DOES COUNTRY OF ORIGIN INFLUENCE YOUR PURCHASE

• HTML tutorial

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

I buy local when possible. After that I try to base it on the company and how they behave. For instance Patagonia makes a lot of their stuff in India/Bangladesh etc like most companies. However they are working hard to make sure their factories are fair wage, fair treatment.

I notice that a lot of retail companies, like shoes for instance, are starting to carry some of their items made in the US. It at least give you a choice so you can decide if any price difference is worth the extra.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I like my things to last long enough that I can get sentimental about them. There is just something wrong about buying stuff that I know I'll probably throw out in a couple years that bothers me. In my experience quality can be hit or miss coming from any country and for that reason my purchasing decisions have a lot to do with serviceability. What I find is that stuff made in China is generally put in the trash bin as soon as something breaks whereas I know my Swiss watches can be serviced ;) (my Tissot is being sent off as we speak for a "full service"). My vehicles have to have parts readily available so while I'd love to drive a Land Rover, it's harder getting parts where I live. For things that don't typically live beyond a couple years (like say, computers), I don't really care where they are made, so long as they are made of acceptable quality and made responsibly (if I can even ascertain that).

Reactions: blackntan

MikeO

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sweden
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Olofsson
Member #

I try to buy quality where it matters, but then it's more down to brand reputation than country of origin. Stuff that will keep me alive, save significant effort, provide a markable difference in comfort or piece of mind.
Other things don't really matter - they can come from wherever. The quality of basic items and materials have gone up so much the last couple of decades that their origin don't really matter anymore.

Reactions: NW David

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I try to buy quality where it matters, but then it's more down to brand reputation than country of origin. Stuff that will keep me alive, save significant effort, provide a markable difference in comfort or piece of mind.
Other things don't really matter - they can come from wherever. The quality of basic items and materials have gone up so much the last couple of decades that their origin don't really matter anymore.
^ Yes

oh and @Longshot270 way my texan family members think, it should be labeled "Made in Texas" if it is, and there rest of us can have "Made in USA" [emoji87] (fingers crossed you laughed!)

Reactions: MikeO

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'd love to be able to say that I only buy American made, but alas, I can't. There's many factors that can and often do lead me away from some American made products. The primary factor being cost. If you can find a product that is being made abroad with the same quality craftsmanship, but for half the price, by all means go for it. Take for example the Springbar vs. the Kodiak. I debated whether I should by the American made version over the import, and for me it all boils down to a company being greedy. There's no reason that springbar cant bring their price down to within a hundred dollars of the kodiak. Another factor to consider is what a country is good at such as Australia. A lot of our overlanding knowledge comes from Australia, because that's a way of life for them. I try to model my rig after their tried and true methods, because I'm not that into re-inventing the wheel. I'll by ARB products all day long over some flimsy piece of steel that someone put together in their garage locally. But again, if I can find something of similar quality from somewhere else for cheaper, I will by that. Such as the tuff-stuff awning over the ARB awning. I wouldn't over think it too much though. Ultimately it boils down to what your budget is, and getting out there to explore. I'd rather have my needs taken care of as cheaply as possible, so I can afford to get there. No sense in having the top of the line parts, if you're never going to be able to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Country of origin can be a deciding factor for me. It's getting harder and harder to find quality now. And, ummm, watch carhartt also. Made in Mexico is stamped in a lor of their clothes now, and I've seen Made in China on a few carhartt items. Always check the tag!
There is a difference between knock-offs and the real thing. Unfortunately, no one can stop Mexico and China from copyright infringement. The only thing that we can do is still buy the real thing and report the fakes to the original manufacturers and let them deal with it.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
There is a difference between knock-offs and the real thing. Unfortunately, no one can stop Mexico and China from copyright infringement. The only thing that we can do is still buy the real thing and report the fakes to the original manufacturers and let them deal with it.

I took a picture today of a carhartt pants I saw.20170429_091644.jpg It isn't copyright infringement, and it isn't fake, it's where carhartt is made. The original duck clothing in made in Mexico mostly. Some is still US made, but only a small part. Go ahead and report it to carhartt, they already know.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I wasn't necessarily talking about Carhartt. Have you ever gone into Mexico or a border state/town during any American sporting event/season and seen all of the copycat stuff that is being sold?

MikeO

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sweden
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Olofsson
Member #

I wasn't necessarily talking about Carhartt. Have you ever gone into Mexico or a border state/town during any American sporting event/season and seen all of the copycat stuff that is being sold?
Sure, it's enough to just look at EBay - for every brand name product there are a huge selection copies and anywhere from 10-50% price, even with pictures swiped directly off the original brands web site. I believe there was an incident at SEMA last year where they threw out a couple of vendors selling knock-offs.
But for general items that will not see the any stress or you won't depend on with your life (e.g. a simple camping chair or a plastic detail on your rig), there isn't really any R&D involved and these are commodities. What's the incentive to pony up the price if you're not specifically doing it specifically to support local business?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

^ Yes

oh and @Longshot270 way my texan family members think, it should be labeled "Made in Texas" if it is, and there rest of us can have "Made in USA" [emoji87] (fingers crossed you laughed!)
Bingo! Lol

That is factually true, I think the TX legislature is talking about a bill that any wine sold as "Texas wine" must have a minimum percentage of Texas wine in it, since people in Texas have a preference for Texas wine.

But I do seek out the knock offs when vendors are obviously over priced or thinking a few stickers justifies a doubling of price. I spent a fair amount of time in retail and know a little bit of the markup game. My latest example, my propane splitter. The big rv store wanted $60 for it when I found it on Amazon for $20, and the two look exactly the same. In my opinion there is no justification for such a markup when I know both were primarily made by computer controlled machinery.

Reactions: NW David

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Something I thought of this morning, I specifically avoid brands that use USA in the name but are made in China <edit: or anywhere other than theUS :end edit> to save on costs.

i.e. "Body armor 4x4 USA"

IMO, it is intentionally misleading and poor business practice

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Something I thought of this morning, I specifically avoid brands that use USA in the name but are made in China <edit: or anywhere other than theUS :end edit> to save on costs.

i.e. "Body armor 4x4 USA"

IMO, it is intentionally misleading and poor business practice

Oh, those are horrible! Does anyone buy that stuff? Serious.. thats's bad.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I guess in some aspects country of origin does influence the kit you buy as you know what local resellers / distributors / manufactures are like

also you tend to see more of a particular product in use depending on your climate you are either visiting or live in,

So here in UK we have quite alot of people getting RTT's to go out camping as in some parts using a ground tent it either gets waterlogged or blown away (even in the good seasons) lol

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

It's hard with the continuing push for mass globalization and companies using parts sourced from all over the world but generally I'm ok with stuff made in and from other first world countries (US/UK/EU/Australia/Canada/Japan/etc) especially for safety equipment or tools or vehicle mods or other most any higher price items..

thou I also tend to be very cautious with the I've got a chop-saw and welder so now I'm an amazing "made-in-the usa" fabricator types ... just look at the different in the design/testing/air-bag-compliance/meeting various international safety regs that ARB puts into a bumper vs all the ones labeled as "off-road-only" options (done so the companies doesn't actual have to rigorously test and/or meet any real safety standards) as to the stuff from the local and/or unknown little guy, I have found that can be a real crap shoot (not saying that some home/cottage-industry fabs can't be amazing, the rock-sliders that I have had on My X for the last 15+ years have been basically indestructible but most of the time not so much)

overall I've become very disheartened with and sick of the whole profit>people aspects of many many many companies ... quietly, company reputation, adherence to highest levels of safety standards, customer service all trump price ... I would much rather save for a bit longer and do it right the first time, then simply run out and buy something that looks cool or is "cheep/cheaper/cheapest"

Now if where taking a new dvd, a pair of jeans, a broom, or other common basic stuff that I don't really care how good it is or long it will last then made-in some undeveloped/developing country is sadly but realistically far more practical, cost effective and more or less unavoidable.

Last edited:

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Oh, those are horrible! Does anyone buy that stuff? Serious.. thats's bad.
I think that there may have been a slight misunderstanding. I, in no way was bashing the aforementioned company. In fact the dealings

1 - Not only did they seem like great people - The salesperson was friendly an even lamented a little when he disclosed to me that their bumpers are made in china. He explained that its just cheaper.

2 - The quality seemed to be pretty good. - granted I didn't X-ray the welds nor did i do a flex test, or this or that but it seemed very solid

3 - Original and Aggressive designs - Personally i think that their designs are friggin awesome!

4 - The price is reasonable - So much so, that i would have purchased from them (even though they're made in china i just couldn't get past the fact that they put USA in the name but made in china.)

Forgive my ramblings. Did you buy some of their stuff? Can you give examples as to what makes them horrible? Is shaming the people who do buy "that stuff" nessicary?

Don't get me wrong were all entitled to our opinions. However, instead of a generic statement, maybe elaborate a little more :coldsweat: I genuinely would like to hear back from you on this. for fear of sounding preachy... lets just keep it in the spirit of the site :sweatsmile:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

For me Quality matters over country, though when the cost difference is reasonable for the same quality. I'll get the Made in USA item over the import nearly every time.

As an amateur photographer and woodworker I've spent a lot of $$$ on gear for my hobbies. I've found that buying high quality the first time is far less expensive than buying the low cost import item 3 times over. Then having to buy the high quality version to get the results that I require. For example I've broken 2 Bogen/Manfrotto (Made in Italy) tripods each costing ~$300. Now Manfrotto is NO WHERE NEAR a craptastic import. They build quality products, but parts to repair were not available and their support answer was to send me over to sales to buy another tripod. I now have multiple Really Right Stuff tripods each that cost nearly a grand new, but they are guaranteed for life and made in USA down to the lube on the leg locks and smallest screw. After ~ 5 years I've only had 1 RRS product break and they were quick to offer a repair / replacement. Can't complain.

Recently my father's Op/Tech USA camera strap broke. Not the strap itself but the hardware that connects the strap to the camera. He emailed them pictures and they replied that he could send it in for no cost repair. They also noted that based on the hardware in the pictures the strap was over 30 years old. This is for a strap that likely cost ~$10 new.

I've had similar good experience with Made in USA clothing. I have one of the last Carhartt Duck jackets that was made in USA before they shipped this style offshore. This jacket is over 10 years old and is warn nearly every day for more than 1/2 the year. It's starting to wear thin in a few places, and luckily they have started to bring back some styles to be made in the USA. Looking at my favorite store they have 31 Carhartt items that are made in the US (http://workingperson.com/made-in-the-usa.html?fnav=1) My girlfriend who is far less active wears out 1-2 jackets a winter. Usually the zipper craps out or she wears through the left elbow.

Speaking of quality I always look for YKK zippers (Made in Japan), I understand that they cost a bit more than other makes of zippers and that if a company is looking for quality they will get YKK over anything else. If the garment or bag is made to be thrown away they will use something else. I've gone tearing through thrift stores to get YKK zippers from luggage for projects that I need to last because it is often less expensive to remove a long YKK from a duffle bag than to purchase a new non-ykk zipper from the fabric store.

Boort