Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

First off... Just joined, but this is going to be my favorite section. I've always got a diy project going, and I'm always interested in other diy projects. So on with the show.

I've got 3 weekends to build a dog platform in the place of the rear seats in my 09 Tacoma double cab. Most everyone uses wood, but that's not my medium of choice. I'm a fabricator/welder/wannabe machinist by trade, so I'm going with aluminum to keep things lighter than what the seats were.

The platform itself will be built from what can best be described as aluminum cardboard, framed with aluminum channel. The support frame will be 1"x 1" 1/8th wall aluminum square tube. I'm going to put access doors in to utilize some storage space below the deck. Not sure of the positioning of the access doors, but I'm thinking the support frame might dictate that somewhat.

I just started it last night, so there isn't a ton going on, but it will move quickly. (I hope)

You'll also notice the hinged aluminum thing covering the driver side storage. My PDU for accessory powered items is in there That's a related project that will probably be included here a bit. Both of those bins will be covered the same way, and softened up with some high dollar yacht flooring for covering/padding. I love this stuff, and I have a ton of it. You'll be seeing it a lot.

Jim

Attachments

Reactions: bmwguru

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Only slightly higher than pictured. We've got one normal short heeler, and what's known as a Texas heeler, and she's tall... So, I've gotta keep it short. At the same time, I'm excited about having under platform storage.

I do a lot of dog related projects. They're our fur kids and their comfort is as important as ours.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

First off... Just joined, but this is going to be my favorite section. I've always got a diy project going, and I'm always interested in other diy projects. So on with the show.

I've got 3 weekends to build a dog platform in the place of the rear seats in my 09 Tacoma double cab. Most everyone uses wood, but that's not my medium of choice. I'm a fabricator/welder/wannabe machinist by trade, so I'm going with aluminum to keep things lighter than what the seats were.

The platform itself will be built from what can best be described as aluminum cardboard, framed with aluminum channel. The support frame will be 1"x 1" 1/8th wall aluminum square tube. I'm going to put access doors in to utilize some storage space below the deck. Not sure of the positioning of the access doors, but I'm thinking the support frame might dictate that somewhat.

I just started it last night, so there isn't a ton going on, but it will move quickly. (I hope)

You'll also notice the hinged aluminum thing covering the driver side storage. My PDU for accessory powered items is in there That's a related project that will probably be included here a bit. Both of those bins will be covered the same way, and softened up with some high dollar yacht flooring for covering/padding. I love this stuff, and I have a ton of it. You'll be seeing it a lot.

Jim
Where did you get the aluminum cardboard? I made some similar stuff when I was in school but is used epoxy and a vacuum clamping system. That's how commercial airline cabin floors are or were made.

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Where did you get the aluminum cardboard? I made some similar stuff when I was in school but is used epoxy and a vacuum clamping system. That's how commercial airline cabin floors are or were made.

I believe it may have come from McMaster Carr, but there are other sources out there. This particular piece was purchased by our engineering team at work, but they didn't end up using it for anything. It bounced around the shop for almost 3 years and finally was heading to the scrapyard when I grabbed it. It's surprisingly reasonably priced.

Some progress today. Got the framing rough fitted and cut to size overall. Not sure if I'm going to use the same method for the doors or not. Chanel trim will be bonded in place, support frame welded, and the two bonded together with 3M VHB.

Attachments

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Usually I get something done during the week, but it's been busy at work. I did manage to knock out my PDU, install a always on USB port, and mount a blue sea switch panel in my center console. Little things, but progress.

Attachments

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I believe it may have come from McMaster Carr, but there are other sources out there. This particular piece was purchased by our engineering team at work, but they didn't end up using it for anything. It bounced around the shop for almost 3 years and finally was heading to the scrapyard when I grabbed it. It's surprisingly reasonably priced.

Some progress today. Got the framing rough fitted and cut to size overall. Not sure if I'm going to use the same method for the doors or not. Chanel trim will be bonded in place, support frame welded, and the two bonded together with 3M VHB.

This is really neat, and I’ve never heard of the aluminum ‘cardboard’ type stuff. Do you happen to know the trade name of the aluminum sheet? And how does it’s strength/weight compare to regular AL sheet? I’m certain it’s stronger, but to me it’s a math question. If it weights twice as much for twice the strength, then it makes sense in some applications but not others. Whereas if it weighs twice as much for 5x the strength, that’s got a ton of uses on my own build!

Really neat idea for the dogs. We fold our rear seat down and that creates a platform that is flat, and then we have a weatherproof bed that fits in that space so both dogs can lie down. When we get into camp, the weatherproof dog bed serves as their ‘around camp’ place, and in a pinch, we’ve used it as a shower platform when the ground was very muddy. A quick wipe with a towel and the dogs had their bed back though!

Never mind, I think I found the aluminum sheet:

It is not unreasonable for what it is, and could be a very useful product for things like shelves and drawers where high strength/low weight is critical.

Last edited:

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Not sure if anyone on here is aware of what VHB from 3M is, but I'm here to preach it's awesomeness. We use it at work and like all the things at work that we use, that works well... I use it at home too. My 3M rep once told me that it was holding all the solar panels on to the outside of their building. I have no reason to doubt him. With proper prep and the primer that goes with it, it's crazy strong.

Not a lot of work on the dog platform until today. I've been building an exhaust for a friend's 68 Volvo Amazon wagon. Got that out of the garage, and back on it.

Attachments

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Gotta get my electrical somewhat squared away before I can put the platform in for our trip next week. There will be things not finished, but mostly cosmetic stuff.

Attachments