DOES COUNTRY OF ORIGIN INFLUENCE YOUR PURCHASE

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
ake for example the Springbar vs. the Kodiak. I debated whether I should by the American made version over the import, and for me it all boils down to a company being greedy.
An interesting statement ! Company and greedy in the same sentence. I wonder if economics has anything to do with the way they price their goods ?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
It is doubtful that any decision made on what to buy is as simplistic as the name of the country on the label. Folks make personal purchase judgments based on as many factors as companies do. The blurring of country of origin is intentional and is as much the responsibility of our government as that of other countries. If it were only as simple as listening to NPR or FOX to guide these decisions. The reality is, I was made in the USA and some would argue that I'm not any better than them. (<;

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
As many others have said, largely depends on quality, availability, durability, and reputation. Though I'm not fond of supporting countries with horrendous human rights or labor records, I have to admit to owning a bunch of clothing from ExOfficio, The North Face, and Dickies, etc that are made in China, Vietnam, and India. I have to be honest and say I was looking at the quality and features more than where it was made. Harder to find clothing made entirely in the USA, though they do exist.

When it came time to decide on much bigger ticket items, like my trailer, being made in USA played a much larger role. I first decided on vintage military trailers like my M416 and Bantam T3-C (both now up for sale), and am now going for the excellent, multi-purpose XV-2 from Schutt Industries. If someone in the US made as high a quality tent as the Eezi-Awn, or awning like the Bundu-Awn with aluminized fabric (I know, debatable to some which is higher quality for the money), I'd opt for them first. That both now have outlets in the US helps though, in my opinion, in that purchasing from them helps in some small way to support American small business.
I personally do not mind buying products from India. India has a long standing democracy, with a solid human rights record. You can often find brands produced both in India and China. I will only buy the ones produced in India.

Reactions: ClearwaterScott

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
It is doubtful that any decision made on what to buy is as simplistic as the name of the country on the label. Folks make personal purchase judgments based on as many factors as companies do. The blurring of country of origin is intentional and is as much the responsibility of our government as that of other countries. If it were only as simple as listening to NPR or FOX to guide these decisions. The reality is, I was made in the USA and some would argue that I'm not any better than them. (<;
You are correct. When I see any communist country on the label, this is a deal breaker for me. I put it back on the shelf. I don't think I'm alone in this position. I understand that personal economics plays a role in purchases. Products produced with cheep, slave, or child labor tend to be sold at a much lower price. I have the luxury of choice. I can vote my approval or disapproval with my wallet. I'm in a relatively hi tax bracket, it's easy for me to make this choice. Others do not always have the luxury to make these choices. I do not begrudge others, that do not share my opinion (or options) as I have.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I personally do not mind buying products from India. India has a long standing democracy, with a solid human rights record. You can often find brands produced both in India and China. I will only buy the ones produced in India.
I doubt that the Dalits or members of other castes would agree with you. I don't agree that India, or any other country for that matter, has a solid human rights record.

Reactions: Road

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Take for example the Springbar vs. the Kodiak. I debated whether I should by the American made version over the import,
Years ago, when I bought my tent, I actually had the same debate. The Kodiak IMO was improved over the springbar. I think the folks who started Kodiak had some history with Springbar before. I would have bought a springbar due to it being US made... but they had a massive wait list at the time.

So I bought the Kodiak. Which I am very happy with. I do wish they where US made, but they are at least a US company.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I doubt that the Dalits or members of other castes would agree with you. I don't agree that India, or any other country for that matter, has a solid human rights record.
The cast system has been dead for a very long time. A country can only be judged by its laws, and its adherence to these laws. A nation can not control the actions of individuals, but can take actions to remove systemic discrimination. India added Article 15 to its constitution, discrimination against lower castes is illegal. Many members of parliament are from a lower cast. I think this is evidence, that India has moved on from the cast system

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Perhaps on the official face but what is happening is a different story. Report after report from diverse origins assert that the government routinely observes and fosters caste conflict. The idea that the caste system in India is gone is not in line with the reported facts. https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-9 One only has to look at any government, ours included, to realize that what is said and what is done may be two very different things. My only point in this exchange is that buying is never as simple as it seems. The world is a very complicated place and will resist any effort to push it into a square, or round, hole.

Reactions: DesertFox and Road

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Perhaps on the official face but what is happening is a different story. Report after report from diverse origins assert that the government routinely observes and fosters caste conflict. The idea that the caste system in India is gone is not in line with the reported facts. https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-9 One only has to look at any government, ours included, to realize that what is said and what is done may be two very different things. My only point in this exchange is that buying is never as simple as it seems. The world is a very complicated place and will resist any effort to push it into a square, or round, hole.
We will have to agree to disagree on this. A bit off topic anyway. I read the article from the Economist with a bit more of a critical reading. I know that some politicians use polarizing rhetoric, to get elected. Playing to perceptions of injustices, vs reality. This happens in many nations, we see it often playing out in the US. The Casts aren't holding back community's in India. The communities have created a culture, that holds back many from being successful. Once an individual chooses to adopt the cultural norms of the majority culture, success follows. Blaming the Cast system has merely become the excuse for dropping out of school, and not pursuing higher education.

FYI: I was a guest lecturer at India Institute of Technology (IIT), so have some experience in India. My students where from every cast. They simply took ownership of their own success, and stayed in school.

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

I don't want to come across as overly cynical however, when all of the union guys I knew gave me a hard time for buying a German made automobile I told them as soon as they stopped shopping at Walmart - a store which I will NOT partonize bc of the companies intention plan to iliminate local owned business and now continues to use government subsidy (tax credits and welfare for its employees, etc) -- I would buy only America.

I will however pay up to 15% higher price to purchase local.

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
I think overall quality is most important. Made in China doesn't have to mean shit quality.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Country of origin is definitely a consideration. I prefer to buy US made if it's an option, but I also prefer to buy local and make things when I can. Unfortunately, US made isn't always an option, local purchased isn't either. Not to mention my fab skills sometimes aren't up to par. Quality is always the main concern.

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

I go for US made when ever I can but cost and other factors do come into play. Also just because it says US made doesn't mean what most people think. It's put together here in a company somewhere but a whole lost of the parts come from somewhere else. Because of this sometimes all US made does is up the cost.

Lepik

Rank II

Advocate II

Colorado
I try to shop American when it is possible. Unfortunately lately at times I get American and I feel the quality lacks slightly opposed to other countries. I try to avoid china all together but if it is quality and from Switzerland, Mexico, Japan I go for it. At the end of the day I want quality over origin

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Unfortunately, we all have favourites and "baggage" that tends to sway our decisions.
Best advice is to check the quality first (if at all possible) before purchasing anything these days.
And don't become too "Brand Loyal" as brand quality changes over time.
Take a few minutes to check for any reviews online, before making any final decisions.
All countries can produce both quality and crap, dependent upon the market requirements.
If no one buys the crap, then the company will have to change for the better, or go bust !!!
When it comes to equipment - never buy cheap - it will come back to haunt you most of the time....

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

speaking for "me", I feel some foreign companies & their products are IMO better. Example, my Engel 22qt. 12v. fridg freez as a example. Other overland products I feel Australia companies have the advantage. I said this on another forum & you would think I was cutting the throats of USA companies & the overlanders. But again I am only speaking for "me" what I find suitable for the wife & I's use.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I tend to agree with Neil Smith and Arkansas Don, check the quality of the product, get recommendations (like this forum and others). When I was growing up, Japanese products were considered inferior but look at us today driving around in quality 4x4s and luxury cars and talking on our HAM radios from Japan. :sunglasses:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
It makes me howl laughing when i see the "experts" on you tube doing a so called revue on gear they have had five minutes. And are in most cases going to get to keep !!! I wont mention any names , the proof of the pudding is in the eating but to eat we need to purchase , how long is it before a product gains reputation good or bad i trust like minded people and glean as much info as i can off my peers but choose very carefully who my peers are , attending shows and walking round the stall aint going to sell me product is around the carparks and talking to the owners of the trucks with the gear in them tried and tested i like to stand and listern to the guy bringing some thing back or endorsing the product he bought five years ago reputation built on use , WHO YOU BELEAVE IS ANOTHER MATTER

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

some people on you tube feel they are helping as of a review, whether it is reliable or not. It's our choice whether we take what they say is valid or not. It's no different than on a forum like here. Personally as for "me" I go off the company's longevity & reputation like Engel. Their a video on you tube that shows owners of their fridg\freez that are well over 40 plus yrs old & still running sold me on buying an Engel. What works for them may not work for me.

When I was in search of a solar system for my trailer build I looked at every one of them & talked with many. I settled with Renogy because of the customer service & their cells are built in Germany. The Germans have that reputation od quality like optics, cutlery, guns, crystal. The Germans are starting to lead in the digital industrial manufacturing now. Engel uses a German made compressor in their fridg freez. In this case with my choice of fridg\freez & solar system my research did paid off.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
some people on you tube feel they are helping as of a review, whether it is reliable or not. It's our choice whether we take what they say is valid or not. It's no different than on a forum like here. Personally as for "me" I go off the company's longevity & reputation like Engel. Their a video on you tube that shows owners of their fridg\freez that are well over 40 plus yrs old & still running sold me on buying an Engel. What works for them may not work for me.

When I was in search of a solar system for my trailer build I looked at every one of them & talked with many. I settled with Renogy because of the customer service & their cells are built in Germany. The Germans have that reputation od quality like optics, cutlery, guns, crystal. The Germans are starting to lead in the digital industrial manufacturing now. Engel uses a German made compressor in their fridg freez. In this case with my choice of fridg\freez & solar system my research did paid off.
I agree with your premise. Research is key and who you eventually believe is on you. When I got my fridge it came down to size, volume, reliability and fit, even though my good friend had a competing brand it was on me to eventually make the choice (oh and my wife too :blush:).

Reactions: ArkansasDon