Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

So we can all agree that the right thing to do is use a bear proof container to store any food when in bear country.

But, what is the real, logistically possible answer. I have a 60 qt. on a slide in the bed of my Gladiator. I keep camp clean, keep the fridge clean, and its covered when not being accessed (SoftTopper). Technically not sufficient for bear country. But its not high on my list of worries.

I'd love to know the numbers. Has anyone experienced a bear going after their fridge? I used to work in the insurance industry, and I would see claims for bear damage regularly during camping season. But out of all of the ones I dealt with, I don't recall any of them being the bi-product of a properly stored/maintained cooler that Yogi and BooBoo came after. It was always the bag of food on the back seat, or open food stuffs in the trunk on a hot day. Doors and backseats are bear fodder in those cases.

I also spent much of my adultish youth camping in the sierra's, and admit to being less than concerned with bear safety back then, but in 2 decades, never had any issues with bears. Saw plenty, but they never went after our supplies. Cleanliness is the way.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have not seen food storage hanging in a tree since the Boy Scouts, that has been 30+ years ago. These days, I keep the food coolers and dry boxes in the truck shell, in my case a metal contractor shell. Definitely not in my tent with me. I do also keep bear spray, and a .357 within reach, as well as a full sized dog (coincidentally named Bear) in the tent with us. His nose and bark have kept two-legged weasels as well as other 4-legged critters away from camp, I’m sure. I also keep the trash closed up and in the truck topper to keep the aroma of food to a minimum. I got a chuckle when I saw those bags hanging off the spare tires being used for trash containers. Kind of figured any food trash in them would be an invite to Yogi and Booboo.

Reactions: Shahn and 9Mike2

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Out of curiosity, has anybody on here ever actually had bears (or other animals) get into their food or trash in the Sierras? We are always careful to clean up around camp to minimize smells, and we don't bring scented items like food or toothpaste into the tent. That said, we often leave the garbage bag just sitting out and in 20+ years of camping have never had an animal get into it. The only time I've been aware of bears being nearby was in an established campground with bear lockers, in that case a bear was dragging around a dumpster at 1am trying to get into it. There have been a couple cases where we had seen obvious signs of bear and hung our garbage between two trees, but the coolers and food were left in the trucks.

Please don't take this post as me recommending not to be careful about bears, they are definitely a concern. I'm just curious about first hand experiences with bears causing trouble.

Reactions: chartgpa and 9Mike2

ThorC

Rank 0

Contributor II

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Thor
Last Name
ClassC
I have a Dometic fridge in my rig but store the food in a Yeti with bear proof locks I got from bearbolts.com
Both are certified bearpoof by the outfit in Montana that tests that stuff.

I don't want a bear clawing into my RV so the food get's stored remotely. Better than a "surprise" at night. I'm too old to fight off a bear.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
^Not sure if that was meant as a joke but I think any sort of intentional long lasting chemical that can have negative impacts on multiple species well after you leave the area kinda goes against the spirit of overland bound as a community and actively contradicts the general ideas of “leave it better than you found it”/“Tread Lightly” / Leave No Trace

Reliable rated gear that has been tested/vetted by those committed solely to dealing with bear interaction and following the rules and regulations of the area your in is probably the best way to deal with the bears when we go into their habitats

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
^Not sure if that was meant as a joke but I think any sort of intentional long lasting chemical that can have negative impacts on multiple species well after you leave the area kinda goes against the spirit of overland bound as a community and actively contradicts the general ideas of “leave it better than you found it”/“Tread Lightly” / Leave No Trace

Reliable rated gear that has been tested/vetted by those committed solely to dealing with bear interaction and following the rules and regulations of the area your in is probably the best way to deal with the bears when we go into their habitats
Bears don't like the smell of ammonia. I'm not saying flood the area with ammonia but spray by the fridge where the trash is , the trash. No smells to attract bears. A guy who lives in Osvaldo, MT told me about this trick.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army

Bears don't like the smell of ammonia. I'm not saying flood the area with ammonia but spray by the fridge where the trash is , the trash. No smells to attract bears. A guy who lives in Osvaldo, MT told me about this trick.
I don’t doubt the efficacy or the source, I just think that one man’s experience in Montana may have a completely different impact than say, folks visiting Yosemite

I grew up being taught to mix diesel with corn for boar bait

Did it work?
Yes.

Is it a minor ecological disaster?
You bet.

Just because something works doesn’t mean we shouldn’t question if there is a safer/ less intrusive option to accomplish the same task

Last edited: