First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Hi All,
Do we have many Overlanders who use their rigs to help their communities?
I'm a Trustee and Ops Team member for a local 4x4 Response group that uses our vehicles to help the emergency services in bad weather or times of major incident.

Last Week was one of our biggest yearly exercises with over 3,100 people taking part from all around the world in an Internationally coordinated disaster exercise and we had the honour of being in the thick of it. Getting to use our vehicles to transport Government Agencies, UN officials, Emergency crew and even sometimes patients in and out of inaccessible areas, as well as things like using winches and other equipment to help with casualty recovery and route clearing etc.
3 days of very little sleep but great to be part of.
Really so much fun to be at and always a pleasure to find other ways to use the rigs we build to give our time freely and help our communities.
If you have the chance to be part of something like this wherever you are in the world please consider it.

Here's some pics for those that are interested.
SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-61.jpg SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-109.jpg SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-90.jpg SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-278.jpg 33100549_337599213433770_3416545268768702464_o.jpg 32841522_336138040246554_6161373951843893248_o.jpg 32857572_336137906913234_7699038089955508224_o.jpg 33079992_336137823579909_4975519372450725888_n.jpg SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-20.jpg SIMEX 2018 - Day 2-77.jpg

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Thats pretty awesome, pretty amazing that youre willing to volunteer for something like that. I havent been able to find a group similar to this near me but I have heard about a group called Overland First Responders which is more catered towards responding to stuck or trapped vehicles on the trail or anyone requiring first aid.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
That’s awesome @Scarab!

I’m on the Govoner’s 4x4 response team in my home state as well as my counties SAR team. I also do disaster response with Team Rubicon but I don’t use my POV for that.

Keep up the great work!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The dude with the AK needs to get his finger off the trigger, just sayin...

Seriously though, Im very involved with a local conservation group. Every month I got out and gather data and samples to record and monitor water quality on our impaired water ways. Nothing challenging driving wise, but you couldnt do it in a Honda civic...

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

The dude with the AK needs to get his finger off the trigger, just sayin...
FOR REAL. No need to turn this into a guns convo, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Muzzle and trigger discipline are the MOST BASIC of gun safety rules. Someone breaking those rules unawares should not be carrying a weapon in an environment like that. Not because they're incapable, but because its a sign of improper, incomplete training, that is putting those around that individual in danger. As some like to say, keep your booger picker off that bang switch.

back to the topic at hand though, what organization is this through? You mentioned it was an international exercise. Would be interested if something like that happens in the US as well. I've always wanted to get involved in something like this or SAR type volunteer services. Couldn't happen now, I've got a 7 month old baby and an excessively demanding job. But its something I really want to get involved in over the next 5-10 years.

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

I've never done anything that intense or large scale but i keep a well stocked trauma kit, fire suppression gear, and tow / recovery gear in my car at all times. I always stop to see if people need help and have a few medical / first aid stops under my belt now. it's amazing how few people stop to help others. so far, every time i have towed someone off the road or out of harm's way a jeeper pulls up and starts to heckle me. i know it's due to my subaru and them being in a jeep but i will always stop to help anyone that needs it.

i belong to my local CERT group and we get dispatched for things like wildfire support, sandbagging, SAR tasks, etc. as often as needed. CERT is a great way for those in the US to be a part of their community and get pretty solid and free training in first aid, ICS, extrication, fire suppression, and a pile of other useful skills.

Thanks to all those responders and regular people that have enough heart to stop and help. we need more of you.

Reactions: Roam Bearded