Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

Is there an efficient way to download large maps for offline use? I'm not worried about space, I have a 256gb card in my tablet with a 400gb card in the way. It just takes so long to figure out where my last map downloaded was, and stretch the new one to download. I'm running gaia on android, so I don't can't see my previous downloaded area. I'm trying to download as much of the state of Nevada as I can. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Ubiety

Dharma Dude

Rank 0

Traveler I

Gaia seems to slow down if you have too many downloads. I setup routes and waypoints on Gaiagps web site, sync them to the phone/tablet and then have the app download the regions around the routes. I keep each set of routes/waypoints in folders and then only sync the ones I need for my trip.

mmbirtcher

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Gaia is great, especially the paid version at $35 per year. Downloads are fast except Gaia Topo or maybe Gaia Roadmap. I use it exclusively. The amount of layers available that you can overlay on each other allows for very detailed mapping and routing. I checked out Hema US but it’s not even close IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Gaia seems to slow down if you have too many downloads. I setup routes and waypoints on Gaiagps web site, sync them to the phone/tablet and then have the app download the regions around the routes. I keep each set of routes/waypoints in folders and then only sync the ones I need for my trip.
Can you explain the step by step procedure for doing this? I do it locally on the ipad and it is tedious making those red squares, setting them to full resolution, etc.

James

Reactions: Jibs

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I ended up downloading the gaia GPS topo, as the tile size limit is 100,000 tiles instead of 10,000 which sped up the process of getting the state of Nevada available for offline use.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Is there an efficient way to download large maps for offline use? I'm not worried about space, I have a 256gb card in my tablet with a 400gb card in the way. It just takes so long to figure out where my last map downloaded was, and stretch the new one to download. I'm running gaia on android, so I don't can't see my previous downloaded area. I'm trying to download as much of the state of Nevada as I can. Thanks for any help.
What map layers do you run win in Gaia? I am thinking Gaia base map, MVUM and USGS topo. Are these redundant? Other layers I should download/use?

Thanks!

Tall Man

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Gambier, OH, USA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I’m shopping for a new iPad that will be used for Gaia maps.

Assuming I only download maps I need for a particular trip, is the 32 gig iPad big enough?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m shopping for a new iPad that will be used for Gaia maps.

Assuming I only download maps I need for a particular trip, is the 32 gig iPad big enough?
I’d go bigger but this is totally dependent upon how many maps and layers you want.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Have you looked at this?

Gaia will stich any areas you have downloaded together. So if you squares overlap it won't redownload the same tiles.

Reactions: Ubiety and Tall Man