Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, this thread and every thread like it in the past really pings on the definition of overlanding. i guess definitions ARE very important...when i was in the navy, we quit having "accidents" and went to having "unplanned events". if someone broke a piece of gear on "accident", they got in trouble for being careless. if they broke the same piece of gear during an "unplanned event", they didnt get in trouble.

we REALLY need government help here...maybe the Dept of Transportation can help by defining overlanding and hopefully give us some rules and laws to follow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

yeah, this thread and every thread like it in the past really pings on the definition of overlanding. i guess definitions ARE very important...when i was in the navy, we quit having "accidents" and went to having "unplanned events". if someone broke a piece of gear on "accident", they got in trouble for being careless. if they broke the same piece of gear during an "unplanned event", they didnt get in trouble.

we REALLY need government help here...maybe the Dept of Transportation can help by defining overlanding and hopefully give us some rules and laws to follow
I'm in software, it's an unintended feature, not a bug!

-TJ

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
You're welcome to define overlanding however you think it suits you best, but if it doesn't meet at least the minimally-accepted definition then you're going to confuse people or people are going to think you don't know what you're talking about, IMO.

To me, the minimal definition of overlanding is "self-reliant, vehicle-dependent travel to remote locations." Are remote locations and pavement mutually exclusive? No, not necessarily. You could travel through Death Valley and be remote while never leaving pavement, but overlanding is more than whatever someone decides to define it as. There's also the spirit of overlanding. I feel like someone that wants to include any vehicle-based travel as "overlanding" doesn't get the spirit of what overlanding is about. The point isn't to exclude anyone, but to set expectations. If someone asks me if I want to go on an overlanding trip through Utah and they told me they'd be staying on pavement and camping at commercial campgrounds filled with large RVs, trailers, loud/obnoxious people, etc then I'd suggest they may want to reconsider calling that overlanding as that doesn't fit the basic definition or spirit of overlanding.

The term "overlanding" is already viewed as a poser/fad thing by a lot of people, expanding it to include any vehicle-based travel diminishes the meaning even more.

Overlanding is "car camping" but "car camping" isn't always overlanding. If you never leave pavement then just call it car camping, that is a much more general term and it doesn't imply you will or won't be going off-pavement.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Oh boy, just imagine the places that could go...

I can just see the Prius that self-identifies as a triple locked Series 80 LC and insists it has to be allowed on Black Bear Pass or Pritchett Canyon.

And of course we will need to do something about the unfair imbalance of Jeeps and Toyotas on the trails. Preference for hard to reserve spots will need to be given to Buicks and Kias.

This could be rich with opportunity.

Weavor

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Pollard
Member #

To me, someone new here. Overlanding is self reliant adventure in a vehicle. Can an adventure Motorcycle be used for overlanding, how about a honda civic? Would the baja 1000 race be considered an overlanding race? Just because my car cant climb to the highest camping spot or cross that river doesnt mean im not Overlanding.
I know some might not get this, but Overlanding to me is a style not a recipe.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Oh boy, just imagine the places that could go...

I can just see the Prius that self-identifies as a triple locked Series 80 LC and insists it has to be allowed on Black Bear Pass or Pritchett Canyon.

And of course we will need to do something about the unfair imbalance of Jeeps and Toyotas on the trails. Preference for hard to reserve spots will need to be given to Buicks and Kias.

This could be rich with opportunity.
A couple we met on the road, we've become very close friends, showed us photos of the locals in Kazakhstan driving the remote regions in Priuses (Priui... whatever the plural form is). They said it was crazy seeing them fording rivers in them and bouncing along the rough dirt tracks, the vehicles getting heavily beaten. Apparently Japan dumps their aging hybrids in Kazakhstan so the locals just do the best with what they can get.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

we REALLY need government help here...
No we dont they screw up everything already, If thet+y helped they would tell you that its not inclusive enough and we need more trans people

Weavor

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Pollard
Member #

No we dont they screw up everything already, If thet+y helped they would tell you that its not inclusive enough and we need more trans people
Well, I tend to agree with the goverment. The industry has been exclusive for such a long time. You used to find them everywhere almost one on every corner, now you need to search for miles and miles before you find one. Because they are so elusive they are expensive.
No we need to get back to having a transmission expert at every shop, then we could get a repair everywhere.

Reactions: Actus542

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

This thread is hilarious...

• Haha
Reactions: LanceK

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
A couple we met on the road, we've become very close friends, showed us photos of the locals in Kazakhstan driving the remote regions in Priuses (Priui... whatever the plural form is). They said it was crazy seeing them fording rivers in them and bouncing along the rough dirt tracks, the vehicles getting heavily beaten. Apparently Japan dumps their aging hybrids in Kazakhstan so the locals just do the best with what they can get.
It is funny you mention that...

A friend and I put on a transmitter hunt (ham radio game of hide and seek) out in the desert, and one of the hunters came in his Prius. He knew what he was going to be getting into, and so he figured out how to hack the computer (typical ham) and get it to provide power to the wheels the way he wanted it to in the sand. He said the Prius did remarkably well in the sand, attributing much of that to the smooth undercarriage. Rocks would be another matter, and there really isn't any articulation to be had. It was notable that the Prius did not get stuck, but the 2wd Jeep Grand Cherokee did. Go figure.

Reactions: John and Mandi

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
You're welcome to define overlanding however you think it suits you best, but if it doesn't meet at least the minimally-accepted definition then you're going to confuse people or people are going to think you don't know what you're talking about, IMO.

To me, the minimal definition of overlanding is "self-reliant, vehicle-dependent travel to remote locations." Are remote locations and pavement mutually exclusive? No, not necessarily. You could travel through Death Valley and be remote while never leaving pavement, but overlanding is more than whatever someone decides to define it as. There's also the spirit of overlanding. I feel like someone that wants to include any vehicle-based travel as "overlanding" doesn't get the spirit of what overlanding is about. The point isn't to exclude anyone, but to set expectations. If someone asks me if I want to go on an overlanding trip through Utah and they told me they'd be staying on pavement and camping at commercial campgrounds filled with large RVs, trailers, loud/obnoxious people, etc then I'd suggest they may want to reconsider calling that overlanding as that doesn't fit the basic definition or spirit of overlanding.

The term "overlanding" is already viewed as a poser/fad thing by a lot of people, expanding it to include any vehicle-based travel diminishes the meaning even more.

Overlanding is "car camping" but "car camping" isn't always overlanding. If you never leave pavement then just call it car camping, that is a much more general term and it doesn't imply you will or won't be going off-pavement.
excellent post and makes sense.
ive camped and backpacked most of my life and never heard the term "overlanding" until 4 yrs ago when i was looking for a small compact travel trailer. i immediately saw online where "overlanding" was being used as a marketing term to explain gear and equipment for remote off-road and off-grid use. i live east of new mexico and colorado, so 99% of the land is private and there is NO off-road or off-grid places to go (yeah...yeah...there are some, but very few) so a lot of trips are restricted to campgrounds. we do get to do a good bit of boondocking when we go out west, so there are times that the wife and i get to participate in the "overlanding" style of adventure.

as @DRAX so eloquently stated, there is the SPIRIT OF OVERLANDING. now THAT is what is so appealing to me. i can use that even here at home. the self-reliant part of "overlanding" is actually very useful beyond just exploring and having fun. having an "overland" camp trailer that has solar and off-grid capabilities for cooking, shower, charging phones, etc is great to have when we get hit with our regular rounds of hurricanes every year. IDA hit us directly 18 months ago and we were without power for a month and my property looked like a war zone. the only road going to the highway was covered in downed power lines and oak trees...we were trapped at home. having the "overland" camp trailer right there in our driveway was great.
not only did i not leave pavement to "overland"...i never left the driveway! :grinning:

the whole spirit of overlanding thing is about us like-minded-folk wanting to unplug from the structured society we live in and live outside of that bubble...even if just for a few days ever so often. how we go about doing it will inherently be up for debate, but the feelings and enjoyment we get from it and the desire to share that with others is what makes us a community.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAX

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture

ive camped and backpacked most of my life and never heard the term "overlanding" until 4 yrs ago when i was looking for a small compact travel trailer. i immediately saw online where "overlanding" was being used as a marketing term to explain gear and equipment for remote off-road and off-grid use. i live east of new mexico and colorado, so 99% of the land is private and there is NO off-road or off-grid places to go (yeah...yeah...there are some, but very few) so a lot of trips are restricted to campgrounds. we do get to do a good bit of boondocking when we go out west, so there are times that the wife and i get to participate in the "overlanding" style of adventure.

as @DRAX so eloquently stated, there is the SPIRIT OF OVERLANDING. now THAT is what is so appealing to me. i can use that even here at home. the self-reliant part of "overlanding" is actually very useful beyond just exploring and having fun. having an "overland" camp trailer that has solar and off-grid capabilities for cooking, shower, charging phones, etc is great to have when we get hit with our regular rounds of hurricanes every year. IDA hit us directly 18 months ago and we were without power for a month and my property looked like a war zone. the only road going to the highway was covered in downed power lines and oak trees...we were trapped at home. having the "overland" camp trailer right there in our driveway was great.
not only did i not leave pavement to "overland"...i never left the driveway! :grinning:

the whole spirit of overlanding thing is about us like-minded-folk wanting to unplug from the structured society we live in and live outside of that bubble...even if just for a few days ever so often. how we go about doing it will inherently be up for debate, but the feelings and enjoyment we get from it and the desire to share that with others is what makes us a community.
Both of these effectively sum up the reason that I can't say I like overlanding.

Road trips and off-roading. That's what I like.

I can agree, the self-reliance part is the part that separated what I do, from overlanding. Although again, if you didn't dig up your own metals, make your own steel, refine your own fuels, and shoot your own deer with guns you built yourself... then you're not really self-reliant.

Definitions.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX

Both of these effectively sum up the reason that I can't say I like overlanding.

Road trips and off-roading. That's what I like.

I can agree, the self-reliance part is the part that separated what I do, from overlanding. Although again, if you didn't dig up your own metals, make your own steel, refine your own fuels, and shoot your own deer with guns you built yourself... then you're not really self-reliant.

Definitions.
Indeed, definitions. You're talking about being self-sufficient which is different than being self-reliant. ;)

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@DRAX If self-reliance just means living on your own income, I've been overlanding for a long time and didn't even know it!

Kidding. But the concept of overlanding is one that is hard to define, and it seems that each member has his or her own comprehension of it.

It seems that pavement is optional, and camping is less optional. If you can "overland" in your own driveway, then it seemeth to me that the very concept of overlanding is more in the preparation than it is in the actual moving over the land. Which kind of defeats the definition, if you think about it.

I survived a hurricane where roads were flooded for weeks, and I went without power for 11 days. I survived like a survivor, used a generator when I wanted to, and took a cold shower every day. If "roughing it" equals the spirit of overlanding, then that was my longest trip! xD

Reactions: grubworm

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

No.

I'm wanting to start a conversation about on road overlanding. In my opinion overlanding is simply any vehicle dependent exploration of areas unknown or exciting to yourself, this in no way requires you to go off pavement or to have a modified rig.

When we look at it this way you quickly realize that there is a place for the "mild rigged" in our community. For many (myself included) this idea will help to realize that you don't need a modified rig at all, just a reliable one (or an unreliable one if you're into roadside repairs, lol) and a desire to go exploring. For many the idea of modifying has been made to seem like a pre requisite to being in the community. I would say this is flat wrong. There is no reason why you cannot be a part of the overlanding community if you simply take the roads you have never driven and maybe camp out in a spot that looks nice when life allows you to take the time.

So lets hear a little love for the pavement pounders.

And to that new member that is getting overwhelmed by all the "necessities" of overlanding, there is a sub culture for you. Even if it's just me right now, there are members here who for whatever reason are more interested in adventures on pavement in the family car with a minimum of gear...
Hi Dilldog
Overlanding is always on roads, but the road’s may turn to dirt and in some cases just disappear be at from storm damage or just ending.

Any vehicle can be used and the most inappropriate vehicles can turn into big adventure, Top Deck Travel used to drive Overland trips from London to Kathmandu in old UK double deckers on roads that today most people would only take a Jeep Rubicon!

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
If "roughing it" equals the spirit of overlanding, then that was my longest trip! xD
ha works for me!
hopefully neither of us have to deal with that again...at least not for a long time

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow
Long thread.
Me
1. drive away from people. YES that means dirt. Pavement=people. people=bad.
2. stop vehicle
3. find or make shade
4. sit and stare at nature
5. listen to.....nothing
6. make fire
7. sleep
8. repeat, (this may include more dirt driving to sit and stare)

To me, that's overlanding