Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
I was wondering do you think your dog loves the bumpy travel off-road. I have the feeling that our golden Retriever enjoys the camp hang around but isn’t the biggest fan of the driving itself.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have a very old German Shepard and she absolutely loves off road travel. We don't know her history as she is a rescue, but she has bad hip dysplasia and does not walk much, but when we start packing gear into the Jeep she gets so excited, as soon as we hit the trail her head is sticking out the window for as long as she can. loves to try and bite the passing brush when it gets close to the rig. Never gets carsick. We have removed the 60 percent side of the rear seat and built a carpeted platform for her to ride on similar to a K9 police vehicle. prevent her from being tossed on the floor when we hit the steep and rocky trails.20210812_180646.jpgIMGP1412.JPG

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Your dog can come along on the trip. That's super cool! Then it is important to keep a few things in mind:
  • Please remember that even comparatively light objects become dangerous projectiles in the event of an impact, such as an accident. The two factors are the mass of the object and the acceleration. An unsecured large dog in a car can easily develop a weight force of one ton (about 30 times its own weight) from a comparatively low speed of about 50 Km/h or 30 miles/h in a head-on collision. These are impressive figures!
  • By the way, this varies from country to country, but in Germany, for example, the dog is considered a load and so the regulations for correct load securing also apply to it. If the dog is unsecured in the vehicle, this can lead to fines. In other European countries there are similar regulations, but the fines are usually much higher.
  • In addition, as already mentioned in the contributions here, the pet should of course feel comfortable on tour and animal welfare regulations must be observed. Here, for example, it is regulated in the Animal Welfare Dog Act that the carer must "ensure sufficient fresh air and appropriate air temperatures" "if a dog is left in a vehicle without supervision".
There are numerous solutions - some of them vehicle-specific - for taking a dog with you securely in the vehicle. Separation grids, dog crates, leash systems and much more. You can considering all this at the best with the built of your rig.

Wish you many beautiful tours with your pet.

Bjoern

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
For the most part my dog is pretty good once he is settled in the car, if I get to a patch of trail that is rough I think he can pick up on my anxiety as he will start to whine… Gotta love our pooches..
314CB566-AE37-4D9D-AE9D-85D9EFF4C589.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
My Flat Coat Retriever does not like off road travel or camping. After about three days she becomes a wreck. I think it’s because at night she hears all the sounds and then can sleep while bouncing around on the road. She does better if we stay someplace a few days. After a week out, when we get home she sleeps for a day. So she stays home now.

Attachments

Reactions: Disco Patrol

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

My Flat Coat Retriever does not like off road travel or camping. After about three days she becomes a wreck. I think it’s because at night she hears all the sounds and then can sleep while bouncing around on the road. She does better if we stay someplace a few days. After a week out, when we get home she sleeps for a day. So she stays home now.
We use a rechargeable battery powered fan to generate white noise.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
She loves getting out road tripping and camping. She even has her own safe space nest. Her spot started as a mat on the floor where I’d taken part of the seat out for a trip and never replaced it. Then the platform. As she grew more comfortable, she wanted breezes. I didn’t want her leaping after squirrels, so the next piece came home. Also cop car related.

The one thing she does really enjoy is day after day of washboard roads. I don’t either. It’s a blessing for both of us when those are done.

3A6DCD0A-560A-494E-80AE-8052CC606DAF.jpegEDC37415-32C0-47DF-AFF0-A14E52C724E9.jpeg940943C1-F2CE-4A41-B0E1-B28D26EC736B.jpeg19A5919A-E72F-4433-A82C-67F1E5A7A175.jpeg749A549E-2155-4146-983D-589DC2D79732.jpeg

Disco Patrol

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oneida, NY
First Name
David
Last Name
Cruz
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
She loves getting out road tripping and camping. She even has her own safe space nest. Her spot started as a mat on the floor where I’d taken part of the seat out for a trip and never replaced it. Then the platform. As she grew more comfortable, she wanted breezes. I didn’t want her leaping after squirrels, so the next piece came home. Also cop car related.

The one thing she does really enjoy is day after day of washboard roads. I don’t either. It’s a blessing for both of us when those are done.

View attachment 219950View attachment 219951View attachment 219952View attachment 219953View attachment 219954
Our GSDs never enjoyed long distance driving and would get car sick. We continued to take them with us because they needed to experience the drive and we would always prep with extra baggies for anything that came "back up". We limited their food intake the night prior and the morning of any trip to help reduce the mess during the drive. After continued training throughout the year, they eventually got used to driving and would get excited to get in the Jeep. It just took time for us.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Our GSDs never enjoyed long distance driving and would get car sick. We continued to take them with us because they needed to experience the drive and we would always prep with extra baggies for anything that came "back up". We limited their food intake the night prior and the morning of any trip to help reduce the mess during the drive. After continued training throughout the year, they eventually got used to driving and would get excited to get in the Jeep. It just took time for us.
The only time she ever got sick was after getting a Pupachino at Starbucks. If she gets one of those now, it’s only at the end of a drive. She also very much prefers riding in thecopcar. I keep the rear seat folded up and a bed in the floor at the left rear position, but the whole rear end is wide open. I can hear her slide at times back there.

I found another of her nest. The locker helps the enclose it. The wide open theothertwin.

8C15E575-DBC8-45B2-A9D7-CF1135B4C95A.jpeg887476F1-9E90-421B-B542-D0EE0C009AB3.jpeg88CB43CA-7276-4B8D-9754-D531CA88484D.jpeg