Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello OB Members,
As some of you know, I won a spot on The 2019 FourWheeler Magazine Overland Adventure. 20 vehicles were chosen for this inaugural advent. I have a winch bumper now, not the best but it works. Rock Sliders, were high on my must have list to keep my Cherokee on the trails. Well, I had to write FourWheeler Magazine, and cancel my spot with the trip. Had to because, I spent $1700. on a new ARB bumper and sliders I thought I should have before the big trip of a lifetime. Now I cannot afford to go on the trip! My Cherokee would have been fine for the trip without the new parts. But now no money for the trip! Don’t do like I did! This great site, was set up to get everyone out there in their vehicles, no matter what you drive. You do not need lots of fancy stuff to get out there! You just need to get out there! Hope someone will read this and stop buying things, that are great to have, but instead use that same money to just go and have fun with what you have! Vance.

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
What's done is done. Go enjoy your new bumper and sliders to the fullest!
I am sure we have all made decisions that we regretted but you gotta make the most of it.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Hello OB Members,
As some of you know, I won a spot on The 2019 FourWheeler Magazine Overland Adventure. 20 vehicles were chosen for this inaugural advent. I have a winch bumper now, not the best but it works. Rock Sliders, were high on my must have list to keep my Cherokee on the trails. Well, I had to write FourWheeler Magazine, and cancel my spot with the trip. Had to because, I spent $1700. on a new ARB bumper and sliders I thought I should have before the big trip of a lifetime. Now I cannot afford to go on the trip! My Cherokee would have been fine for the trip without the new parts. But now no money for the trip! Don’t do like I did! This great site, was set up to get everyone out there in their vehicles, no matter what you drive. You do not need lots of fancy stuff to get out there! You just need to get out there! Hope someone will read this and stop buying things, that are great to have, but instead use that same money to just go and have fun with what you have! Vance.
Sage advice.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Hello OB Members,
I am so guilty of this. I've already cancelled 2 or 3 trips because I felt my vehicle was not prepared enough. In reality I should have gone anyway. I'm getting better though...

Craftman2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

I think because we're often immersed in this overlanding culture we enjoy, it's easy to get caught up in all the "what if" scenarios we see or read about, and buy too much too quickly.

I always think about it this way - back when our parents/grandparents were "overlanding" they generally just threw a tent, sleeping bag, and maybe a cooler into their vehicle and went somewhere. A little bit of intelligence (knowing your and your vehicle's capabilities) can keep you out of most trouble, and a few tools plus a can-do attitude can solve a lot of problems.

Still want a winch bumper, though. They're cool as hell.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I too get stuck there. My TJ was built for rocks. I cant go play without the proper armor. My Cruiser is built for exploring. I don't need sliders but I want them because they look cool and they make it easier to get in.
The winch meant I missed a couple of trips that would never have required one but...what if.... We get so caught up in out builds that we sacrifice actually using the vehicle for what we built it for.
Even though this seems true, they do look great properly outfitted.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Before missing out on a Four Wheeler Magazine event, I def would have hit up my credit card and then worry about it AFTER the event!
Play now...Pay later!

Reactions: mep1811

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Before missing out on a Four Wheeler Magazine event, I def would have hit up my credit card and then worry about it AFTER the event!
Play now...Pay later!
I would of done so to go if I could have! Medical bills took care of that option! Vance.