one or both in, and put a cooler slide on top of one side.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Rob here are some more pictures, been using them all summer and I love them! Well worth the effort. I carry basic tools, jumper cables, and a med kit. All have come in handy over the this summer.

The drawers sit on 1x1in stock so I had to cut the plastic away so they sit flush. This also stopped the drawers from moving left to right. Scary cutting your brand new car but ultimately it’s just plastic trim that can be replace.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: St8ton and Jimmy P

9K2KA

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Kuwait
Member #

Amazing work specially for the first time, and great way to hold the drawers by using the U bolts

I would recommend covering the drawers with some kind of carpet that some how matches the interior, it will also help with sound deadening

Good luck

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Wrath0r not 100% sure what the ending weight was. If I had to guess it’s 60-80 pounds total.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

Very cool. I want to do something similar like another mentioned...maybe a modular design with one capable of being removed or a fridge slide going along side.

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Cut some plywood to rest on the drawers when pulled out. Made a great cooking surface. Used it last night on a road trip to Milwaukee to watch my beloved Cubs play:)

Reactions: khorsa and Jimmy P