Enthusiast III

Nebraska
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
LaGrange
Service Branch
Go Army! Beat Navy!
I'm in the works to build my frame right now and wanted to get opinions on draw bars. My original design had a draw bar from the coupler all the way through to the back bumper. My intentions were to put another receiver there for a recovery point. With that being said.....would you build the frame with the draw bar under the crossmembers? Or put it through them? The main frame and crossmembers will be 2x3 material. And what are the advantages/ disadvantages of a full length draw bar? Mine will be approximately 13-15 feet long so at 20$ per foot it gets expensive.Overland Trailer Dec 2021.png

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Terms have different meanings to different people and places. Exactly what are you calling a draw bar? Are you speaking of something vehicle mounted or trailer mounted?

Enthusiast III

Nebraska
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
LaGrange
Service Branch
Go Army! Beat Navy!
Terms have different meanings to different people and places. Exactly what are you calling a draw bar? Are you speaking of something vehicle mounted or trailer mounted?
I added a picture to my original post for better clarification. Thanks!!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
2.5x.25 box is overkill. I would knock it back to 2x2x.25. and this would still be overkill. The frame would easily support 5-6k.

Enthusiast III

Nebraska
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
LaGrange
Service Branch
Go Army! Beat Navy!
2.5x.25 box is overkill. I would knock it back to 2x2x.25. and this would still be overkill. The frame would easily support 5-6k.
Yup, I decided to do a little tweaking on the design and materials. The 2x3 .125 for the main frame and crossmembers is already here so I'm using that, but I'm going to reduce the "drawbar" size down to 2x2 .125 and just have the coupler end and rear end be 2.5x2.5 .25 material in order to accept a receiver hitch. Thanks for the advice!