Dometic CFX50W Refrigerator/Freezer 4 Months OLD And Does Not Cool

• HTML tutorial

Trailguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Colinas
Member #

I purchased a Dometic CFX50W refrigerator/freezer January 29, 2019. I have used the cooler once over two days while in Big Bend. I planned to use it again this past weekend but ran into trouble. I loaded drinks, yogurt, meats, and cheese for my weekend trip Friday morning. I then paired the Dometic App on my iPhone with the CFX50W and set the temp at 34 degrees fahrenheit. The actual temp started out at 64 degrees since all of the items I placed into the fridge came from my home refrigerator. After about 3 hours I checked the App on my phone to insure the fridge temp had reached my setting of 34 deg. I was puzzled to see the fridge temp had actually gone up a couple of degrees. I went out to the fridge to double check the temp reading on the fridge itself and confirmed the temp was not going down. After troubleshooting the problem per the Dometic manual, I determined the fridge was in fact on, set to the right temp and even tried another dedicated 12 volt outlet in my truck to insure power was consistent to the fridge. I noticed the amber power light was on but when the unit compressor turned on the fan/compressor only runs for 2-3 seconds then turns off. It repeats this cycle about every 3-4 minutes resulting in a fridge that does not cool down.

I called the Dometic Support phone number to further diagnose the problem with the hopes of a fix. After more than 30 minutes on hold, I spoke with Cody in Support. She had me go through the same process as described in the manual and then told me she believed the control board had failed. She also said they have been having a number of similar problems with the model I have. She gave me the names of 2 local Dometic repair companies in the Dallas area and told me to contact them for scheduling a circuit board replacement. However, both companies I called told me they do not service the cooler. I had to call Dometic back and hold for another 30 minutes. I happed to get Cody again and explained the 2 service companies she referred me to did not service the fridge. She was puzzled because she said "they were listed on her pul down menu as authorized service centers" She then gave me the name of another service center located 45 minutes away in Denton Texas....not convenient!

I literally spent over 4 hours before my trip trying in vain to get the fridge to work. I purchased the fridge at REI and hope they will get my problem resolved.

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine with a Dometic portable fridge/freezer and have any advice? I can't find a local Dometic Rep for advice and simply want a reliable fridge?

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I purchased a Dometic CFX50W refrigerator/freezer January 29, 2019. I have used the cooler once over two days while in Big Bend. I planned to use it again this past weekend but ran into trouble. I loaded drinks, yogurt, meats, and cheese for my weekend trip Friday morning. I then paired the Dometic App on my iPhone with the CFX50W and set the temp at 34 degrees fahrenheit. The actual temp started out at 64 degrees since all of the items I placed into the fridge came from my home refrigerator. After about 3 hours I checked the App on my phone to insure the fridge temp had reached my setting of 34 deg. I was puzzled to see the fridge temp had actually gone up a couple of degrees. I went out to the fridge to double check the temp reading on the fridge itself and confirmed the temp was not going down. After troubleshooting the problem per the Dometic manual, I determined the fridge was in fact on, set to the right temp and even tried another dedicated 12 volt outlet in my truck to insure power was consistent to the fridge. I noticed the amber power light was on but when the unit compressor turned on the fan/compressor only runs for 2-3 seconds then turns off. It repeats this cycle about every 3-4 minutes resulting in a fridge that does not cool down.

I called the Dometic Support phone number to further diagnose the problem with the hopes of a fix. After more than 30 minutes on hold, I spoke with Cody in Support. She had me go through the same process as described in the manual and then told me she believed the control board had failed. She also said they have been having a number of similar problems with the model I have. She gave me the names of 2 local Dometic repair companies in the Dallas area and told me to contact them for scheduling a circuit board replacement. However, both companies I called told me they do not service the cooler. I had to call Dometic back and hold for another 30 minutes. I happed to get Cody again and explained the 2 service companies she referred me to did not service the fridge. She was puzzled because she said "they were listed on her pul down menu as authorized service centers" She then gave me the name of another service center located 45 minutes away in Denton Texas....not convenient!

I literally spent over 4 hours before my trip trying in vain to get the fridge to work. I purchased the fridge at REI and hope they will get my problem resolved.

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine with a Dometic portable fridge/freezer and have any advice? I can't find a local Dometic Rep for advice and simply want a reliable fridge?
That sucks man. I bought that same fridge through Amazon back in October 2018 and mine has been running like a champ ever since. Hopefully you get it resolved and hopefully mine doesn't crap out too. Can't dometic send you out a replacement board? Not sure how handy you are but maybe it's not too hard to replace? In the grand scheme of things if I had to drive 45 minutes to get it fixed then I guess that's what I would. Good luck sir.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My first fridge also failed after 2 weeks or so. I was able to get a new one via exchange at a local RV store. I have had no issues since. It was a bit of a drive but oh well.... I was glad to get a new fridge vs someone opening up my defective one in an attempt to fix.

Trailguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Colinas
Member #

Update, shortly after I posted the article, a Dometic customer service rep emailed me needing pics of the cooler including a pic of the data sticker located on the inside of the lid. He also wanted my address to ship a box to return my cooler to them. Jon Rowe with Dometic Retail Customer Service noted in his email to me that "I need an address where the defective cooler can be picked up/the new one can be shipped to".

I'm crossing my fingers it's a quick process.

Trailguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Colinas
Member #

Update, Dometic sent me a new cooler and had UPS pick up my defective one. The new cooler has a couple of minor cosmetic changes and hopefully a new upgraded circuit board. Thanks Dometic Customer Support, Cody, and Jon Rowe, for taking care of your customer!

Trailguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Colinas
Member #

My first fridge also failed after 2 weeks or so. I was able to get a new one via exchange at a local RV store. I have had no issues since. It was a bit of a drive but oh well.... I was glad to get a new fridge vs someone opening up my defective one in an attempt to fix.
Dometic sent me a new fridge and had UPS pick up my 3 month old one. Did your new fridge come with dark gray corner plastic protectors and side handles? My defective unit had light gray handles and corner protectors.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Dometic sent me a new fridge and had UPS pick up my 3 month old one. Did your new fridge come with dark gray corner plastic protectors and side handles? My defective unit had light gray handles and corner protectors.
My corners and handles are dark gray. My CFX50W is about 8 months old.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I don't remember. I have a cover on mine... :) but the replacement has been fine.

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

In My area (Utah) Home Depot sell the Dometic units and they tell me any issues that they will have replacement next business Day and no shipping cost if you pick up at local Home Depot.