Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

• HTML tutorial
S

SoCoRuss

But , there are places in Utah in the San Rafael Swell, where you can trail all day long then a quick tripout to a local small town for shower, dinner and fun. Works for both ways.

Reactions: Coleman

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

If there is no off dirt path to get away but just travel in the car and sleep in it.Then all the homless in my area are all overlading.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If there is no off dirt path to get away but just travel in the car and sleep in it.Then all the homless in my area are all overlading.
And if dirt is a requirement I still see tons of homeless that are Overlanding all around me.

The real answer is: "who cares?" If you're getting out and enjoying yourself does it matter what other people call it? Any bar you put out there for something to be "true Overlanding" will have folks screaming on both sides; too low and too high. Just do your thing and enjoy it.

-TJ

Last edited:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
And if dirt is a requirement I still see tons of homeless that are Overlanding all around me.

The real answer is: "who cares?" If you're getting out and enjoying yourself does it matter what other people call it? Any bar you put out there for something to be "true Overlanding" will have folks screaming on both sides; too low and too high. Just do your thing and enjoy it.

-TJ
It was at this moment I wished there was a nuclear option under the like feature.

Reactions: P8trit

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Just know the elites are going to look down their noses at you.

But that was going to be the case anyways.

I am content with "car camping". Much cheaper than overlanding.
I get your sentiment, but if you saw me out w/ my SAS'ed D'max, Four Wheel Camper, and semi-elaborate camp setup you'd prob assume I was an "elite" and I look down on people. The next weekend you might catch me camping *in* (or next to) my basically bone stock Xterra. I think prejudging anyone for how they camp/Overland, what they drive, etc. is a waste of our mental capacity and energy. I've met ppl with Earth Roamers who were cool AF and down to earth, and I've met ppl camping with a Walmart tent that were jerks and territorial about BLM land they had no claim to.

-TJ

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

its not just overlanding...even the homeless have their "elites", too...

View attachment 251936
One of the homeless "elites" around here just froze to death in his bicycle camper in the middle of a homeless compound (that turned out to be backing a friend's back 40).
I joke but I actually had met the guy and had done some welding for him on his bike to tow said " camper". I've been there... many have...
I have been reading this thread laughing. It's all a line in the same that people draw with terminology. In my head it has always been a "road trip" if it's all pavement, "car camping if you are hitting local campgrounds or publics lands, and "overlanding" if you are putting large miles under your belt per trip or crossing borders and longer multi week trips... that doesn't apply here so I assumed my thoughts on the terminology needed to be adjusted.
"I know enough to know, what I don't know" is one of my favorite sayings lol

Reactions: 19mystic96

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
I spent many years “Overlanding” in a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I installed a Tepui roof top tent. I put a set of ko2’s on it. It was the “Overland Minivan”. It went many places I never expected it to. My family and I had many adventures, both on road and off. People in the “Overland” community laughed at us. They said we should have a 4wd. Sadly, last year it died. We now have a 4 wheel drive that is significantly more capable. The other day my 13 year old son, who loved all things “Overland”, said to me, “Dad…I sure miss the minivan. It was the best.” He was right. We did not let haves or have nots prevent us from adventure. We did not let the opinions of others deter us from getting after it. It was simple. It was about the love of adventure. I think that many get lost in tires this and air compressor that….

Adventure is what you make it.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
If I'm to tell the truth, "overlanding" was never either an interest of mine, nor something which I aspired to. The loose definition on this forum of "vehicle-reliant travel" is the only intersection between my interests and my perception of overlanding.

I would have never called my hobby by that name, except for the definition given on this app. I enjoy a good road trip, I absolutely love a hard off-road wheeling session, and I entirely abhor camping. (OK, may be that last one is an exaggeration.) But to live in and out of a vehicle on outings a week or longer... I never wanted to do that, and I never plan to do that. I thought that was what overlanding was; the goal was the journey more than the destination.

Call it what you like, do it how you like, or not at all - but we can all agree that as long as distance is covered, you're going over land!

Thomas Hastings

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Duncan, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Overlanding will mean something different to everyone, as clearly shown in this thread. I've always loved to "explore" so before I had heard the term "overlanding" I guess I was already doing that, in my opinion. Exploring to me though didn't necessarily mean off road, it meant just that, exploring, places I've not yet been or places I really enjoyed and would return to and explore further. Whether it was pavement that I took or dirt roads, I love to explore. For me it's not so much what I'm driving on that's important or that makes me feel like I'm "exploring" or "overloading", but the journey, foremost, and the destinations, whether planned or especially unplanned.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I spent many years “Overlanding” in a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I installed a Tepui roof top tent. I put a set of ko2’s on it. It was the “Overland Minivan”. It went many places I never expected it to. My family and I had many adventures, both on road and off. People in the “Overland” community laughed at us. They said we should have a 4wd. Sadly, last year it died. We now have a 4 wheel drive that is significantly more capable. The other day my 13 year old son, who loved all things “Overland”, said to me, “Dad…I sure miss the minivan. It was the best.” He was right. We did not let haves or have nots prevent us from adventure. We did not let the opinions of others deter us from getting after it. It was simple. It was about the love of adventure. I think that many get lost in tires this and air compressor that….

Adventure is what you make it.
A-effin-men! I wish I would have seen you out on the trail with the minivan when I was in one of my solid axle, locked rigs... the only laughing would have been me laughing at myself for being in such an over-prepared rig as you cruised through with the van!

-TJ