Launch Member

Contributor III

Anaheim, CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Bacani
Member #

Hello everyone! I was curious to know if anyone has had an issue with their 12V cigarette lighter wire going out with their fridge? While driving to camp I noticed my wire getting hot. I ended up switching it to the AC wire. This issue was happening on my last trip as well. The AC side however works great with my jackery. My only worry is that the AC side will drain my jackery. How can I diagnose this problem other than replacing the 12V cable?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The problem is that cigarette lighter adapters don’t make a very good contact on both the ground and power connection points. It’s best to make a hard connection with either power poles or directly to the battery.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello everyone! I was curious to know if anyone has had an issue with their 12V cigarette lighter wire going out with their fridge? While driving to camp I noticed my wire getting hot. I ended up switching it to the AC wire. This issue was happening on my last trip as well. The AC side however works great with my jackery. My only worry is that the AC side will drain my jackery. How can I diagnose this problem other than replacing the 12V cable?
I had a similar issue with my 12v cable, it suddenly went out. I bought a 12v plug from blue sea and replaced it. Problem fixed.
in alternative you can just buy a brand you 12v cable.

baacani

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Anaheim, CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Bacani
Member #

I had a similar issue with my 12v cable, it suddenly went out. I bought a 12v plug from blue sea and replaced it. Problem fixed.
in alternative you can just buy a brand you 12v cable.
Do you mind sending me the link to the replacement plug from blue seas? I have the blue sea 4366 accessory panel on the back panel of my truck.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Do you mind sending me the link to the replacement plug from blue seas? I have the blue sea 4366 accessory panel on the back panel of my truck.
See above link! I also have the same accessory panel, perfect fit.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

I just had a problem this week with my 12v plug in my Wrangler. Couldn't get it to make good contact and voltage was too low. Fridge was on but not cooling.
In my Gladiator I remove the end of the Dometic cigarette plug and it exposes a two prong plug. I purchased the male half of that plug type and ran 12v to it. MUCH better connection.