Mike
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DDY
Service Branch
First Responder Ret.
I'm curious if anyone has input and experience on the Dometic brand fridges. I am looking to get something soon but I have a mental block on spending over 1k for an ARB or Engel. I was turned on to the Dometic brand by a friend and owner of Overland Solar. He mentioned their experience and significant price difference.

Anything people can share woukd be greatly appreciated

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I know plenty of people with a dometic. If I didn't already have my arb I would own a dometic. I will eventually wnt to upgrade to a bigger unit and when I do it will likely be a dometic.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I don't about their portable units, but I had several larger ones in various toy haulers and travel trailers that worked very well.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I'm curious if anyone has input and experience on the Dometic brand fridges. I am looking to get something soon but I have a mental block on spending over 1k for an ARB or Engel. I was turned on to the Dometic brand by a friend and owner of Overland Solar. He mentioned their experience and significant price difference.

Anything people can share woukd be greatly appreciated

http://apac.dometic.com/Australia/MS-9708-Caravan-Campertrailer-Motorhome/PG-11262-Portable-FridgesFreezers

@NWoverlander

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

I bought the CFX65DZ last year and so far I love it. Wanted the dual zone so I can pack frozen meat without having to freeze the fruit and vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

For me I dont have one yet but all the people I know are running ARB units, and if I'm gonna run the one with two compartments it will be an ironman 65 I belive or the new ARB.

As for the ARB I'm waiting on the price because I know the dealer here is such a ripoff. So till then I'll be waiting.

The ironman here offers a 5 year, 3 years on compressor.

I'll post a link and a picture of it

65L+Hero_50.jpg

http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/fridges/12v-fridges/icecube-fridge-65l

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

NWoverlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Graham, WA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DDY
Service Branch
First Responder Ret.
Thanks for the feedback guys!!. I went ahead and ordered the CFX50US and cover. Adventure RV had a great price on it. I will give you an update on how it works when I break it in!!

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
After reading this, I've been considering getting one.

Conclusion:

With a street price of roughly $525-$550, the Dometic CFX-50 is a killer deal and not much more expensive than a fancy cooler. Although it is priced on the low end, it doesn’t perform as such. To be fair, it isn’t a top performer, but that too needs some context.

I know this is an old thread but why did this Fridge almost double in price in 2 years?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just did a review of multiple fridges including the CFX65DZ, 2017 Winter Fridge Shootout - 4X Overland Adventures
I watched a You-Tube comparison of a Engel, a Dometic, and a Snowmaster. The Snowmaster is on the high end cost wise, but it comes with the travel bag and the remote controller included. A ARB will cost about $200 dollars above the fridge cost to get those as options. It crushed the other 2 in cold operation, by being about 10 degrees or more COLDER than the next nearest fridge, over the same measured time frame. It's wattage usage was mid at first, then lower later in the test. Sorry, i don't remember the title.

These 3 were all fridge/ freezer dual combo units, and the test was on the fridge side.

Reactions: Vanhalo

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I have a Dometic. It runs great. One problem I had is for some reason my trucks cigarette lighter plug does not have enough current to keep the fridge running when the engine is off. This weekend I'm installing a new plug in the rear

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
I watched a You-Tube comparison of a Engel, a Dometic, and a Snowmaster. The Snowmaster is on the high end cost wise, but it comes with the travel bag and the remote controller included. A ARB will cost about $200 dollars above the fridge cost to get those as options. It crushed the other 2 in cold operation, by being about 10 degrees or more COLDER than the next nearest fridge, over the same measured time frame. It's wattage usage was mid at first, then lower later in the test. Sorry, i don't remember the title.

These 3 were all fridge/ freezer dual combo units, and the test was on the fridge side.
Probably because the cooling coils go all the way to the top on the SnoMaster and the insulation is thicker.
Still I had trouble deciding between the ARB 50 and the SnoMaster.
I priced the ARB about the same as a SnoMaster when you consider the new model (Series 2) comes with bluetooth.

Waiting on the LP66/PLB40 to arrive so I can run some tests in fridge only mode.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Probably because the cooling coils go all the way to the top on the SnoMaster and the insulation is thicker.
Still I had trouble deciding between the ARB 50 and the SnoMaster.
I priced the ARB about the same as a SnoMaster when you consider the new model (Series 2) comes with bluetooth.

Waiting on the LP66/PLB40 to arrive so I can run some tests in fridge only mode.
So everything else being equal (tongue in cheek) the bigger/longer cooling coils and thicker insulation should put the snowmaster above the next competitor.

For us that live in the desert, where higher heat temps are encountered, the snowmaster makes better sense. That of course is if money is not the final determination. Heat equals power consumption, and has to be considered also if your battery system is marginal.

Reactions: Vanhalo