Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
Ok after doing some searches and coming up empty (if there is a thread already please post link) After looking through the Camp Hounds photo thread my question is what is everyone's way of getting there dogs in a RTT? I have a 85lbs Doberman that hates being picked up so picking him up is getting old. Here is a pic of my camp houndIMG_1475.JPG

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Based on your profile picture, your RTT is rack mounted on rack in a truck 6+ feet off the ground. With my RTT trailer mounted, I only have to get my dogs (ranging from 60 lb Belgian Malinois to 110 lb Ridgeback) up about 4 ft of ladder. By placing my Yeti cooler (very stout) at the base of the ladder, they are able to hop on top of the cooler get into the tent with not too much effort. It took a little coaxing at first, but once they got it it was easy. They would much rather sleep in the tent then on the ground.

Get creative with your gear and you might throw a length of plywood that fits in the bed of the truck (1' x 5' perhaps) that you can use to build a modified ramp up a portion of the ladder high enough that the dog can get into the tent with not too much additional effort.

Last edited:

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Ok after doing some searches and coming up empty (if there is a thread already please post link) After looking through the Camp Hounds photo thread my question is what is everyone's way of getting there dogs in a RTT? I have a 85lbs Doberman that hates being picked up so picking him up is getting old. Here is a pic of my camp houndView attachment 9523
I got a ramp that's just over 7 feet long, I attached a couple of long bolts at the very top. These rest on the top ladder rung. The base of the ramp sits on a drywall step that I bring with me. About the same height as a cooler. It is much more stable, and I use it for setup and tear down. Most important it makes the angle of the ramp doable for my dogs. I have an eight year old female German Shephard and a four year old long coated male German Shepherd. The ramp slides into inself making it less than four feet long.

Attachments

Reactions: murps and Ingle939

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Depends on the size of the dog. You can't carry him up there. If you have an RTT, get an annex or changing room beneath it where the dog can sleep.

I have a 142+ lb Great Pyrenees, as much as I love would for him to be up there with me, it is physically impossible. He sleeps in the car.

Attachments

Reactions: Ingle939

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have two dogs (one being a 75 pound Catahouligan) and I use a long carpet runner to get them in and out. I place it on the hood, and up the windshield . I lift them on to the hood and they simply walk up the carpet runner and into an open window in the RTT. They exit the RTT the same way. Works slicker than...well....doggie doodoo.....

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I feel your struggle. My boxer is only 60 lbs but I still have to carry her up and down the ladder. It helps that I'm tall but it's still an adventure each time.

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
I've gotten mine to try climbing the ladder with me picking him up and it's been a lot easier for getting him out I started taking a 6' table and laying it against the top of my bed of my truck on the opposite side of the ladders and he will jump out the window and slide down the table

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Thank you guys for all the ideas , I carried up my 75 lb cattle dog the first time , I think the ladder was the one that was unhappy. I then tried the runner on the hood and he goes up and down no problem! Thanks guys! 20180916_123646.jpeg

Reactions: trikebubble