First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Off-Highway Vehicles | Utah Division of Outdoor Recreation
This is definitely a step in the right direction in roping in the abuse that these types of vehicles render on the trails. The new law does not affect us as overlanders as long as we are using registered street legal vehicles. This type of compromise is a lot better than simply closing down all the trails. Just my humble opinion based upon 50 years of observation.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I am 100% in favor of training, even for road going rigs. I hold that a vast majority of land abuse is simple ignorance and education will solve a lot of that.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
They should include minivans and rvs in this mandatory training
Been down too many trails in Manti-La Sal that were blocked by an rv parking where they got stuck mid trail

Reactions: MazeVX

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would not say that it doesn't affect us.

The hope is that it will affect us in a positive fashion.

I also expect that this requirement will eventually be expanded to include all vehicles (OHV and street registered) that wish to go on Utah's trails. The popularity of the trails plus the growing population of users is going to force issue.

Reactions: EBasil

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
They should include minivans and rvs in this mandatory training
Been down too many trails in Manti-La Sal that were blocked by an rv parking where they got stuck mid trail
Honestly most trails should be restricted to vehicles with power to all wheels (weather that be AWD or 4WD) and wheelbase limited, with a separate length for trailers. I think it is beyond stupid to take an RV off the pavement. Honestly even the earth roamers I look at with doubt...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would not say that it doesn't affect us.

The hope is that it will affect us in a positive fashion.

I also expect that this requirement will eventually be expanded to include all vehicles (OHV and street registered) that wish to go on Utah's trails. The popularity of the trails plus the growing population of users is going to force issue.
Yes, there is that. After bearing witness to the degradation of the trails over the past 15 years caused by ill informed folks it will benefit us.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Yeah, it's a fine idea and it should be extended to street legal vehicles on trails, too. The course was easy -- far simpler than the Leave No Trace everyone here has easily completed-- and is no imposition. Now, the tracking chip it embedded in my molar may be of some concern to the conspiracy types but, I for one, Love Big Brother. :innocent:

S

SoCoRuss

They also created a new state office for this and whats the purpose of all govt offices? To become larger and get more personnel and money. This will be expanded and will get expensive until no one can afford it anymore. Which is the goal of leftist. Normies dont get to have fun anymore. We peons MUST give everything we have to big brother.
Yes, training is a good thing normally but most people do bad things just because they want to and in today's FUSA, if you want something you MUST be allowed to do it.
But no one seems to understand you CANT regulate stupidity. I see just as much bad behavior from people running Jeeps as I do with OHV's. But I do think they are making the OHV's too big and too powerful with bigger and faster engines every year. I'm a OHVer and have several but there has to be a limit to size of machines and power on trails. Unless there is a requirement for a intelligence test before you can buy one:laughing:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My bikes are plated. So don't care, braaap city. Trail heads should have an off road section right at the beginning, to keep RV's and Prius's out. IE: A simple set of obstacles that demonstrates what you'll find on that trail.

Those in communist states, really shouldn't be complaining about a simple law and increased gov't in a free state.

• Haha

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Even though I have no desire to operate an OHV in Utah, I took the course simply to try and understand what issues the state is attempting to fix. The course was really focused on four key items:
  • Respect other users of the trail
  • Stay the trail
  • Pack it in - Pack it out
  • Don't drive your UTV like an @$$
The course was elementary grade. In fact, a kindergartener would be able to ace this. The concepts are simple, yet the State of Utah feels it is necessary to make all OHV users at minimum see this information once. The fact the state has felt this educational course is even necessary is a sign that a lot of folks show absolutely no respect towards public lands.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
They also created a new state office for this and whats the purpose of all govt offices? To become larger and get more personnel and money. This will be expanded and will get expensive until no one can afford it anymore. Which is the goal of leftist. Normies dont get to have fun anymore. We peons MUST give everything we have to big brother.
Yes, training is a good thing normally but most people do bad things just because they want to and in today's FUSA, if you want something you MUST be allowed to do it.
But no one seems to understand you CANT regulate stupidity. I see just as much bad behavior from people running Jeeps as I do with OHV's. But I do think they are making the OHV's too big and too powerful with bigger and faster engines every year. I'm a OHVer and have several but there has to be a limit to size of machines and power on trails. Unless there is a requirement for a intelligence test before you can buy one:laughing:
Interesting, as these new regs & laws are coming from one of the most staunchly conservative states in the country which is the direct opposite of the lefties. It is simply a very conservative response to a problem that is out of control. A leftie doesn’t want any government intervention at all. However, a conservation zealot would solve the problem by closing everything down. I suggest you read a bit of Edward Abbey to understand what I’m not very good at writing. He was once labeled a leftie and he was a conservation zealot, lefties do not trust government at all, not one bit.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Freedom:
1: the quality or state of being free: such as
a: the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action
b: liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another : INDEPENDENCE
c: the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous

Nope, none of that... how about

Liberty:
1: the quality or state of being free:
a: the power to do as one pleases
b: freedom from physical restraint
c: freedom from arbitrary or despotic control
d: the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges
e: the power of choice

None of that either, unless you consider everything as a privilege but since privileges are granted that would make everyone beholden (a slave) to the system that defines those privileges.

Golly gee Beav, does that mean we've been championing something that doesn't even exist? Well Wally, as the late Mr. Carlin said "It’s called the American Dream—because you have to be asleep to believe it"

S

SoCoRuss

Utah hasn't been a staunchly conservative state for a while. Since It staunchly elects RINO's ( Romney, really?) now and they think Ranked voting is a good thing. SLC and the Wasatch front control Utah now.
As for writers like Abby, alot has changed in the past few decades. Lefty's now love BIG govt and controlling our lives from conception to well past death. Republicans less so and Conservatives even less so. But both so called major parties only differ in how fast we get to the Globalist utopia, not the fact both party's REALLY want it to enrich them and their families, screw the FUSA!!!.

I understand people that were considered liberals decades ago would be considered conservatives now. A LONGGGG time ago I was considered a liberal but now I'm a far right Nut job??? But my views haven't changed????

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this to politics, that's why I overland to get away from so called civilization and the fools in it.......

Again My apologies, I'm out.

Reactions: Offroadnutz

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would debate the many misconceptions in your statement, I’ll focus on one. Controlling our lives. I only know that since my birth, the government has had less and less to do with my personal life and my freedoms. If anything my rights & freedoms have been expanded. However, very recently some of my rights were taken away by a couple of Supreme Court rulings. We do agree, that old school lefties, ( me ) and new school righties have some things in common. However, we don’t trust our government for different reasons. When it comes to Korea, Vietnam, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Iran, Iraq, ( the Cold War) & last but not least, China, time and again we’ve been lied to for 60 years. Is Utah as staunchly conservative as Alabama or Mississippi? Thank goodness no, lest my federal tax dollars would be supporting Utah as well. You mentioned after death. The death tax? Hey, wealthy people pay almost zero taxes their entire lives, zero. They do this by constantly borrowing money from their tax sheltered investments. Loans are not considered income, thereby not taxable. The loans are written in such a way ( beyond me) that they do not come due until the death of the borrower. Once I understood how this all works, I’m all for a heavy federal estate tax after death for the ultra wealthy. (12.5 million or more.) finally, it is nice to talk about this stuff without being disrespectful. On one side we have LINOs and on the other RINOs. Which, cmon, are horrible terms that mean nothing, we are all just people, with a whole lot more in common than some are willing to admit.

S

SoCoRuss

As I said I didn't plan on this getting as political as it has. As for my alleged misconceptions, thats your opinion only and everyone has them and is entitled to have them.. So I wont waste my time on this anymore. Because I can see there is no way we will ever agree on main topics so, my part of this is over. Just let it go like I am.

I bid you adieu.

Reactions: MOAK

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

... yet the State of Utah feels it is necessary to make all OHV users at minimum see this information once. The fact the state has felt this educational course is even necessary is a sign that a lot of folks show absolutely no respect towards public lands.
The state, or the private businesses who depend on the local attractions being in good shape and pleasant places to visit, have probably conducted market research that shows that the folks who visit that area as hikers /campers/non-abusive 4 wheelers are majorly turned off by OHV yahooism and are looking at options to spend their recreation money in another state.

Reactions: EBasil and MOAK

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Is Utah as staunchly conservative as Alabama or Mississippi?
Roll Tide to that!! Gonna be hard for me to move outa bama. Even love our meemaw govna…

I’ve noticed our national forests seem more open than many other states. I know those are federal. However, there must be some local input. Of course, they probably aren’t near as popular as the restrictive states like NC. Some of those don’t even allow dispersed camping.

Reactions: LanceK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Roll Tide to that!! Gonna be hard for me to move outa bama. Even love our meemaw govna…

I’ve noticed our national forests seem more open than many other states. I know those are federal. However, there must be some local input. Of course, they probably aren’t near as popular as the restrictive states like NC. Some of those don’t even allow dispersed camping.
True, not much going on the east side of the Appalachias Maine maybe, Pa used to be, but thanks to expo that’s been popularized. Now instead of seeing 3 or 4 other vehicles every couple of days, there are hoards of 6-7-8.. Permits are now required, the Subaru crowd ruined it for everyone.